College Football Uniforms - 2015 Season

buckeye

For your sake, hopefully they at least look respectable. It's a great brand, with a great color scheme, and it theoretically should be hard to mess this up. I just have no faith in adidas -- exacerbated by the fact that I'm Nike homer. :ninja:

I mean, theoretically this should be hard to mess up too...

390114.jpg

Well it's harder to mess up than this. But I know what you're saying. Are the UCLA fans liking it or only the players?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ucla fan and local here. I don't mind the shiny gold but they need to go back to clarendon font as that is classic to this team. Bring back the clarendon font, baby blue jerseys and the longer shoulder stripes

Here are the promo pics with better resolution.

390113.jpg

390115.jpg

390114.jpg

390110.jpg

390111.jpg

390112.jpg

390116.jpg

390117.jpg

This is an unmitigated disaster from top to bottom and quite possibly the worst uniform in college football history, not counting the catalog-ordered disasters that smaller schools have resorted to. There isn't a single aspect of this uniform that is well executed or aesthetically appealing.

I have no idea how anyone at Adidas HQ could possibly think that the tire tread pattern a.) looks good and b.) needs to be more prominent and cover more of the jersey. Do they not test these designs with focus groups before they :censored: them out all over the assembly line?

Still, the template looks amazing compared to the design. What is the purpose of the slashes in the stripes and numbers other than to distract and be ugly? Why did they dump the serif numbers and go back to boring block numbers after only one year? And like every Adidas uniform nowadays, the design elements are stretched and warped beyond recognition on that awful template.

This isn't even hyperbole. This uniform is Exhibit A of what not to do when designing a uniform. I know Nike is everyone's favorite punching bag on here, but they would never design something this terrible and amateurish.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

They have updated their templates continually over the past 5 years. When it comes down to it all football uniforms are made of the same spandex like form fitting moisture wicking materials (that were first created by under armour), the only differences are ventilation which Adidas simply does not have compared to the others.

Are you certain? I have held an NFL team-issued Seahawks jersey given to our school from the alumnus who wore it while playing for the Seahawks, as well as a custom UA jersey (2 years old), a stock UA jersey (4 years old), and a brand new Adidas techfit shockweb jersey (brand new) all within the last week, and they are all vastly different material, except for the 2 UA jerseys..
They all might seem different, but they are all polyester and elastane blend fabrics that are form fitting and moisture wicking, the only real difference is how the textile made them and their weight. Thats why Adidas has the shock wave because it was weaved a different way, but really that's the only difference, the thread is the same as any other uniform. Further more, the elastane creates the tight fit, the polyester does not absorb moisture, under armour uses about a 88-12 polyester to elastane blend, I wish I had my game used Patriots jersey with me but I'm traveling but I would say it is about the same, maybe 85-15 ratio for them, and I do have a Adidas jersey too but not with me as well but I would have to assume that their jerseys have more elastane in their blend to create their skin tight jerseys. The thing that Nike and under armour excel at though more than addidas is putting zones in their jersey with increased ventilation in them, versus Adidas which is all one material with different weaves in the construction of the jersey in different areas, but nothing to allow more air through, or allow sweat to escape.
well, yes and no.. adidas techfit jerseys are 95% Nylon and 5% spandex, while our under armour jerseys are 100% polyester.. granted, they are all formed from various categories of synthetic polymers, but so are water bottles and toothbrushes, so to infer that they're all the same is a bit of a stretch. also, the ability to wick moisture is actually done through the process of adding a chemical to the material, not necessarily a characteristic of the material itself. obviously, some materials are better at performing the task than others, which is why you don't see many "dri-fit" wool sweaters, but i bet if you put on an old 1970's polyester leisure suit and run around outside in the summer heat, you won't feel like it's wicking a lot of moisture away from your body. basically, each company has their own technology and puts forth a certain amount of effort to not only be better, but to aslo be different.. it's easier to market "different" and the benefits that "different" provides, than it is to copycat someone else and then try to convince consumers that your product is superior. i'm not sure what the current nike jerseys are made of since i can't access the tag of the jersey we have (its framed from one of our NFL players), but the differences between adidas and under armour illustrate the differences between the companies and how one can offer benefits over another.

390113.jpg

390115.jpg

390114.jpg

390110.jpg

390111.jpg

390112.jpg

390116.jpg

390117.jpg

This is an unmitigated disaster from top to bottom and quite possibly the worst uniform in college football history, not counting the catalog-ordered disasters that smaller schools have resorted to. There isn't a single aspect of this uniform that is well executed or aesthetically appealing.

I have no idea how anyone at Adidas HQ could possibly think that the tire tread pattern a.) looks good and b.) needs to be more prominent and cover more of the jersey. Do they not test these designs with focus groups before they :censored: them out all over the assembly line?

Still, the template looks amazing compared to the design. What is the purpose of the slashes in the stripes and numbers other than to distract and be ugly? Why did they dump the serif numbers and go back to boring block numbers after only one year? And like every Adidas uniform nowadays, the design elements are stretched and warped beyond recognition on that awful template.

This isn't even hyperbole. This uniform is Exhibit A of what not to do when designing a uniform. I know Nike is everyone's favorite punching bag on here, but they would never design something this terrible and amateurish.

last year, the promo images had the slashes in the shoulder stripes, but the black jerseys that actually hit the field didn't have them (but rather had an actual insert of stripes sewn into the shoulder area - almost as it should be).. so, it could be an attempt to make these seem "better" so they can just cheaply print or press the stripes onto the fan jerseys to sell, while still putting at least marginal effort into creating a somewhat more acceptable game jersey for the team.

They have updated their templates continually over the past 5 years. When it comes down to it all football uniforms are made of the same spandex like form fitting moisture wicking materials (that were first created by under armour), the only differences are ventilation which Adidas simply does not have compared to the others.

Are you certain? I have held an NFL team-issued Seahawks jersey given to our school from the alumnus who wore it while playing for the Seahawks, as well as a custom UA jersey (2 years old), a stock UA jersey (4 years old), and a brand new Adidas techfit shockweb jersey (brand new) all within the last week, and they are all vastly different material, except for the 2 UA jerseys..
They all might seem different, but they are all polyester and elastane blend fabrics that are form fitting and moisture wicking, the only real difference is how the textile made them and their weight. Thats why Adidas has the shock wave because it was weaved a different way, but really that's the only difference, the thread is the same as any other uniform. Further more, the elastane creates the tight fit, the polyester does not absorb moisture, under armour uses about a 88-12 polyester to elastane blend, I wish I had my game used Patriots jersey with me but I'm traveling but I would say it is about the same, maybe 85-15 ratio for them, and I do have a Adidas jersey too but not with me as well but I would have to assume that their jerseys have more elastane in their blend to create their skin tight jerseys. The thing that Nike and under armour excel at though more than addidas is putting zones in their jersey with increased ventilation in them, versus Adidas which is all one material with different weaves in the construction of the jersey in different areas, but nothing to allow more air through, or allow sweat to escape.
well, yes and no.. adidas techfit jerseys are 95% Nylon and 5% spandex, while our under armour jerseys are 100% polyester.. granted, they are all formed from various categories of synthetic polymers, but so are water bottles and toothbrushes, so to infer that they're all the same is a bit of a stretch. also, the ability to wick moisture is actually done through the process of adding a chemical to the material, not necessarily a characteristic of the material itself. obviously, some materials are better at performing the task than others, which is why you don't see many "dri-fit" wool sweaters, but i bet if you put on an old 1970's polyester leisure suit and run around outside in the summer heat, you won't feel like it's wicking a lot of moisture away from your body. basically, each company has their own technology and puts forth a certain amount of effort to not only be better, but to aslo be different.. it's easier to market "different" and the benefits that "different" provides, than it is to copycat someone else and then try to convince consumers that your product is superior. i'm not sure what the current nike jerseys are made of since i can't access the tag of the jersey we have (its framed from one of our NFL players), but the differences between adidas and under armour illustrate the differences between the companies and how one can offer benefits over another.

to expand on this a bit, i believe these jerseys (and certainly the undershirts) are not just water resistent materials, but also "self cooling fabrics" and are most likely being developed by companies outside of Nike, adidas, and UA. you can look to outdoor apparel companies for examples. i cannot confirm this, but WavePunter, when you mentioned the fabrics using a chemical in them, it reminded me of someone once telling me the Jaguars new uniforms had mint infused in them to "self cool". i also wrote an article about the topic a couple of years ago, this from that article:

"Conventional wisdom says that to cool the body, you need to move air and have ventilation; something modern jerseys and helmets are designed to do. But with these new materials, companies are saying cooling comes from conduction, where the material cools the skin. Basically, when the fabric gets wet, it gets cold.

Adidas is already in the game with Climachill, which will hit the marketplace in spring 2014. It acts like a mesh, using titanium cooling fibers and aluminum silver dots that cool the body. A company I’m more interested in is Dr Cools (drcoolrecovery.com) who also has material hitting the marketplace in spring 2014. Their biggest piece right now is a hoodie which is endorsed by Reggie Bush, using EnduraCool technology. It does the same thing as adidas’ version in principle; when the material gets wet from sweat, it gets cold. Another company doing the same but I know very little about is NEXAR."
the DrCool marketing manager left a comment on that article with this response
"Great blog post about cooling technology. This is definitely the way of the future when it comes to performance fabrics. To clarify, Dr. Cool is made by Coolcore which is the technology that powers the Mission AthleteCare EnduraCool line.

The difference between Coolcore technology and Nike, Adidas ClimaCool and even this new NEXAR company is that Coolcore is completely chemical free where as these other companies typically use polymers or PCM's to activiate their cooling technology.

The major component to this cooling sensation isn't actually conduction, but controlled evaporation from moisture. Whether it's sweat or water, it can be activated either way.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

What is the purpose of the slashes in the stripes and numbers other than to distract and be ugly?

To allow the uniform to stretch and contour to each player without the numbers tearing or preventing the uniform to fully flex. I don't like the way it looks either but that's why its there. This Adidas template is meant to stretch more in the torso area than the previous version.

All the Power Five Conference's names no longer fit their membership.

Atlantic Coast Conference = 14 full members and 1 affiliate member (Notre Dame) and 3 schools in states that do not touch the Atlantic Coast (Pittsburgh (PA), Notre Dame (IN), and Louisville (KY))

Big 12 Conference = 10 full members

Big Ten Conference = 14 full members and 1 affiliate member in Lacrosse (Johns Hopkins)

Pacific-12 Conference = 4 members nowhere near the Pacific Ocean (Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, and Utah)

Southeastern Conference = 5 non-Southeastern schools (Missouri (Midwest), Arkansas, Texas A & M, and Louisiana State (Southern) and Kentucky is in the Mid-South, not Southeastern.

Also, the Western Athletic Conference has 8 members and only 5 are Western: United States Air Force Academy, California State University, Sacramento, New Mexico State University, Utah Valley University, and Grand Canyon University (in Phoenix, For-Profit). Non-Western WAC members are Chicago State University, University of Missouri-Kansas City and University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.

The current Big East Conference has 5 Midwestern schools (Butler University, Creighton University, DePaul University, Marquette University, and Xavier University) and 5 Eastern Schools (Georgetown University, Providence College, Seton Hall University, St. John's University, and Villanova University)

Of the 7 Founding Members of the original Big East 4 are in the current Big East (Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall and St. John's) 2 are in the ACC (Boston College and Syracuse) and 1 is in the American Athletic Conference (Connecticut). Villanova was not a founding member as they had a commitment to the conference now known as the Atlantic 10 in the 1979 season.

390113.jpg

390115.jpg

390114.jpg

390110.jpg

390111.jpg

390112.jpg

390116.jpg

390117.jpg

last year, the promo images had the slashes in the shoulder stripes, but the black jerseys that actually hit the field didn't have them (but rather had an actual insert of stripes sewn into the shoulder area - almost as it should be).. so, it could be an attempt to make these seem "better" so they can just cheaply print or press the stripes onto the fan jerseys to sell, while still putting at least marginal effort into creating a somewhat more acceptable game jersey for the team.

If you do a google image search the it confirms the stripes were laid over the shoulders for the game uniforms and were not fabric inserts.

As long as both teams are wearing the same technology, it doesn't matter how advanced the technology becomes. I just wish they would stop all this nonsense.

Maybe from a competitive sense, but not from an entertainment sense at all.

The ultimate goal of all these changes and innovations are to allow the player to perform at their absolute best. Even if both teams are being cooked more efficiently, and one does not have an advantage over the other, the overall level of competition will be raised for both sides. Idealy, that produces a better end product and more entertaining sport.

390113.jpg

390115.jpg

390114.jpg

390110.jpg

390111.jpg

390112.jpg

390116.jpg

390117.jpg

If you do a google image search the it confirms the stripes were laid over the shoulders for the game uniforms and were not fabric inserts.

The point was that they were not screen printed or heat pressed on, but rather a strip of fabric was sewn into place as we would all prefer.. It's still a shoulder insert, even if it's not "inserted" into THIS particular jersey the way it normally would be.. It's much better to have the proper rib-knit fabric than those ugly hash mark stripes of screened/pressed material

I think some of these are a little more nitpicky, pac 12 all teams are on the Pacific coast Sec all teams are pretty much in southeast. Big 12 is just dumb though just add two more teams and get a championship game going like everyone wants you to

Utah and Colorado are not on the Pacific coast.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

[PICS]

The point was that they were not screen printed or heat pressed on, but rather a strip of fabric was sewn into place as we would all prefer.. It's still a shoulder insert, even if it's not "inserted" into THIS particular jersey the way it normally would be.. It's much better to have the proper rib-knit fabric than those ugly hash mark stripes of screened/pressed material

Sounds like the two of you are confusing two different UCLA unis. They have used both sewn inserts and screenprinted applications.

10-ucla-s-l-midnight_pg_600.jpg

arizona-v-ucla-20141102-043108-807.jpg

Archived