Ask A Moderator

57 minutes ago, Olmec said:

How does one become a moderator?

It's a complicated process, but I'll do my best to explain how it works.

First, the Majestic XII has to decide to open the moderator books. This happens roughly every 23 to 27 months. It's called the "Twenty Three to Twenty Seven Month Quell." A combination of charts, equations, Jim Beam, and a washing machine are used to determine the exact time frame. Once the M-XII declares "the moderator books are open", there is a special M-XII committee that selects members as a possible moderator candidates. Usually, 31 members are "tapped" as potential mod candidates, but that number can be a little higher or a little lower depending on that season's quell. "Tapped" candidates will find Hartford Whalers jersey slipped under their door. Once the 31 members are selected as a potential mods, there are a series of grueling physical and mental tests in which each candidate must participate. Secrecy forbids me from being specific about the tests, but I can tell you that they're not easy.

Of the initial 31 (give or take) candidates, the number that make it through the initial process averages about 4.7. Some quells may produce five or more candidates while other quells have been a complete waste of everyone's time because no one got past round one. The candidates who survive the initial process are then subjected to another series of even more grueling physical and mental tests. Again, I can't be specific, but I can tell you that part of it requires building an air compressor from scratch. Generally, 1-2 candidates will make it past round two of testing. Those candidates are then voted on by the full membership of the Majestic XII. The M-XII vote must be unanimous. If the vote is not unanimous, the M-XII will post a picture of a Cleveland Browns helmet with a random logo on it. If the vote is unanimous and a new mod has been selected, the M-XII will post a picture of an NFL helmet with a gray face mask to let the masses know that a decision has been made and a new moderator has joined the ranks.

Hope that explains it.

• Like 9

BB52Big.jpg

51 minutes ago, Olmec said:

How does one become a moderator?

After you win the scratch-off ticket contest, which I think they run every couple of weeks, you qualify for the monthly newsletter.  There are several vouchers in every issue that you need to put your username on, mail those back to the CCSLC P.O. box, and if you're lucky they'll Sharpie your username onto a ping pong ball for the bi-annual Mod Drawing. 

If your ping-pong ball gets selected, there's a 10-week vetting period where existing mods will go through your post history, and if that goes well they will mail you a parchment note wrapped around a severed goat hoof.  The hoof is purely ornamental, but the parchment note has the coordinates for the next winter's ModMoot, held on some remote location which I believe is near Vancouver Island.  The mods then, insofar as I have heard, perform various manners of blood ritual to channel the wisdom of all previous mods, and Creamer himself makes a rare appearance to scatter bones and pebbles onto a Toronto Maple Leafs jersey.  Should the moon and omens all be in your favor, they'll probably make you a mod.

Majestic XII fact checkers have determined that this post contains information that is false. (Except for the parts about the hoof and the island.)

Edited by infrared41
Contains false information
  • Like 6
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

First, the Majestic XII has to decide to open the moderator books. This happens roughly every 23 to 27 months. It's called the "Twenty Three to Twenty Seven Month Quell." A combination of charts, equations, Jim Beam, and a washing machine are used to determine the exact time frame. Once the M-XII declares "the moderator books are open", there is a special M-XII committee that selects members as a possible moderator candidates. Usually, 31 members are "tapped" as potential mod candidates, but that number can be a little higher or a little lower depending on that season's quell. "Tapped" candidates will find Hartford Whalers jersey slipped under their door. Once the 31 members are selected as a potential mods, there are a series of grueling physical and mental tests in which each candidate must participate. Secrecy forbids me from being specific about the tests, but I can tell you that they're not easy.

Of the initial 31 (give or take) candidates, the number that make it through the initial process averages about 4.7. Some quells may produce five or more candidates while other quells have been a complete waste of everyone's time because no one got past round one. The candidates who survive the initial process are then subjected to another series of even more grueling physical and mental tests. Again, I can't be specific, but I can tell you that part of it requires building an air compressor from scratch. Generally, 1-2 candidates will make it past round two of testing. Those candidates are then voted on by the full membership of the Majestic XII. The M-XII vote must be unanimous. If the vote is not unanimous, the M-XII will post a picture of a Cleveland Browns helmet with a random logo on it. If the vote is unanimous and a new mod has been selected, the M-XII will post a picture of an NFL helmet with a gray face mask to let the masses know that a decision has been made and a new moderator has joined the ranks.

Hope that explains it.

So that vote must be 23-0, correct?

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

Here's a fun game for those of us who have been around a decade or more - who were the mods when you joined?

The ones I remember from way back in my day:

Joel Fiasco

JP Slapshot

Puckguy (I think he was a mod... not certain)

Yale Hollander (or just YH)

Yzerfan (admin)

Spyboy (might have the name wrong... he did like a million Wpg Jets concepts

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Here's a fun game for those of us who have been around a decade or more - who were the mods when you joined?

Looks like you're thinking of SyPhi (sp?), who later changed his username to his actual name, Phil. Great guy from Winnipeg.

Spyboy's from Minnesota, and runs the Third String Goalie blog. If you're into hockey sweaters, check it out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Best I can remember, Lee, Slapshot, Mockba (now -kj-) Brian in Boston, YH, JoshWaggle (or something like that), and I believe Chris was still a mod way back then. There may have been more, but those are the ones I remember.

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The ones I remember from way back in my day:

Joel Fiasco

JP Slapshot

Puckguy (I think he was a mod... not certain)

Yale Hollander (or just YH)

Yzerfan (admin)

Honestly I never paid attention to who were the mods back in the day. Didn't even know they were a thing. Just figured Chris was the mod since it was his site and he used to post. 

On 8/3/2020 at 2:07 PM, infrared41 said:

First, the Majestic XII has to decide to open the moderator books. This happens roughly every 23 to 27 months. It's called the "Twenty Three to Twenty Seven Month Quell." A combination of charts, equations, Jim Beam,

Well there's your problem. You need some Arkansas corn-based vodka from Rock Town Distillery.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:46 PM, Gordie said:

Looks like you're thinking of SyPhi (sp?), who later changed his username to his actual name, Phil. Great guy from Winnipeg.

Spyboy's from Minnesota, and runs the Third String Goalie blog. If you're into hockey sweaters, check it out.

Yep that's it - SyPhi.  Wonder whatever happened to him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yep that's it - SyPhi.  Wonder whatever happened to him.

I remember that he got a job and left here because after staring at a computer screen all day he had no desire to keep doing so when he got home.

VmWIn6B.png

27 minutes ago, LMU said:

I remember that he got a job and left here because after staring at a computer screen all day he had no desire to keep doing so when he got home.

I was going to say that, unlike most of us, he grew up 🙂

• Like 6

It's where I sit.

• 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

Curious question: why are there two Name That Font! threads between the General Discussion and Requests? 

I believe we've mainly kept the one in General Discussion around because you need to have 100 posts to view the Requests forum.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JackieMoon said:

I would like to have my account deleted. I will no longer be following "pro sports" and wish to have my account erased. Thank you.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:24 PM, LMU said:

All you have to do is reset your password with random gibberish if you're so hell-bent on not being here.  You don't need us for that.

VmWIn6B.png

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.