Lions uniform changes

Proc

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Unis = Playoff success

It's for that very reason why I would not complain all year if the team does take a different uni-wize direction. A retro look can look really good in their colors but I would not limit myself to just that.

From what I heard on the radio, this is what the fans want.

1. They want the throwbacks with some tweaks. Add a few stripes here and there.

2. Darken the blue! Nobody wants the Honolulu blue, it makes the Lions look wimpy.

3. A fiercer looking lion, get rid of bubbles.

a. Take the 50's logo and modernize him.

b. Whole new logo.

4. Helmet could be plain, like the throwback and Browns. Add the logo on the sleeves if need be.

5. Bring back the blue pants!

6. Old English D, Tigers have one, Red Wings have one, Lions need one.

7. USFL colors (really, this is a given)

8. Loose the black, but if you need it, use it sparingly.

That's what the people in detroit want, or at least the majority of the people who called in want. Basically, turn the throwbacks into their primary uniforms, a la New York Jets and Giants.

They fear the Lions will turn into the Cardinals, Falcons, or Bengals.

You forgot former radio host Art Regner and his man-love for the circus letters...

But I'll settle for no black, silver numbers, and a blue endzone...

fingers crossed.

This was in today's Detroit News...for you design types...have at it...

Design a new Lions logo

From The Detroit News...

"Design a new Lions logo

The Lions are talking about changing their logo, so we ask: What should the new logo look like? Send us your best design and we'll pick a winner, who will receive two tickets to a Lions home game in 2009. We'll also show the best entries online. Entries will be judged by the vast collection of design experts in The Detroit News sports department. Your entry must include your name, city of residence, e-mail and/or phone number. Entries must be received by Feb. 27.

Send your design to:

Lions Logo Contest

c/o The Detroit News sports department

615 W. Lafayette Blvd.

Detroit, Michigan 48226

Designs also can be e-mailed to: sports@detnews.com. Art should not be larger than 500 pixels wide and 96 dpi."

2. Darken the blue! Nobody wants the Honolulu blue, it makes the Lions look wimpy.

2. Hell, no. Do we really need another navy team?

3. I used to think that way, but changed my mind earlier in the thread. All they need to do is fix the placement of the raised paw. Bubbles is apparently more popular outside of Detroit than it is here, so the CCSLC's show of support for it forced me to take a second look. It's really a pretty good logo, besides that raised paw. It's 50-odd years old, and apparently more iconic than some of us thought. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

6. Yes, I've long been a supporter of an Old English D secondary for all our Detroit teams. I thought I remembered the Pistons briefly using one, but couldn't find an example in a few minutes of research. I just think done subtly, it could be a nice unifying mark for our city's teams, along the lines of Pittsburgh's shared colors.

8. Losing the black is a no-brainer.

They fear the Lions will turn into the Cardinals, Falcons, or Bengals.

Not the Bengals, but more in the direction of the Cardinals, Falcons and Vikings. New modernized uniforms have brought success to these teams. I may be in minority when it comes to the uniforms, but lets leave the past in the past and go forward with a new future. I do agree with keeping Bubbles, keeping the honolulu blue and silver. But leave retro where it may lay and that is in the past.

I just stared playing around with the Lions uniform in Photoshop. I used the Michigan Panthers colors on the uniform. I kept the current Honolulu blue as the main color, replaced the silver with the Champagne and colored the numbers the same, and finally used the Plum as a more dominate trim color. The results so far look pretty nice, but I can't help but think this has more than a passing resemblance now to ESPN's "Playmakers" Cougars uniforms now- not that I think that's a bad thing.

Cougars uniforms in action

Cougar Uniform closeup

I'll post the end results shortly.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

My buddy went to the second Lions "Town Hall" meeting last night. The uniform topic was brought back up. The Lions brass said the changes will be "..evolutionary not revolutionary."

That's the exact phrase used by Eagles owner Jeff Lurie when the team unveiled their new uniforms in 1996.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My buddy went to the second Lions "Town Hall" meeting last night. The uniform topic was brought back up. The Lions brass said the changes will be "..evolutionary not revolutionary."

That's the exact phrase used by Eagles owner Jeff Lurie when the team unveiled their new uniforms in 1996.

Uh-oh.

Guess that means we should be on the lookout for a Midnight Honolulu blue now...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3. I used to think that way, but changed my mind earlier in the thread. All they need to do is fix the placement of the raised paw. Bubbles is apparently more popular outside of Detroit than it is here, so the CCSLC's show of support for it forced me to take a second look. It's really a pretty good logo, besides that raised paw. It's 50-odd years old, and apparently more iconic than some of us thought. No need to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

6. Yes, I've long been a supporter of an Old English D secondary for all our Detroit teams. I thought I remembered the Pistons briefly using one, but couldn't find an example in a few minutes of research. I just think done subtly, it could be a nice unifying mark for our city's teams, along the lines of Pittsburgh's shared colors.

I think what he was saying is that Lions fans don't want to go navy, they just want to return the "honolulu blue" back to its orginal shade...

Notice the difference:

79712230.jpg

80370652.jpg

77669352.jpg

p1_williams.jpg

071006_kitna_throw_profile.jpg

My two cents:

#1 - I always wanted Navy instead of Black anyway.

#2 - Yeah, they've had four different shades of Honolulu Blue that I've found so far in my research.

#3 - I agree.

#4 - They did that once - in 1952:

DetroitLions_FRC_1952_SOL_SRGB.jpg

Those colors look great together. The only thing that would be better would be champagne and plum.

Everyone loves a roundel.

I think what he was saying is that Lions fans don't want to go navy, they just want to return the "honolulu blue" back to its orginal shade...

Notice the difference:

79712230.jpg

80370652.jpg

77669352.jpg

p1_williams.jpg

071006_kitna_throw_profile.jpg

Evolutionary- past ,present, and future

this what I'm thinking

past the original shade of honolulu blue and the older uniform style with the modern modifications

present the stripes on the jerseys and pants (minus the black accents)

future- a more meaner Bubbles the leaping lion, like when philly tweaked the eagles wing on the helmet, and atlanta made the bird more fierce.

but my feeling is that they will go to a older uniform style because of Mr.Ford's input.

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

My two cents:

#1 - I always wanted Navy instead of Black anyway.

#2 - Yeah, they've had four different shades of Honolulu Blue that I've found so far in my research.

#3 - I agree.

#4 - They did that once - in 1952:

DetroitLions_FRC_1952_SOL_SRGB.jpg

Those colors look great together. The only thing that would be better would be champagne and plum.

Pretty close to what Pitt's colors should be...

33.tony.dorsett.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I think they need to complete the redeseign they started a couple years. Either you tastefully update a classic, you totally overhaul or you just leave it alone. The Lions just screwed up a decent, but tired, look (like the Bills did). We need a new logo, and the black needs to be used more effectively.

Archived