Unpopular Opinions

1. I like Pinstripes on road uniforms and wish the Twins and Rockies would bring them back. - I agree. Not a Twins or Rockies fan by any means, but I liked their road stripes much better than what they have now.

2. I loved the Rays original uniforms and devil ray cap - I think it makes an excellent alt look, but for a primary, I didn't like it. The Rays (Devil Rays) needed something that the Tampa Bay area could embrace, and the "TB" caps accomplished that. I really liked the green TB caps with the Ray on them, but IMHO they needed the "TB" on there somehow. The gradient ray itself just wasn't strong enough to stand on it's own and represent the TB area.

3. I loved the Reds in this set - Sorry, you're on your own on this one...I love the Reds new look, especially the fonts. Agree to disagree, which is what makes this fun.

4. Not uni related but I think all those retro parks are unaesthetic (The only one I like is PNC) and actually like cookie cutters

In my opinion this (Olympic Stadium), is better than this (Nationals Park).- This is the main reason why I replied to your post. I'm glad that somebody else feels this way. There is nothing I love more than old time ballparks and their quirks. If people don't "get" the green monster in Boston, a moment spent on google earth will make them quickly realize why it's there. The Polo Grounds with its >280 foul poles and 483 center field fence was as unique as you can get. Now it seems like every new stadium built has some sort of manufactured Disney-esque "quirks" to try to make it look/feel like some sort of old ballpark. It was fun when the Orioles and a couple other teams started doing it, but now that every team has a "retro ballpark," the luster is gone. I'm definitely a KC Royals homer, but I've been to 25 of the 30 MLB parks, and I still rate Kauffman in my top five. Built in 1973, It has stood the test of time and continues to be one of the best venues in MLB. It's currently the 6th oldest stadium in baseball, and completely symmetrical due to being built in the 70's, but I'd put it up against any "retro" ballpark built since.

4. Not uni related but I think all those retro parks are unaesthetic (The only one I like is PNC) and actually like cookie cutters

In my opinion this (Olympic Stadium), is better than this (Nationals Park).- This is the main reason why I replied to your post. I'm glad that somebody else feels this way. There is nothing I love more than old time ballparks and their quirks. If people don't "get" the green monster in Boston, a moment spent on google earth will make them quickly realize why it's there. The Polo Grounds with its >280 foul poles and 483 center field fence was as unique as you can get. Now it seems like every new stadium built has some sort of manufactured Disney-esque "quirks" to try to make it look/feel like some sort of old ballpark. It was fun when the Orioles and a couple other teams started doing it, but now that every team has a "retro ballpark," the luster is gone. I'm definitely a KC Royals homer, but I've been to 25 of the 30 MLB parks, and I still rate Kauffman in my top five. Built in 1973, It has stood the test of time and continues to be one of the best venues in MLB. It's currently the 6th oldest stadium in baseball, and completely symmetrical due to being built in the 70's, but I'd put it up against any "retro" ballpark built since.

Finally someone else who is tired of the retro look!!

In my honest opinon, If the roof at Stade Olympique would have worked I think it would have been in the top 5. Within a span of 5-7 years a team goes from playing a futuristic stadium to a retro copycat that is really not that aesthetically pleasing...

At least we still have Kauffman, Dodger Stadium, The Coliseum, Tropicana and Rogers Centre

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

Tropicana? Seriously? I'll take the most generic cookie-cutter faux retro park any day over that dump. It's a glorified warehouse. It is, quite literally, a depressing place to watch a baseball game.

I get the appeal of the "modern" parks, but Tropicana? The place is a dive that should have been torn down ten years ago.

Tropicana? Seriously? I'll take the most generic cookie-cutter faux retro park any day over that dump. It's a glorified warehouse. It is, quite literally, a depressing place to watch a baseball game.

I get the appeal of the "modern" parks, but Tropicana? The place is a dive that should have been torn down ten years ago.

The Trop is a much better place for a game than the horrid Georgia Dome or Oakland Coliseum. Tropicana Field's quirks make it bearable. The Trop is like an ugly dog, it's so ugly that it's cute. Having been there multiple times for Rays games, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

The Trop is a much better place for a game than the horrid Georgia Dome or Oakland Coliseum. Tropicana Field's quirks make it bearable. The Trop is like an ugly dog, it's so ugly that it's cute. Having been there multiple times for Rays games, it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
It is a good atmosphere, i went to a red sox game there last month in the 17$ "party deck" seats and had a ball, but the stadium was bad since its creation, they need a new stadium, that would have a retractible roof, the trop is fun, but they can have the same fun at another stadium too

While I don't agree in general with the sentiment on preferring Stade Olympique, the Trop, etc. to some of the "retro", I see where you are coming from. I love the new amenities: the open concourses, more bathrooms etc. and I tend to like the "retro" looks such as green seats. For example, there is no Question in my mind that "new Comiskey" (US Cellular?) is much nicer now than it was pre-update. The giant upper level with sterile blue seats made it look like the Metrodome with the roof cut off...it's a much nicer atmosphere now.

And there is no question that going to 5-10 games a year at Target Field is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than at the Metrodome. It's just more comfortable. And the seats down the third baseline are not pointed to the 50-yard line. And it's not so sterile.

On the other hand, I like getting to go to a concrete place from time to time. I really enjoyed my 2007 trip to an A's game. Yeah, I think it would be a pain to hold season tickets there, but it was fun...the 1960s are also a part of baseball history. And when I look at the ballparks I wish I'd have been able to go to (Tiger Stadium is #1, Old Comiskey is #2), Arlington Stadium is high on my list...I don't know why, but it just looks like the quintessential place to go back in time to before luxury boxes and non-baseball related sideshows. I miss County Stadium (where I went a bunch) as well.

So in short, while I do like these "retro ballparks", there is a homogeneity going on and it would be nice if there was still a County Stadium and a few more of those.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3. I loved the Reds in this set

010399uniformsall_511x500.jpg

I liked that set as well when worn as shown. The problem with that set was that they had a winning streak while wearing the black underneath the home set and started wearing it all the time. The black under the home was a bad look. Actually that set was best with the red sleeves under both.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

I really wish the Cardnals would renovated Busch II, Lambeau-style rather than ditching it for another "unique" retro park. The fact that it was the last of the cookie-cutter parks in the NL AND had the history to justify keeping it made it a lot more notable than that plastic venue they play in now.

So in short, while I do like these "retro ballparks", there is a homogeneity going on and it would be nice if there was still a County Stadium and a few more of those.

As much as I love Miller Park, I still miss County Stadium.

1. I like Pinstripes on road uniforms and wish the Twins and Rockies would bring them back

minnesota-twins-road-grey-mlb-replica-je

I like the Twins' current road uni better because I was never really a fan of that script, but I really liked road pinstripes. However, I just don't see them making a comeback anytime soon.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I would love Miller Park much more if it were downtown where it belongs instead of the Valley, away from the rest of Milwaukee because outstate fans are scurred of the big scurry city.

1. I like Pinstripes on road uniforms and wish the Twins and Rockies would bring them back

I like the Twins' current road uni better because I was never really a fan if that script, but I really liked road pinstripes. However, I just don't see them making a comeback anytime soon.
Put the current road script on that jersey and you've got a winner.
  • Like 1

I would love Miller Park much more if it were downtown where it belongs instead of the Valley, away from the rest of Milwaukee because outstate fans are scurred of the big scurry city.

Because it's so very, very far from the city... oh, wait, no, it's in the city, isn't it?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I agree, but I am a fan of pinstripes in general. I wish my favorite team, The Mets, would wear nothing but pinstripes.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Because it's so very, very far from the city... oh, wait, no, it's in the city, isn't it?

There wasn't anywhere really feasible to put it downtown that would allow room for parking and tailgating so there was no way that was ever happening.