2015-16 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

BigBubba

Watching the Sharks, something crossed my mind and forgive me if I missed this, but with the 25th Anniversary patch replacing the front numbers, do we know if the front numbers will return next year or is that up in the air?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wayyyy late on a few things, but a few points:

- The new Colorado alternates are just...bad. The overly-dark colours aside, the logo is just a circle in a triangle. Like some Grade 2 art project. They didn't even try to give the mountain shape (other than the little tuft at the top) or add some sort of "avalanche" aspect (like the primary logo). It's literally one blank geometric shape within another.

- Nashville's yellow lids suck. A set that was maybe two or three tweaks away from being near the top of the league is now teetering towards being one of the worst. And with only one shoulder patch, whose idea was it to put the ASG logo on the chest?

- The Ducks' new alternate, like a lot of the aesthetic decisions they've made, is good in principle but horrible in execution. I love the MD logo and think it's a nice touch to the team's history without deviating far from their current brand (bonus points for working well with the current colours). The emphasis on orange is a welcome change after what, eight or nine years with one of the drabbest colour schemes in the league. But the striping is a mess (like everything they've released since the rebrand), the "staple laces" look like crap, and I'll agree that the "D" does not work as a shoulder logo (much like the Bruins or Avs putting their primaries on the shoulders of their alts)

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

- Nashville's yellow lids suck. A set that was maybe two or three tweaks away from being near the top of the league is now teetering towards being one of the worst. And with only one shoulder patch, whose idea was it to put the ASG logo on the chest?

Nashville used the navy helmets last night. I think they're going to use the yellow on the road. I have a friend who works for the organization. The powers that be want to promote the heck out of the ASG patch, and felt that it didn't look right against the pick-shaped shoulder logos. I prefer the pre-ASG look.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I thought the Yellow helmets were for "certain day of the week" games only.

That was the original intention. It was for Golden Saturdays.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Nashville used the navy helmets last night. I think they're going to use the yellow on the road. I have a friend who works for the organization. The powers that be want to promote the heck out of the ASG patch, and felt that it didn't look right against the pick-shaped shoulder logos. I prefer the pre-ASG look.

What do you mean by that? Are you saying that they might be changing their uniforms soon?

What do you mean by that? Are you saying that they might be changing their uniforms soon?

Believe he means that Nashville will be wearing the yellow helmets during road games.

It feels like the fronts and the backs belong to different jerseys. I wish there were some vintage white (I assume that's what that is?) on the front, or they could have done brown/yellow, solid yellow, or black/yellow on the back. Is the jersey based on an actual old jersey?

It's actually slightly better than I was anticipating with what they did with the stripe positioning and size. I like it, will probably look better with the rest of the uniform.

Brown still would have been a lot better.

It's based on their first ever jersey where the numbers were white, and the only white on the whole thing. Check the link for a side by side

A866B66F-2EE0-4F35-BA07-6A3829BA19BA_zps

That is incredibly underwhelming. Not bad, just really plain and average. They could've done so much better.
I'm with you, man. I don't hate it, but I'm pretty disappointed by it. Like you said, they could've done something way better than this. It doesn't measure up to their last WC jersey at all.

I'd say "good effort," but that would imply there was some here.

EDIT: I do like the chenille on the Bruin. That hasn't been done in the league since the Mighty Ducks' black 3rds, I believe.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This is the jersey it was based on

13061012442475.jpg

Pretty true to life, though the sleeve stripes are a bit big.

Everyone looks back at the old sweaters and thinks "simple, they have to be simple, all they could do is simple." But in reality, this was the era that introduced the Winged-Wheel in Detroit, the intricate detail of the Chicago Black Hawks, and the many many points of the leaf in Toronto. Consider all the barber poles as well. If anything, this was an era that allowed far more detail in logos than we would accept today.

Overall, it's ok. Not overwhelming, not disappointing, just very ok.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived