MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

Seems like the Jays' white-paneled caps have sparked a debate here, so I'd like to respectfully continue that.

What do you think of these type of caps?

For me, I think they're okay, but the fad needs to die out already IMO. They COULD work with a team or two, but not every team needs one. I talk uniforms/caps a lot with one of my best friends and he's in love with these type of caps that he's starting to make me lose interest in them, heh.

How about you guys? Why do you like it? Why don't you like it? How could you improve these? etc...

By "these type of caps" are you referring to white front/off color front panel caps?

And if so, I've never liked them. They're definitely over done today, but I've always felt they just don't aesthetically work and look far too much like 80's trucker caps. Just not an attractive look.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to LOVE white front-panel caps, and I would have jumped on this cap in a heartbeat if it were to have come out a few years ago. But nowadays, I've done a complete 180 on them, to the point where I would be thrilled if Baltimore got rid of theirs. The only white front cap that I still tolerate is the Expos, and even then, I'm starting to prefer the solid blue version.

I love the white paneled Orioles cap, but HATE the trend it started.

Also, one of my favourite looks in the Orioles rotation is seeing the home batting helmets with the Friday black jerseys.

All I want from the Orioles is something like this but made by New Era:

41N2KQusrIL._SX355_.jpg

I love the white paneled Orioles cap, but HATE the trend it started.

Also, one of my favourite looks in the Orioles rotation is seeing the home batting helmets with the Friday black jerseys.

All I want from the Orioles is something like this but made by New Era:

41N2KQusrIL._SX355_.jpg

see, im starting to dislike single colour caps. Especially for the Orioles.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I loved caps with different color panels as a kid in the 80s. I very much dislike them today. There is still one that I have a soft spot for though, and I wish I could find a correct authentic version of it. One of my all-time favorites:

padres1c.jpg

I can tolerate the triangle versions (or "bell" version, in this case) much more than the ones that use the entire two front panels for the alternate color. I'm referring to the ones used in the All Star Game last year, but only for teams that already have a history of using them:

350x700px-LL-7b3d66da_hwl.jpeg

Likewise with helmets. This...

1graham.jpg

...looks better than this...

$_57.JPG

Seems like the Jays' white-paneled caps have sparked a debate here, so I'd like to respectfully continue that.

What do you think of these type of caps?

For me, I think they're okay, but the fad needs to die out already IMO. They COULD work with a team or two, but not every team needs one. I talk uniforms/caps a lot with one of my best friends and he's in love with these type of caps that he's starting to make me lose interest in them, heh.

How about you guys? Why do you like it? Why don't you like it? How could you improve these? etc...

I don't love them. Keep in mind, as I grew up with them, they have a peewee vibe to them. Like what a nerf baseball cap might look like, or your first t-ball uni cap.

So yeah, there it is. White panel Jays caps belong in my 5yr old self memory bank.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I understand the dislike for differently colored front panel caps, but the extra touch of "customization" always looked more official to me.. Perhaps they're not the best option as a fashion cap, but as a uniform element, I always thought it added to the "professional" look.. Like, any youth team can go get solid one-color caps and slap a logo on it, but having 2-3+ colors on the cap itself always felt like an extra level of separation for pro teams that helped establish themselves from lower levels.. At least IMO

I love the Orioles home hat and wanted to buy one but the contrasting stitching on the front panel turned me off. Then I saw the 39THIRTY (which fits me better) doesn't have the contrasting stitches and I made the purchase. It's my favorite hat.

Hopefully NE releases a 39THIRTY version of this Jays hat, because I will buy it.

(Why they get the stitching right on some hats and wrong on others is beyond me.)

I love the Orioles home hat and wanted to buy one but the contrasting stitching on the front panel turned me off. Then I saw the 39THIRTY (which fits me better) doesn't have the contrasting stitches and I made the purchase. It's my favorite hat.

Hopefully NE releases a 39THIRTY version of this Jays hat, because I will buy it.

(Why they get the stitching right on some hats and wrong on others is beyond me.)

Are the 39thirty "team classic" hats good alternatives? I've given up on the fit of a 59fifty...for me, the brims are too big or off-center, the fits are a crap shoot (I have about a dozen 7 3/8 59fifties, and none of them have the same circumference), and even on the low crowns, the crowns can look ridiculous.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I loved caps with different color panels as a kid in the 80s. I very much dislike them today. There is still one that I have a soft spot for though, and I wish I could find a correct authentic version of it. One of my all-time favorites:

padres1c.jpg

I can tolerate the triangle versions (or "bell" version, in this case) much more than the ones that use the entire two front panels for the alternate color. I'm referring to the ones used in the All Star Game last year, but only for teams that already have a history of using them:

350x700px-LL-7b3d66da_hwl.jpeg

Likewise with helmets. This...

1graham.jpg

...looks better than this...

$_57.JPG

To me, those bell designs make no sense on a cap. At least with the full panel there's a point to it. They did it for the ASG caps just as a nod to the old Twins helmet, but I don't see it as a good design for an official cap.

The Padres wore late 80's throwbacks yesterday against the Reds which means this is the second time on this roadtrip that the Reds have played against a throwback uniform while wearing their current road uniforms. I prefer both looks for the Padres and Diamondbacks to what they're currently wearing.

i_zpsbyujm1w7.jpgi-2_zpsubozin5w.jpgi-3_zpszlz19on2.jpgi-4_zpsme4ewjva.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Padres wore late 80's throwbacks yesterday against the Reds which means this is the second time on this roadtrip that the Reds have played against a throwback uniform while wearing their current road uniforms. I prefer both looks for the Padres and Diamondbacks to what they're currently wearing.

Right on :) .

Both are tremendous, traditional, yet outside the box looks. Instantly recognizable brands.

San Diego won't ever return to brown full time, but I have a gut feeling that the purple/turquoise/copper look is gaining steam again, and getting some traction in Arizona. We will see :)

Both are tremendous, traditional, yet outside the box looks. Instantly recognizable brands.

San Diego won't ever return to brown full time, but I have a gut feeling that the purple/turquoise/copper look is gaining steam again, and getting some traction in Arizona. We will see :)

Even if Arizona doesn't want to go back to purple, I'd love to see a teal/copper/black color scheme, much like the Rattlers used to use.

Even if Arizona doesn't want to go back to purple, I'd love to see a teal/copper/black color scheme, much like the Rattlers used to use.

That would be nice. And bring back the unique snaky sleeve-end trim while they are at it. Shame all of that was lost when they became the "D-Backs" and got rid of all things from the Colangelo regime.

rattlers.jpg

That would be interesting. Then the Rockies should fully embrace purple as their main color.

Man those Padres uniforms look good. Last time I was in San Diego I bought that hat. I love it.

Regarding the front panel discussion; I hate 'em all. But if it's going to be done, I think on a hat, the "bell" design is kinda arbitrary. Covering those two front sections makes more sense. Ironically I definitely prefer the bell on a helmet.

One thing I never realized as a kid (don't know why this did not occur to me) is the stupidity of what the Brewers did. All-blue home hat. Yellow-panel road hat. White panel helmet at home and on road. Why? Why not just a blue helmet (which they did eventually switch to)?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived