tigerslionspistonshabs

NFL Playoffs: Super Bowl LIII

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I’ve long been a proponent of keeping the OT rules as they currently are because I’ve always held the belief that if your defense can’t stop the other team, you deserve to lose.

 

But one team's defense doesn't have to stop the other team.  It's not fair.  Look at a game like last year's SB - it was an offensive showcase.  The OT rules would totally change the game, because now one of the teams playing neck-and-neck offensively with the other team probably doesn't get a chance to do that.

 

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I like the current OT system just fine, but I get the complaints about it. What I don't get is all the people calling for the college OT system. I really dislike college OT. It's not real football, it's a minigame that only superficially resembles the actual game. If they must change OT, just make it a "fifth quarter" and be done with it.

 

Well in a real game, the game isn't over if the team runs the opening kickoff back for a touchdown, so that's even less like a real game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Who people are cheering for in the Super Bowl...

 

DxaGaj5X0AYKlzd?format=jpg&name=large

 

They forgot Alaska and Hawai'i :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

They forgot Alaska and Hawai'i :P

 

And Canada too. 🙂

 

Edit: if I were to guess, I'd say Hawaii & Alaska both cheer for the Rams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

 

And Canada too. 🙂

... you might as well throw in Puerto Rico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The Patriots isn't tainted, but it still wasn't a well-called game by any stretch.  

 

Yesterday's game wasn't tainted (the only thing that should be talked about is that both teams should get at least one possession in playoff OT unless a defensive TD or safety happens) by a bad call, but I feel that everything that NE has done since Spygate came out in 07-08 is tainted because the Pats only got a slap on the wrist. In my opinion, Belichick, Ernie Adams, and maybe even Brady should have been banned for life, along with other assistants and aides that were in on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DnBronc said:

 

Yesterday's game wasn't tainted (the only thing that should be talked about is that both teams should get at least one possession in playoff OT unless a defensive TD or safety happens) by a bad call, but I feel that everything that NE has done since Spygate came out in 07-08 is tainted because the Pats only got a slap on the wrist. In my opinion, Belichick, Ernie Adams, and maybe even Brady should have been banned for life, along with other assistants and aides that were in on it.

 

Woah, man! Put some oven mitts on, you're liable to burn yourself on a take that hot!

 

Seriously, Spygate was literally the Patriots filming another team's signals in the wrong place on the field. Filming signals itself isn't illegal, everyone does it, they just did it in an illegal spot. If it were any other team in any sport, nobody would have cared. Case in point, the Astros had personnel sneak into the tunnels behind opposing teams dugouts and film them during games. This happened this year and nobody discusses it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record I like the NFL's overtime rules as is. However if they had to change it, adopting the (now defunct) UFL's OT rules would be the option that would likely please most people.

  • It's an extra (timed) period where a coin toss to determines the first possession, followed up by a kickoff.
  • Both teams get a possession. If the score is still tied after each team had a possession, THEN it becomes sudden death. 
  • A defensive score in the first possession of OT by fumble recovery, interception return or safety ends the game.
  • In regular season, if the score is still tied after the OT period expires the game ends in a tie.
  • In the playoffs (assuming now because this scenario never happened in the UFL) if the score is still tied after the OT period expires, the game then goes on to 2OT. No additional coin toss, the game continues where previous possession which ended the first OT period left off. 2OT (and beyond) is sudden death.

Disclaimer: This is my first time visiting this season's playoff thread, so forgive me if someone else suggested a similar overtime system.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

 

Woah, man! Put some oven mitts on, you're liable to burn yourself on a take that hot!

 

Seriously, Spygate was literally the Patriots filming another team's signals in the wrong place on the field. Filming signals itself isn't illegal, everyone does it, they just did it in an illegal spot. If it were any other team in any sport, nobody would have cared. Case in point, the Astros had personnel sneak into the tunnels behind opposing teams dugouts and film them during games. This happened this year and nobody discusses it.

 

It was more than that. They had a second frequency in Tom Brady's ear so the offensive coordinator (or Ernie Adams, the "Director of Football Research") can talk to him after the NFL cuts off the communication in his helmet (they monitor the main frequency). They also had mikes on their D-Linemen to get QB audibles, and they were jamming opposing coaches' headsets.

 

In addition, one of my friends told me that Mike Pereira talked about how they cheated three ways:

 

1. They would go into the other teams' locker room and film what they wrote on the board.

2. They would have guys on the sideline filming with press passes (In 2006, during the Pats@Packers game, the Lambeau stadium officials found a NE staffer filming in the wrong place, and got rid of him)

3. They would have a camera posted on a flagpole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DnBronc said:

 

It was more than that. They had a second frequency in Tom Brady's ear so the offensive coordinator (or Ernie Adams, the "Director of Football Research") can talk to him after the NFL cuts off the communication in his helmet (they monitor the main frequency). They also had mikes on their D-Linemen to get QB audibles, and they were jamming opposing coaches' headsets.

 

In addition, one of my friends told me that Mike Pereira talked about how they cheated three ways:

 

1. They would go into the other teams' locker room and film what they wrote on the board.

2. They would have guys on the sideline filming with press passes (In 2006, during the Pats@Packers game, the Lambeau stadium officials found a NE staffer filming in the wrong place, and got rid of him)

3. They would have a camera posted on a flagpole.

 

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, DnBronc said:

 

Yesterday's game wasn't tainted (the only thing that should be talked about is that both teams should get at least one possession in playoff OT unless a defensive TD or safety happens) by a bad call, but I feel that everything that NE has done since Spygate came out in 07-08 is tainted because the Pats only got a slap on the wrist. In my opinion, Belichick, Ernie Adams, and maybe even Brady should have been banned for life, along with other assistants and aides that were in on it.

I totally agree, and the fact that the Patriots were shameless enough to have another cheating scandal later on in the dynasty is proof that the league went too soft on Spygate. The Patriots pretty much traded the integrity of the game for a few rings. Great deal for them, horrible for the league's product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I totally agree, and the fact that the Patriots were shameless enough to have another cheating scandal later on in the dynasty is proof that the league went too soft on Spygate. The Patriots pretty much traded the integrity of the game for a few rings. Great deal for them, horrible for the league's product.

 

Yeah I hear ya. Despised the Pats ever since Spygate.

 

But either way, I am still optimistic that the AAF can offer a good alternative...at least till the sun sets on the Pats' so-called "dynasty."

 

Oh yeah and lest we forget Sean Payton and Bountygate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

 

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Aren't you at all curious why the NFL destroyed all the tapes instead of letting people know what they truly were doing? This wasn't a short term thing.

 

Don't you find it interesting that 2007 was the year of spygate, and the next three years the Patriots didn't make an AFC championship game? The Patriots were in 3 straight AFCCGs before Spygate. Then, punished and had their 'edge' taken away and couldn't make it for three straight years. And then were right back it for the past EIGHT years in the AFCCG? And were caught cheating once again along the way but again a slap on the wrist?

 

To say they were 'filming where they weren't supposed to' isn't what they were in trouble for. It's how they got caught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Don't you find it interesting that 2007 was the year of spygate, and the next three years the Patriots didn't make an AFC championship game? The Patriots were in 3 straight AFCCGs before Spygate. Then, punished and had their 'edge' taken away and couldn't make it for three straight years.

 

God I miss that 2008-2010 era when the Patriots were actually mortal for a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

 

God I miss that 2008-2010 era when the Patriots were actually mortal for a change.

 

So do I.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Tracy Jordan said:

 

God I miss that 2008-2010 era when the Patriots were actually mortal for a change.

 

One factor in NE's return to immortality (except for the 2013 season, the first four games of 2014, and the end of the 2015 season and AFC Title Game) is the putrid AFC East. Since 2010, the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets have only had one winning season each (the 2016 Dolphins and 17 Bills somehow got to the playoffs, while the 15 Jets didn't). Also, since 2011, the Three Stooges of the AFC East have had 14 different head coaches and 23 different QB's start at least one game for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tracy Jordan said:

 

God I miss that 2008-2010 era when the Patriots were actually mortal for a change.

 

How about 2005-2013 when the Patriots made only 2 SB's in 9 years and won 0 titles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DnBronc said:

 

One factor in NE's return to immortality (except for the 2013 season, the first four games of 2014, and the end of the 2015 season and AFC Title Game) is the putrid AFC East. Since 2010, the Bills, Dolphins, and Jets have only had one winning season each (the 2016 Dolphins and 17 Bills somehow got to the playoffs, while the 15 Jets didn't). Also, since 2011, the Three Stooges of the AFC East have had 14 different head coaches and 23 different QB's start at least one game for them.

No, the Patriots are not Actually Bad. Maybe having the best team ever in your division makes it harder to succeed?

 

From 2010 to now, the Patriots have essentially the same record against the AFC East as they do against the rest of the league (70-20, 43-11). If they skipped the AFC East and played all those games against the rest of the NFL, they would have lost about one more game in nine seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AFC East looks a lot like the other divisions, except the Patriots are always good.

 

In the past nine seasons, the AFC East is the only division without a 10-win division winner. The NFC East has had 6! Every division except the AFC East and AFC North has also had a division winner in that time with 9 or fewer wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

For the record I like the NFL's overtime rules as is. However if they had to change it, adopting the (now defunct) UFL's OT rules would be the option that would likely please most people.

  • It's an extra (timed) period where a coin toss to determines the first possession, followed up by a kickoff.
  • Both teams get a possession. If the score is still tied after each team had a possession, THEN it becomes sudden death. 
  • A defensive score in the first possession of OT by fumble recovery, interception return or safety ends the game.
  • In regular season, if the score is still tied after the OT period expires the game ends in a tie.
  • In the playoffs (assuming now because this scenario never happened in the UFL) if the score is still tied after the OT period expires, the game then goes on to 2OT. No additional coin toss, the game continues where previous possession which ended the first OT period left off. 2OT (and beyond) is sudden death.

Disclaimer: This is my first time visiting this season's playoff thread, so forgive me if someone else suggested a similar overtime system.

 

 

If I'm reading this right, it sounds pretty much just like the NFL's current overtime, except a touchdown on the opening drive can't end it. Which is what I think they should do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now