2014-2015 NHL Jersey/Logo Changes

Chewbacca

If some random schlub was GM of the Lightning, I don't think people would complain about them using the Red Wings' stripes. Since it's Yzerman, though, it definitely creates the appearance that it's not a coincidence.

Their greatest crime by far is that they look so much like another team. Their second is that they watered down a nice identity to do it. Stealing a basic striping pattern is a distant third or fourth.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i expect the stars to be pretty plain-jane on the uniforms and keep them as-is for a while. as far as the lack of gold goes, it's totally fine with me now. the green and black just feels right and normal already. gold isn't needed. i don't dislike the gold, but it isn't missed by the majority of the fanbase. the green/black/silver seems more modern and still traditional to me.

i expect the first throwback we get will be in 2017 for the 50th anniversary of the second-six. i'm hoping that dallas, pittsburgh, philly, st. louis, and los angeles all bust out some throwbacks that year, just like the original 6 teams did in 1991/1992.

With the Minnesota Wild in the NHL, it would be really strange to see the Stars wearing a North Stars Throwback jersey. I wonder what the Stars will do. A Stars throwback from the Mid-90's when they relocated from Minnesota would be nice to see and, it wouldn't be a bad third jersey either. Speaking of the Stars, their road jersey is awesome. I don't like the new logo but how can you not like their new road jersey. That jersey is a beaut.

Why would it be strange? They used to be the Minnesota North Stars, it's a part of their history. I don't see how the existence of a new team in Minnesota has any effect on that. Is it weird when the Dodgers wear Brooklyn throwbacks because the Mets exist? Or when the Titans wear Houston Oilers throwbacks because the Texans exist?

A little AHL uni news, haven't seen it confirmed, but they wore their Frozen Frontier CLEVELAND fauxbacks for the opener. The usual burgundy away jerseys were on sale in the team store...so some are thinking that the black alt is going to become the road jersey and the CLEVELAND throwback the new alt.

Even the name is terrible, not plural names suck, what do you call a player on Tampa Bay? A Lightning?

Even though it doesn't end in "s", it is still a plural name. No one says "lightnings". For example, "Did you see that storm last night? There was so much lightning." The team is obviously pushing the Bolts nickname so you can call a Tampa Bay player a Bolt. Calling the team the Tampa Bay Lightning Bolts would've been worse.
I'm not saying Lightnings would be a good name, it's just that a play can't be a "Lightning", it's awkward and causes some troublesome situations when it comes to pluralize the name.

Btw I'm wondering, is there ANY difference in the shade of blue Tampa Bay uses from the Leafs' or is it the same color exactly?

Phillies, Bears, and new NYFC fan.

It is the exact shade of blue... though the inaugural set used a lighter variety named "Hawaiian Blue" until the 1999/00 season. Why they changed it is perplexing since it never bled into the black like the royal shade. Poor decision.

i expect the stars to be pretty plain-jane on the uniforms and keep them as-is for a while. as far as the lack of gold goes, it's totally fine with me now. the green and black just feels right and normal already. gold isn't needed. i don't dislike the gold, but it isn't missed by the majority of the fanbase. the green/black/silver seems more modern and still traditional to me.

i expect the first throwback we get will be in 2017 for the 50th anniversary of the second-six. i'm hoping that dallas, pittsburgh, philly, st. louis, and los angeles all bust out some throwbacks that year, just like the original 6 teams did in 1991/1992.

It helps that for multiple years of their franchise history, they wore uniforms with little to no gold (93-98), and hell even little to no green. For most of the time, gold was either a secondary tertiary color or a color exclusive only to the logos. Black or green was always the official secondary color. Not gold. This is completely unlike the North Stars, who wore kelly green and bright yellow for most of their existence.

So in a way, it helps make the loss of gold somewhat less painful. And as you pointed out, the current colors feel fresh, modern, and above all, it feels right to most of the fanbase. Gold looks brown against green and black anyhow. And banana yellow belongs to the North Stars years. I understand that some people miss having a franchise represented with a green star bordered in a yellow trim. But because of all the good, justified

reasons behind creating the new identity, the loss of gold is not the biggest downgrade in current NHL history.

With the Minnesota Wild in the NHL, it would be really strange to see the Stars wearing a North Stars Throwback jersey. I wonder what the Stars will do. A Stars throwback from the Mid-90's when they relocated from Minnesota would be nice to see and, it wouldn't be a bad third jersey either.

While some things have no certainty, one thing is definitely FOR SURE: One of those 2 teams is allowed to wear North Star throwbacks.

Color schemes don't necessarily need to be the primary part of creating your own brand. You can't own a color scheme, but you can own a branding. The reason I dislike Tampa's unis have nothing to do with the fact that they kinda appear similar to the Leafs with the striping of the Wings. It's the fact that they took a unique identity and they ditched it for something way too simple and lazy for the brand that they had created. Making the blue the primary color, and accenting it with the silver/grey, and black more, even while going with a traditional template, could have been amazing. I'm not very good with concept work, but they are the first team id want to experiment with.

Regarding the Stars. They look fantastic. The fact that no one in the league used kelly green as a primary was a shame. The color is gorgeous, they jerseys look great and honestly the only thing I would change would be outlining the numbers and possibly changing the stripe pattern to green/white/black/white/green or thin black/green/thin black on the white jersey. But as they are now, they are still fantastic. I would in no way call it "original 6 dress up" as they say.

* Tampa definitely needs black in their primary jerseys. Their current identity feels like it's missing something. Their logos and overall look are good, but not quite there yet.

* The Stars numbers should NOT be outlined in black, and here's why. When you look at their whole uniforms, never does the victory green touch black anywhere, besides the logos. Adding that trim of black will look a bit bad on the home, and disastrous on the road. Especially those small sleeve numbers, which will end up extremely muddied.

463127415_slide.jpg

453360973_slide.jpg

Color schemes don't necessarily need to be the primary part of creating your own brand. You can't own a color scheme, but you can own a branding. The reason I dislike Tampa's unis have nothing to do with the fact that they kinda appear similar to the Leafs with the striping of the Wings. It's the fact that they took a unique identity and they ditched it for something way too simple and lazy for the brand that they had created. Making the blue the primary color, and accenting it with the silver/grey, and black more, even while going with a traditional template, could have been amazing. I'm not very good with concept work, but they are the first team id want to experiment with.

Regarding the Stars. They look fantastic. The fact that no one in the league used kelly green as a primary was a shame. The color is gorgeous, they jerseys look great and honestly the only thing I would change would be outlining the numbers and possibly changing the stripe pattern to green/white/black/white/green or thin black/green/thin black on the white jersey. But as they are now, they are still fantastic. I would in no way call it "original 6 dress up" as they say.

* Tampa definitely needs black in their primary jerseys. Their current identity feels like it's missing something. Their logos and overall look are good, but not quite there yet.

* The Stars numbers should NOT be outlined in black, and here's why. When you look at their whole uniforms, never does the victory green touch black anywhere, besides the logos. Adding that trim of black will look a bit bad on the home, and disastrous on the road. Especially those small sleeve numbers, which will end up extremely muddied.

463127415_slide.jpg

453360973_slide.jpg

The University of North Dakota has almost the same hem stripe as Dallas, only difference is it doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the hem. But every jersey since they switched to reebok they've had a white number with a double outline green inside, black on the outside. It really balances it out. The number on Dallas' sweaters are just too plain, and I've tried to like it, but I can't. I don't hate it, but it just doesn't sit right...the numbers that is, of course.

I'm on my phone and messed up the quote thing. I dunno how to fix it

The University of North Dakota has almost the same hem stripe as Dallas, only difference is it doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the hem. But every jersey since they switched to reebok they've had a white number with a double outline green inside, black on the outside. It really balances it out. The number on Dallas' sweaters are just too plain, and I've tried to like it, but I can't. I don't hate it, but it just doesn't sit right...the numbers that is, of course.

These must be the jerseys you're referring to...

MUDJYDEOOMVIZUJ.20130103184138.jpg

LILBIBNJIIAFRKC.20130325182242.jpg

The road jersey numbers are black though, with a double trim. Not green numbers with a single black trim. Don't know if this is something that can be incorporated into Dallas' scheme...

The home jersey has a lot more black on it. That's why I feel it works a bit better for the Minor League team of North Dakota. But it's just me, and I know not everybody sees it the same way. ;)

These must be the jerseys you're referring to...

MUDJYDEOOMVIZUJ.20130103184138.jpg

LILBIBNJIIAFRKC.20130325182242.jpg

The road jersey numbers are black though, with a double trim. Not green numbers with a single black trim. Don't know if this is something that can be made for Dallas...

The home also has a lot more black on the jersey.

The shoulder yolk is the only difference and the bottom hem than Dallas. UND had green numbers the first year or two with reebok on the whites. I'm on my phone and can't get a pic. You also have to show the back number and NOB to give it a little more justice than the front crest of a team with no name...

I have that green jersey with the 17 Panzer with the C as a shout out to my favorite FM Ice Shark and UND player when I was little staring at me right now.

The shoulder yolk is the only difference and the bottom hem than Dallas. UND had green numbers the first year or two with reebok on the whites. I'm on my phone and can't get a pic. You also have to show the back number and NOB to give it a little more justice than the front crest of a team with no name...

I have that green jersey with the 17 Panzer with the C as a shout out to my favorite FM Ice Shark and UND player when I was little staring at me right now.

Here...

120209122706-sioux-hockey-story-top.jpgBTBURIYLPUIBHNN.20110315224600.jpg

These pictures give us some rough illustrations about what Dallas could look like, if they ever decide to change their numbers. They'll need the right adjustments though, if they're going to work. I usually photoshop jersey tweaks and post my shameless plugs here. But currently, Ps is not yet installed on my new computer. So if someone wants to take over this time and fix up Dallas, go right ahead.

I'll find a picture of the back of one of the green ones when I can get to a computer tomorrow. Pre nickname drop the jerseys had no shoulder yolk and the double outline...same breezers and helmet combo as Dallas. The Dallas font I believe is a bit thinner too so just keep that in mind. If someone had the skills to do a quick double outline on both Dallas jerseys that'd be super neat, but if no one wants to I can dig it.

You're not changing opinions by repeating it ad nauseam. Challenge yourself to let a Lightning reference go by next time, I'm sure it will be okay.

Didn't realize Lightning uniforms were such a hot button issue among Bruins fans in the Pacific Northwest.

Lots of things to obsess over while we are inside hiding from the rain.

It's more than mildly ridiculous how someone (not you specifically) with a high post count posts something, someone else repeats it and then it becomes a CCSLC meme, whether true or not. Maple Wings, Phoenix parking lots, etc. And then any time something tangentially related to those memes gets mentioned, multiple rush in to repeat the meme. The boards do have a hive mind because, as you have pointed out to me before, it's inherent to human nature for people to give their opinion on everything. To take that human nature thought further, they also feel the need to be accepted. And the way to get accepted is to trot out whatever the "popular" posters are posting. No, no one is cool for either agreeing with it or showing that they vehemently disagree with it. But it's not necessary for either side to continually harp over the same thing.

There's no one that comes here that thought "Man, I thought Tampa had some nice unis but now that I've read 25 times that they look like the the Maple Leafs, I don't like them anymore." You guys see a baseball uniform thread being derailed by someone who wants pullovers for all 30 teams, I see an NHL uniform thread with people jumping over themselves to point out how two teams have the same color combination anytime the letters T-a-m-p-a are typed.

Free exchange of opinions, thoughts and concepts is a great idea and lots of great conversation has come out of that here. But the endless and mindless repetition of the same trite phrase used in this and multiple other discussions takes that great idea and turns it into a competition to say it as fast and as often as possible.

Here's the thing. This comes off, to me anyway, as "I wish those people would stop expressing that opinion I disagree with."

I'm sorry, but the idea that the Lightning look like the Maple Leafs and Red Wings IS an opinion shared by a large portion of the user base. It will be brought up any time the Lightning are mentioned, whether I choose to toss my $0.02 in or not.

If you disagree with that belief you're free to say so and put forward your arguments in a respectful manner. Again, it's why we're all here.

Telling people they need to bite their tongue because their opinion is one you personally don't want to hear anymore? That's not how things are going to work.

As for any CCSLC "meme base"? Any online community that's large enough and has been around long enough will develop its own in-jokes. Do they get tiresome at times? Sure, but trying to snuff it out would be like trying to hold back a tsunami. It's just not possible.

The hive mind stuff is particularly annoying because it's often brought up by people who only want to show how much smarter/cooler/aloof they are from anyone else here in this community while still professing to be a part of it.

Or to put it another way and circle back to my first point? You can have an opinion that goes against the grain, and you can argue in favour of it, without presenting yourself as someone talking down to all "the little people" of the hive.

Banana yellow belongs to the North Stars years.

What does that even mean? Victory/Kelly green "belonged" to the North Stars in the exact same sense, yet the majority of people - yourself included - have no problem with their current use of it.

The Stars numbers should NOT be outlined in black, and here's why. When you look at their whole uniforms, never does the victory green touch black anywhere, besides the logos. Adding that trim of black will look a bit bad on the home, and disastrous on the road. Especially those small sleeve numbers, which will end up extremely muddied.

No. No no no no no no no. No.

For whatever reason, this same argument gets brought up in defence of the Stars' numbers, no matter how many times its proven incorrect. The Saskatchewan Roughriders use the exact same shade of green as Dallas, and they outline their numbers in black. In the three years they've been wearing these uniforms, I am yet to hear a complaint about legibility.

Chris+Getzlaf+101st+Grey+Cup+ChampionshiRoughriders-new-jerseys.jpggeroy.jpg

-------------------------------------

- I can't remember, did the Rangers retire their crappy "heritage" thirds? It was so refreshing to watch them play the Leafs last night in their proper uniforms.

- Late to the party, but I quite like the Caps' WC jersey. Perhaps it's just because it's one of the few to not be laden with rounders, vintage white, and other derivative nonsense, but hey, if you wanna look skinny, hang out with fat friends, right?

- Tampa's thirds are an abomination. Next to the members of the "Class of '07", they might just be the worst dressed team in the league.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

One can only hope. Yeesh.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

As for any CCSLC "meme base"? Any online community that's large enough and has been around long enough will develop its own in-jokes. Do they get tiresome at times? Sure, but trying to snuff it out would be like trying to hold back a tsunami. It's just not possible.

Those aren't the only two options, policing it or letting it run rampant. Choosing to not be an active participant is also possible.

Archived