Uniform numbers that look bad

JasonFromMiami

In regards to defenders wearing low numbers like a QB or RB, Nebraska's had several of our top defenders in recent years sporting #4 - Lavonte David, Randy Gregory, Mohammed Seisay, and Larry Asante to name a few.

I'm kind of hoping it becomes sort of a defacto honor that the defense's alpha dog gets to wear #4.

So does your QB right now.

That's another one that kinda "looks bad". Am I wrong or is it more common for a star player (or at least starter) on each side of the ball to wear the same number? I know that college football rosters have had duplicate numbers for as long as I remember but it seems like the QB's number is more frequently worn by a defensive starter. I am pretty sure FSU has a defensive starter wearing #5 (Winston's number). I recall Mantei Te'o wearing #5 and I think the starting QB did too. When Tanner McEvoy switched to QB at Wisconsin, he took #5, worn by defensive starter Darius Hillary. There are other QB numbers I know he could have taken.

It's not a big deal but I'd rather see duplicate numbers be worn by bench warmers.

I think most teams try to stagger the duplicate numbers so that two guys in the same class aren't wearing the same number. And I think it's common with QBs just because they usually wear single digit numbers and when defensive players wear "wrong" numbers it's usually in the single digits too. I think USC had two captains wearing 7 when Matt Barkley was there. Martez Wilson wore 2 at Illinois and shared it with the starting QB.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most numbers that end in 7 are not atractive.

Maybe 97 is the least bad of the X7s.

17 for a Qb reminds me of David Krieg or Steve Deberg. I don't think you'll ever see a dynamic athletic Qb wearing it. It surprises me that WRs wear it, though maybe due to Harold Charmichael.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 for a Qb reminds me of David Krieg or Steve Deberg. I don't think you'll ever see a dynamic athletic Qb wearing it. It surprises me that WRs wear it, though maybe due to Harold Charmichael.

I don't know, 17 & 77 work for hockey

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

yuck, Bruins with 46, 47, 63

-

17 and 27 are cool for baseball and hockey imo

See I think 46 looks fine, because I think of Craig Kimbrel. He's made that number acceptable for me because of how bad ass he is.

I agree with you on the other numbers though.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

47 really does look :censored:ty

Hmm...

http://ecx.mWkL._SL1500_.jpg

But since there are so many players on a football team, i don´t think any number looks bad on a football jersey, i mean, someones gotta have it right ? It´s more in MLB and NHL i think you notice non aesthetically pleasing numbers.....i am thinking: "couldn't he have picked a nicer number ? "

I'm going to help derail the thread even more. I loved those Capitals uniforms. I even feel that they could hold up pretty well today. They don't look dated to me at all.

Exactly, if you didn´t know any better that swooping eagle could be as old as the Hawks logo, it looks just as good as any original 6 logo

I really liked that Caps set as well, but even if it stuck around, it would have to have been updated at some point. There plethora of thin strokes on the logo and the really big serifs on the font were both characteristic of '90s designs and could be cleaned up. The shade of blue could be lightened maybe a tad, and I'd remove "Capitals" from the hem. Put it all together and you have one of the best contemporary looks in the league.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I'm going to help derail the thread even more. I loved those Capitals uniforms. I even feel that they could hold up pretty well today. They don't look dated to me at all.

Exactly, if you didn´t know any better that swooping eagle could be as old as the Hawks logo, it looks just as good as any original 6 logo

I really liked that Caps set as well, but even if it stuck around, it would have to have been updated at some point. There plethora of thin strokes on the logo and the really big serifs on the font were both characteristic of '90s designs and could be cleaned up. The shade of blue could be lightened maybe a tad, and I'd remove "Capitals" from the hem. Put it all together and you have one of the best contemporary looks in the league.

For some reason they took the wordmark off the stripe on the white jerseys, but left it on the blue jerseys. I guess they thought the road fans needed their name spelled out to know which team they were playing.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I wouldn't go that far.

I don't know, 17 & 77 work for hockey
I'm talking about overall aesthetics, not appropriateness in each sport. I just don't think the X7s* are attractive numbers in any context, be it a sports uniform or on a spreadsheet or even on a street sign.

*I will give you that 77 is an exception, probably because 7 alone is fine (in my world) so 77 is just two of those.

Of all the double numbers, 88 and 11 are the ones j am on the fence with. Depending on the font, it can be too much symmetry. A symmetrical number comprised of two symmetrical numbers. 11 is usually ok though except in cases like the Bears font. It sucks there.

00 sucks in any context, except when it appears numerous times at the end of my paycheck.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived