NFL Changes 2015

Gothamite

LBs will be able to wear numbers in the 40s this year. I never liked seeing them in 90s, so maybe this will reduce that. I just hope that not all of the rookies and traded players go with 40s, like how the overwhelming majority of WRs seem to want numbers in the teens. It's gotten so bad that when I see someone in an 80s jersey, I automatically think he's old, even if he is a rookie.

Defensive number rules are kinda silly. There's been LBs in the 70s, plenty of DLs in the 50s, both in the 90s, and very few players in the 60s (Russel Mariland comes to mind.) I don't really understand why there's a number shortage - I think they just don't organize it properly. For example, any lineman and linebacker is allowed to wear a 50s, but DLs and LBs can also wear 90s. So if a team's DL and LBs all decided to wear 50s and maybe some 70s, those 90s would be untouched, but also off limits to the OL, who now has fewer numbers to pull from. Maybe just do something like 50s/90s LB/DL, and 60s/70s OL.

The days of a player being only a center and therefore being forced to wear a 50s number are over anyway, so what does it matter?

I wonder how they'd do it if the numbering system was starting from scratch today. It seems kind of silly to designate 50-60-70-90 as ineligible, while 80s is fine. I wonder if it's totally an aesthetic thing and the rulemakers just thought that slick receivers running down the field wearing numbers like 97 or 56 would just look silly? If anything, wouldn't your ends (as in "split ends") be the ones who should wear the 90s?

Interesting topic. When you put it that way, 80s for WR's does seem a bit arbitrary. I've never really thought about it like that. I do like how the skill positions in college are able to have more freedom with their number selection.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already have a feeling that by the time week one rolls around everyone is going to be sick of gold. My guess is just about anything NFL will in some way have gold incorporated in it. Team merchandise with logos in all gold, all gold jerseys, gold hats, gold gloves, gold socks, gold toasters, gold towels, gold bed sheets, gold lamps, gold rugs, gold footballs, gold bottle openers, gold car magnets, gold shoes, gold toilet seat covers, gold phone cases, gold helmets, gold tickets at games, gold banners, gold flags, gold tinted visors (someone will where one), gold on the fields, gold referees flags, gold plates, gold silverware, gold bobble heads, ... um ... gold backpacks, gold key chains, gold shoe laces, gold shot glasses, gold pins, gold pencils, gold coins (for the coin toss), gold slippers, gold golf balls, gold lunch boxes, gold sweaters, gold pants, gold pillows, gold shower curtains, gold game controllers, gold mugs, gold cups, gold stickers, gold toothbrush, maybe we’ll see some goald posts on the fields, gold colored hotdogs at games, gold game programs, gold watches, gold piggy banks, gold picture frames, gold folding chairs, gold fans, gold staplers, gold scissors, gold fish, golden grams, golden retrievers, golden nugget, the golden arches, gold plated gold, and gold.

Looking forward to it.

I hereby nominate this for "gold" post of the year..... LOL

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

I already have a feeling that by the time week one rolls around everyone is going to be sick of gold. My guess is just about anything NFL will in some way have gold incorporated in it. Team merchandise with logos in all gold, all gold jerseys, gold hats, gold gloves, gold socks, gold toasters, gold towels, gold bed sheets, gold lamps, gold rugs, gold footballs, gold bottle openers, gold car magnets, gold shoes, gold toilet seat covers, gold phone cases, gold helmets, gold tickets at games, gold banners, gold flags, gold tinted visors (someone will where one), gold on the fields, gold referees flags, gold plates, gold silverware, gold bobble heads, ... um ... gold backpacks, gold key chains, gold shoe laces, gold shot glasses, gold pins, gold pencils, gold coins (for the coin toss), gold slippers, gold golf balls, gold lunch boxes, gold sweaters, gold pants, gold pillows, gold shower curtains, gold game controllers, gold mugs, gold cups, gold stickers, gold toothbrush, maybe we’ll see some goald posts on the fields, gold colored hotdogs at games, gold game programs, gold watches, gold piggy banks, gold picture frames, gold folding chairs, gold fans, gold staplers, gold scissors, gold fish, golden grams, golden retrievers, golden nugget, the golden arches, gold plated gold, and gold.

Looking forward to it.

Your name isn't Benjamin Buford Blue, is it?

I already have a feeling that by the time week one rolls around everyone is going to be sick of gold. My guess is just about anything NFL will in some way have gold incorporated in it. Team merchandise with logos in all gold, all gold jerseys, gold hats, gold gloves, gold socks, gold toasters, gold towels, gold bed sheets, gold lamps, gold rugs, gold footballs, gold bottle openers, gold car magnets, gold shoes, gold toilet seat covers, gold phone cases, gold helmets, gold tickets at games, gold banners, gold flags, gold tinted visors (someone will where one), gold on the fields, gold referees flags, gold plates, gold silverware, gold bobble heads, ... um ... gold backpacks, gold key chains, gold shoe laces, gold shot glasses, gold pins, gold pencils, gold coins (for the coin toss), gold slippers, gold golf balls, gold lunch boxes, gold sweaters, gold pants, gold pillows, gold shower curtains, gold game controllers, gold mugs, gold cups, gold stickers, gold toothbrush, maybe well see some goald posts on the fields, gold colored hotdogs at games, gold game programs, gold watches, gold piggy banks, gold picture frames, gold folding chairs, gold fans, gold staplers, gold scissors, gold fish, golden grams, golden retrievers, golden nugget, the golden arches, gold plated gold, and gold.

Looking forward to it.

Your name isn't Benjamin Buford Blue, is it?

"I know all they is 'bout shrimp."

LBs will be able to wear numbers in the 40s this year. I never liked seeing them in 90s, so maybe this will reduce that. I just hope that not all of the rookies and traded players go with 40s, like how the overwhelming majority of WRs seem to want numbers in the teens. It's gotten so bad that when I see someone in an 80s jersey, I automatically think he's old, even if he is a rookie.

Defensive number rules are kinda silly. There's been LBs in the 70s, plenty of DLs in the 50s, both in the 90s, and very few players in the 60s (Russel Mariland comes to mind.) I don't really understand why there's a number shortage - I think they just don't organize it properly. For example, any lineman and linebacker is allowed to wear a 50s, but DLs and LBs can also wear 90s. So if a team's DL and LBs all decided to wear 50s and maybe some 70s, those 90s would be untouched, but also off limits to the OL, who now has fewer numbers to pull from. Maybe just do something like 50s/90s LB/DL, and 60s/70s OL.

The days of a player being only a center and therefore being forced to wear a 50s number are over anyway, so what does it matter?

I wonder how they'd do it if the numbering system was starting from scratch today. It seems kind of silly to designate 50-60-70-90 as ineligible, while 80s is fine. I wonder if it's totally an aesthetic thing and the rulemakers just thought that slick receivers running down the field wearing numbers like 97 or 56 would just look silly? If anything, wouldn't your ends (as in "split ends") be the ones who should wear the 90s?

Interesting topic. When you put it that way, 80s for WR's does seem a bit arbitrary. I've never really thought about it like that. I do like how the skill positions in college are able to have more freedom with their number selection.

It's really not arbitrary at all. I believe the original intent was that position numbers were to be more rigid so if you take players that line up on the line of scrimmage you start with the center in the 50's, guards 60's, tackles 70's and work your way to the ends you end up in the 80's.

Here's a crude illustration of a basic T formation and what I believe the original intent was:

80 70 60 50 60 70 80

20 30 40

The WR position has evolved from the original offensive end position. As the game started to incorporate more passing, formations started to designate one of the ends on a wider split, which essentially created the split end position (X). Now you essentially have a new position created which required differentiation from the other end position on the other side of the formation which continued to line up near the tackle which gave us a renamed tight end (Y) position. The last position of the receiver group is not an end and while we typically use the WR designation interchangeably the flanker, wing back, slot back (Z) is actually part of the backfield as they don't line up on the line of scrimmage.

Looking forward to it.

Your post needs more gold thongs.

87Redskins.png

Looking forward to it.

Your post needs more gold thongs.

boratPA1306_228x566.jpg

2016 Pro Bowl uniforms

Pro-Bowl-NFL-gold-03-22-15.png

Per CBS sports.

Example of logos bordered in gold for sideline apparel

Seahawks-gold-NFL-03-15-22.png

And the logos for Kickoff and the playoffs

Gold-NFL-logos-503-03-22-15.png

They also state the Lombardi is still silver, but the winners will receive a "50" trophy as well cast in bronze and plated in gold, designed by Tiffany and each numeral weighs about 33 pounds.

CA4-3VfWUAA9o8A.jpg

And here are the game balls

03_OTF_footballs_dark_v11.jpg

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25120528/nfl-going-gold-in-2015-to-celebrate-super-bowl-50-5-things-to-know

6uXNWAo.png

Colts have released a new all white uniform for the upcoming season:

http://www.colts.com/photos/photo-gallery/Colts-New-White-Uniforms-for-2015/fab139f4-b0f2-4c47-b07a-07d507d1ccb7#start

In other news... Happy April Fools Day

Unfortunately I could see Nike doing something like this if the league would let them except with a blue outline around the numbers... I am sure it has been discussed in the College Basketball thread but why would a school sign off (Duke) to have their name not seen by anyone on their Jerseys just makes no sense... Sorry for the rant just cant stand stuff like that...

Colts have released a new all white uniform for the upcoming season:

http://www.colts.com/photos/photo-gallery/Colts-New-White-Uniforms-for-2015/fab139f4-b0f2-4c47-b07a-07d507d1ccb7#start

In other news... Happy April Fools Day

I don't even think that would be allowed by the league if it was real. Would need at least contrasting outlines like the Kentucky/Duke tourney unis.

Archived