Crabcake47

2017 MLB Postseason Thread

2 hours ago, kroywen said:

I'm not a pessimist, in general, but I think I'm the kind of fan that doesn't like to get his hopes up. (Might be a hard learned lesson from 2001, 2003, and 2004, in my case.) So I have to admit, it amazes me how many people think the Yankees have this series in the bag.

If I were a betting man, I'd still say the Astros have slightly better odds than the Yankees at this point in time. The Astros have home field advantage if this series goes a full 7, and they have Keuchel and Verlander going in two of those games. That proved to be a deadly combination once already in this series, and while I don't think the Yankees offense will look quite as hapless against those two starters the second time around, they're still certainly daunting. So by no means do the Yankees have this in the bag.

That said, it's probably a coin flip right now. These are two very well-matched teams, and either one can win this series. I am not letting myself get too excited about a possible World Series appearance for the Yankees, just because I know how much worse losing feels when you previously thought it was a sure thing (or close to it). But the fact that it can happen, that this team is two wins away from the World Series, is incredibly exciting.

Whatever happens in the remainder of this postseason, the Yankees have already won this season in my book. This team has surpassed all expectations. They've seen multiple young players emerge as cornerstones for the franchise (Judge, Sanchez, Severino, and I'd include Gregorius and Chad Green as standout young players as well). They've been one of the most fun, exciting, enjoyable teams I've ever seen. Whatever happens from here - an ALCS loss, a pennant, or a world championship (pinch me!) - I'm ecstatic with how this season has gone.

Pretty much all of this. Astros still have the favorable situation in terms of home field and starting pitching. And if we're talking about the Yankees not doing as poorly vs. Keuchel and Verlander this time around, it's only fair to suggest the same for Houston against Tanaka and Severino. Houston has 18 hits in 34.1 innings in this series. This is the best offense in baseball from this season. How long can we expect that to hold up?

Houston is still in the better position. They only need one win at Yankee Stadium to be in total control; it's hard for me to see the Yankees going to Houston and beating them twice. So, hopefully, they only need to win one game down there after today.

The Yankees have something magical going on.  I know that's bordering on superstitious, but it's nevertheless something I don't bet against.

The only reason I don't think it's in the bag is because they will have to beat Verlander or Kuechel.

Really hoping the Dodgers can win tonight and sweep the series. Even one win is gonna let the Cubs back in, I know it. Dodgers just want to end it tonight. Here's hoping they can do it...

As for the ALCS, I think whoever wins today will win the series. Because now it's basically a best-of-3, and that makes Game 5 more akin to a Game 1. The winner of that game sets the momentum, I think.

Now it comes down to whether the Yankees can win an LCS game on the road.  

Astros have that stench of choking dog on them. They started it in 2015 and this feels like a continuation. No way they win the next two. 

At least Wade Davis has been burned for Game 5.

So the Dodgers should be completely fine if Granderson, Utley, Grandal and Ethier all don't start at the same time again. They were basicly four automatic tonight. 

Genuine question: why did Roberts mess with a lineup that won 6-1 last night? A lineup that came back almost immediately from a deficit, then broke the game open? I'm sure there was some statistical/sabermetric reason why Granderson and Utley deserved starts, but the thing is, baseball really is about momentum. Did Roberts not see his lineup from last night and really the entire postseason has been working fine? The Dodgers were doing just fine without those two starting. This is what I dislike about Roberts. There is no need to fix what isn't broken. Now the Dodgers have effectively wasted a Kershaw start in the World Series, assuming they get there.

Also, did Dodgers score first today? If they did, the team scoring first has lost every game this NLCS. Kind of interesting.

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm just imagining the dbadefense freakout, and I'm smiling.

knowing baseball and how the baseball gods always make history come back as an irony zombie, i'm worried some 2004 ALCS Game 4 :censored: happens in the 9th tonight. like if it goes into the bottom of the 9th with the dodgers up 4-3 and a Cub gets on, then clutchly steals second when everyone knows he's going to, i'm turning the game off and going to bed.

Which is exactly why I'm still scared of these Cubs. They've reached Blackhawks-levels of playoff invincibility.

I'm terrified of these last three NLCS games we'll be playing.

SON OF A :censored: ING BITCH :censored: :censored: :censored:  2004 :censored:  BEGINS

oh, one more

I sense 2004 from these Cubs.

2 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

That Yankees-Cubs Series is going to be lit

With how they've been playing, i don't think there's any way that the Cubs are winning this series. 

Down 3-1, the Cubs have the Dodgers exactly where they want them. 

#CubsIn7

Three more, you crazy Southern California dream killers. 

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Down 3-1, the Cubs have the Dodgers exactly where they want them. 

#CubsIn7

No.

Quintana throwing tonight + Granderson out of the lineup + Kershaw day gives me a bit more confidence than last night.

We're gonna get a Yankees Dodgers World Series. Like, for real this time. 

Uggh. Go Yankees. 

0eNv_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

All the Cubs have to do is score at least 8 runs and win this game, and then win two more. Don't get too comfortable, Dodgers fans! 

9 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

We're gonna get a Yankees Dodgers World Series. Like, for real this time. 

Uggh. Go Yankees. 

0eNv_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Verlander is pitching tomorrow night..The ALCS could continue into Saturday Night...