MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

I actually like the extra outline on the wordmarks for the reason someone mentioned before that now the teal is more noticeable.

I HATE the NOB. It should really just be a single solid color.

I really dislike the new alt. I think it's silly to recolor your primary marks. It dilutes the brand. You can go full throwback or faux back in different colors and that's fine. You can even recolor a throwback to current colors. That's fine too. But this is dumb.

Also the S logo wasn't designed to be a single color, so it looks silly in just yellow on blue.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not much of a baseball fan to begin with, so you all can probably understand when I say that I don't get the love for stirrups. They just look... weird, I guess.

However, I love the yellow and blue look. I'm starting to wish they move to that look full-time.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

NOB on the home whites feels cluttered to me even though there is great cohesion with the entire look.

Right, the player name should be in one colour, as on the Braves' uniforms and as formerly was on the A's uniforms. This would make a good contrast with the very intricate number.

Single-colored names look fine when they're in the color of the number outline. The Braves jerseys look great because the names are navy, along with the navy outline on the red numbers. It looks like incomplete crap when single-color names are the main color of the numbers. For instance, the Twins' last road set looked like crap. Don't put navy names above navy numbers with a red outline. It looks like you were supposed to match the numbers, but instead cheap-out and just had the names heat-pressed on. Single-colored names on this set would look just as cheap and half-assed. The problem is, double-outline names look bad on pretty much all baseball uniforms. Wait until you see the "H". Woof.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

That looks horrible. Much, much worse than the previous set. It doesn't make the teal pop, it makes it look darker. And worst of all, just as with that Indians set I mentioned, silver looks like absolute crap when paired with the gray uniforms. It'll either look like mismatched gray or appear to be white. They cluttered the set for no reason.

The Indians pointlessly added silver, the Mariners already had it. The only thing they did was change it's position. It absolutely makes the teal pop, before it bled into the navy since the two colors were too dark to be touching each other and the silver just made if get lost. It looks absolutely beautiful and incredibly sharp to me. Besides the Jays and Mets in 2012 I can't think of a better change to a primary set in baseball in a long time. Also any history they had with the previous set was irrelevant, the team never made a World Series and had a 13 year playoff drought going with them.

The Mariners had silver in their set, but it was a small accent color, used only on the cap logo, sleeve patch and alt jerseys. The silver outline on the home wordmark was superfluous, and the white outline on the road wordmark acted the same way. So yes, even though there was silver before, it wasn't like this. This looks like crap. The teal popped plenty before, and if they wanted to make it pop more, they should have made the teal outlines slightly bolder, as they were in the '90s. These silver outlines are every bit as forced as the Indians' outlines were.

And no, the history in royal blue and yellow is irrelevant, as those teams were. The history in the previous navy and teal sets are extremely relevant. They featured one of the best pitchers ever, a top-five all-time player in Griffey, and a team which captured the city's hearts and saved Seattle baseball. And it was a great look on top of that! So yes, it was plenty worth saving. But like I said, this wreaks of "we can't make the team better, but at least we can tweak the jerseys so everybody has to buy new ones." If a 13-year playoff drought is such a big deal that they should just :censored: everything up, and time spent in a look is meaningless, then the Cubs should have changed their home set long ago. Fortunately, they didn't do like the Browns and say "Meh, it's not like we won anything recently in this set, anyway."

OldRomanSig2.jpg

NOB on the home whites feels cluttered to me even though there is great cohesion with the entire look.

Right, the player name should be in one colour, as on the Braves' uniforms and as formerly was on the A's uniforms. This would make a good contrast with the very intricate number.

Single-colored names look fine when they're in the color of the number outline. The Braves jerseys look great because the names are navy, along with the navy outline on the red numbers. It looks like incomplete crap when single-color names are the main color of the numbers. For instance, the Twins' last road set looked like crap. Don't put navy names above navy numbers with a red outline. It looks like you were supposed to match the numbers, but instead cheap-out and just had the names heat-pressed on. Single-colored names on this set would look just as cheap and half-assed. The problem is, double-outline names look bad on pretty much all baseball uniforms. Wait until you see the "H". Woof.

I think the reason why the A's current NOB works is because the number only has the gold trim. It's not as bulky like the Mariners now with a number and a silver and teal trim. That's where I think the problem lies. It was great before the change because it was navy and teal and the NOB matched that. Adding that extra trim makes a huge difference. In this case, it might pop more on the front wordmark and the number, but the NOB suffers from it. It makes sense as a design perspective but I think in this case, it might have worked better to not have touched the NOB or even just reduce it to a solid navy lettering.

Go A's!

Save the cream alternate in Pilots' colors I love what the Mariners did here. Emphasizing teal more and adding stripes to their socks are a good move. I love the updates to the home. Teal has always gotten lost on that uniform and separating it from the navy will let it breathe more. It'll be more visible. Not to toot my own horn, but I made a concept that was exactly that about a year ago. The road, though, I would've gone with white separating the navy and teal. There's no reason to use silver on a gray uniform. White would've presented their color scheme better in that space.

As for the cream alternate - I don't get the love for the blue and yellow. Sorry. Also, the trident logo is garbage. It's a downward facing trident, which was considered bad luck for actual mariners, second it's a monogram of their nickname which I think teams should avoid at all costs. Third, I don't like cream baseball uniforms when bright white looks so much better. They always look dirty.

PvO6ZWJ.png

That looks horrible. Much, much worse than the previous set. It doesn't make the teal pop, it makes it look darker. And worst of all, just as with that Indians set I mentioned, silver looks like absolute crap when paired with the gray uniforms. It'll either look like mismatched gray or appear to be white. They cluttered the set for no reason.

The Indians pointlessly added silver, the Mariners already had it. The only thing they did was change it's position. It absolutely makes the teal pop, before it bled into the navy since the two colors were too dark to be touching each other and the silver just made if get lost. It looks absolutely beautiful and incredibly sharp to me. Besides the Jays and Mets in 2012 I can't think of a better change to a primary set in baseball in a long time. Also any history they had with the previous set was irrelevant, the team never made a World Series and had a 13 year playoff drought going with them.

The Mariners had silver in their set, but it was a small accent color, used only on the cap logo, sleeve patch and alt jerseys. The silver outline on the home wordmark was superfluous, and the white outline on the road wordmark acted the same way. So yes, even though there was silver before, it wasn't like this. This looks like crap. The teal popped plenty before, and if they wanted to make it pop more, they should have made the teal outlines slightly bolder, as they were in the '90s. These silver outlines are every bit as forced as the Indians' outlines were.

And no, the history in royal blue and yellow is irrelevant, as those teams were. The history in the previous navy and teal sets are extremely relevant. They featured one of the best pitchers ever, a top-five all-time player in Griffey, and a team which captured the city's hearts and saved Seattle baseball. And it was a great look on top of that! So yes, it was plenty worth saving. But like I said, this wreaks of "we can't make the team better, but at least we can tweak the jerseys so everybody has to buy new ones." If a 13-year playoff drought is such a big deal that they should just :censored: everything up, and time spent in a look is meaningless, then the Cubs should have changed their home set long ago. Fortunately, they didn't do like the Browns and say "Meh, it's not like we won anything recently in this set, anyway."

First off I'm not defending the cream alternate, it's better than a thought it would be but still pointless.

But first of no it's not as pointless as the Indians silver. Silver was ALWAYS a part of the outline. At most there's a tiny bit more. And I completely disagree with it being fine before. When the teal was wedged between the only slightly darker navy and an almost equally thick silver outline it had absolutely pop. Now it gets to contrast with the white on the home, and even on the roads it's less surrounded and doesn't have to blend with the navy.

I don't think they should have changed because of the playoff drought, but saying they wore it for over 20 years when they did so little in them doesn't make the change worse either. They had a couple decent moments in the 1993-2014 look, but it will be most remembered for a team that choked and underperformed. Not even Griffey can save that.

Quick "less is more" mock up for the cap...

SBlue.jpg

Looks like a hat from Eastbound & Down.

In fact, here is Kenny Powers wearing a Seattle hat that tries to prove "Less is more."

ed-pilot1.png

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Unpopular (I assume) opinion...

I LOVE the number on the back of the cream alt. The block shape (fairly unpopular) and the superfluous double-outline (extremely unpopular) create a beautiful number.

But the hat / logo just did not come through well in royal and yellow

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Those would be a

Quick "less is more" mock up for the cap...

SBlue.jpg

Looks like a hat from Eastbound & Down.

In fact, here is Kenny Powers wearing a Seattle hat that tries to prove "Less is more."

ed-pilot1.png

Right there is so much better than what they did. I'd take that look in a heartbeat.

The whole minimalist movement is crazy to me.

If I could, while I do love the blue/yellow alternates, I would make two small changes: 1) Add the name on back (which will be one color, blue, because that's how they did it for the first 15 years) and 2) make the numbers on the back regular-sized. Then you have perfection.

UBwef0L.png

I agree with everything you said, but I think in this case it's the lesser of two evils. Since there's a double outline on the numbers (3 layers), it would look more obvious single layer NOB was intentionally different and not being cheap.

With a single outline, I totally agree. With a double, I mostly agree.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived