College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

For everyone supporting the practical reasons why TechFit is good, I'm sorry, but this isn't an engineering or textiles board, this is a board about "sports logos", or more broadly, the aesthetics of sports. Everyone here is fully in their right to criticize TechFit for looking increasingly ugly, and retorting that "they perform well" just doesn't matter all that much here.

This is a fantastic point.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For everyone supporting the practical reasons why TechFit is good, I'm sorry, but this isn't an engineering or textiles board, this is a board about "sports logos", or more broadly, the aesthetics of sports. Everyone here is fully in their right to criticize TechFit for looking increasingly ugly, and retorting that "they perform well" just doesn't matter all that much here.

But the function of a uniform has always determined the aesthetics of a uniform. IMO function should drive the aesthetics and not the other way around....even though this uniform does come off as ugly at first glance. If function didn't improve, we'd all still be talking about the stitching on a leather helmet.

Actually, the UCLA tire treads might not look so bad when they get ran over by other Pac-12 teams this fall.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I get that people don't like the aesthetic choices that adidas has made. I, too, hated their past few sets of March Madness uniforms.

In football, however, adidas' jerseys are technically superior. From a functional point of view, the ideal football jersey would be very similar to a wrestling unitard: a tight, seamless outfit that limits access points for the opponent to grab the fabric.

7247147-WIR-Wisconsin-Iowa-Wrestling-02_

In football, the most functional jersey would be hard to grab (very tight and without seams) and just large enough to cover the shoulder pads.

Except that all jerseys are designed to be form fitting like that

And also because wrestlers wear "singlets", not unitards.. As because it's illegal to grab an opponent's singlet in wrestling.. The form-fitting style is as much for safety as it is anything else.. With all the rolling and turning that goes on in wrestling, it prevents fingers and wrists from getting tangled in baggy clothing and broken.

But yes, Adidas's techfit jerseys are technologically advanced, but the ridiculous shockweb pattern is over the top.. The top Adidas schools have ditched it for over a year now in favor of the techfit.. Adidas needs to concentrate on advancing their techfit line beyond 2 templates and figure their entire decoration debacle out, because their sleeve and shoulder artwork is pretty bad.. I have no problem with the screened-on stripes, but at least make them look better.. They could easily sublimate them into the fabric as well.. I like Adidas, but I'll be the first to admit that they don't do much to help their own case.

But the function of a uniform has always determined the aesthetics of a uniform. IMO function should drive the aesthetics and not the other way around....even though this uniform does come off as ugly at first glance. If function didn't improve, we'd all still be talking about the stitching on a leather helmet.

That's one way of looking at it, and another is that the aesthetics of a uniform is limited by what the function provides. Either way, you're linking the function to aesthetics and thus keeping the discussion relevant to this board. But when people are only talking about function in regards to on-field performance and justifying a uniform based on that, well that just doesn't have any place in a discussion of aesthetics.

I'm not trying to mini-mod or anything, just seems like people are grasping for straws as to why on Earth UCLA should have this uniform as their primary.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

I wouldn't argue that ucla SHOULD wear this opposed to all other options, but I would argue that as a long time Adidas school, they should be wearing a techfit jersey.. Adidas should keep the shockweb in the vault forever IMO and create more techfit options. Adidas makes functional stuff, and the kids LOVE the aesthetics of it (and my brother-in-law is the head coach at a Nike school after leaving an Adidas school, and prefers Adidas's uniforms for his guys by a LOT), but uniform purists hate it.. Adidas would keep more teams in the stripes if they recognized this and made only a few minor tweaks.. Throwing out more shockweb tread is NOT one of those tweaks however

I wish it was only at first glance.

Hell, glance all you want... it's staying ugly.

I wish it was only at first glance.

Hell, glance all you want... it's staying ugly.

I thought about adding on "or 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th...5th...etc."

I don't think he was calling Clarendon "weak" so much as "curvy," especially when compared to their hard-angeles block font numbers.

That's how I interpreted the use of "feminine," anyway.

Maybe everyone can not try not to get outraged so quickly? It is the internet after all, a lot of stuff gets lost in translation.

That's how I took it, curvy. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with saying something looks "feminine" but I kinda understand if you take it as "weak." It really doesn't bother me at all though.

Weak, curvy, whatever. Clarendon sucks as a football font. :D

And I swear adidas will present us with the newest telling of the Emperor's New Clothes within the next decade.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Here are the promo pics with better resolution.

390113.jpg

390115.jpg

390114.jpg

390110.jpg

390111.jpg

390112.jpg

390116.jpg

390117.jpg

I know the dude's wearing pads, but cmon... he looks like a UCLA special-edition Ken doll with that 2-inch midsection. Los like the WRs/CBs off of the Wii Madden games.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

There's a lot to dislike here, but frankly, my biggest problem with the design is the Pac-12 logo. The black makes it nearly invisible and it seems to sit almost directly on top of the shoulder stripe. Horrible.

IOWA HAWKEYES // KANSAS CITY CHIEFS // MINNESOTA TWINS

In all honesty, I think the stripes got put on the wrong shoulders.. If they swapped sides, the angle would be much better and taper in the proper direction.. If not an entire swap, at least the little wedge shape on the front below the seam.. Even switching sides of that little piece would rectify some issues

If brands were a position on an actual football team: Nike would be the star Quarterback, Under Armour the underrated running back, and Adidas the loud and cocky receiver who clearly has potential (and shows it at times), but just leaves you shaking your head in disappointment more times than not. Russell Athletic is the backup kicker. The shock web is awful. An adidas team has not won a championship since Tennessee in 98, and they certainly didn't do it because of an advantage in uniform functionality. Tech fit, however, can look fantastic. All adidas really needs to do for UCLA is fix the stripes and change the template. I'm personally a fan of the Clarendon as well. I'm all for small tweaks and modernization that upgrade a uniform, but a classic look like this is just ruined by this sorta stuff, and I highly doubt it is all of a sudden now getting them better recruits

Wearing your jersey untucked with no TV numbers is what's hot in the streets now?

The Techfit ShockWeb actually inserts into the game pants whenever the player puts the jersey on and comes out of the tunnel. The reaction of sunlight on the jersey makes it shrink and insert itself. For night games, they were able to add a new innovation, "NightForce" that allows the jersey to react to the stadium lights at night.

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Wearing your jersey untucked with no TV numbers is what's hot in the streets now?

The Techfit ShockWeb actually inserts into the game pants whenever the player puts the jersey on and comes out of the tunnel. The reaction of sunlight on the jersey makes it shrink and insert itself. For night games, they were able to add a new innovation, "NightForce" that allows the jersey to react to the stadium lights at night.

The ShockWeb/NightForce technology developed for UCLA references the iconic way Los Angeles' prolific street gangs tuck/untuck their shirts to conceal handguns.

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived