Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

So in recap, there are five teams that will have to wear their normal road uniforms due to clashing. This is in addition to the six teams who unveiled white uniforms. So there are 17 weeks of football (not sure how many are in the TNF package) but 11 games will not feature both teams in colored uniforms. Doesn't this sort of ruin the point of the entire event?

image.png

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

I would bet all of these CR unis were in the design and approval process long before the schedule came out.  These CR unis are clearly meant to be more than one year uniforms.  

You are correct the design and approval process of the NFL takes about a year so all 32 teams had their color rush in the works going into last season. The NFL just chose to only roll out a few last year to see reaction before going league wide with it.

18 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

So in recap, there are five teams that will have to wear their normal road uniforms due to clashing. This is in addition to the six teams who unveiled white uniforms. So there are 17 weeks of football (not sure how many are in the TNF package) but 11 games will not feature both teams in colored uniforms. Doesn't this sort of ruin the point of the entire event?

image.png

Yep, a big NFail...

I put together an imgur album of the uniforms for a quick reference. Here's the link:

http://imgur.com/a/hwxcG

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 2.24.55 PM.png

Here's a gif (in order from AFC North, East, South, West, NFC North, East, South, West)

ColorRush.gif

And all 32 teams:

Spoiler

Bears.png

Bengals.png

Bills.png

Broncos.png

Browns.png

Buccaneers.png

Cardinals.png

Chargers.png

Chiefs.png

Colts.png

Cowboys.png

Dolphins.png

Eagles.png

49ers.png

Falcons.png

Giants.png

Jaguars.png

Jets.png

Lions.png

Packers.png

Panthers.png

Patriots.png

Raiders.png

Rams.png

Ravens.png

Redskins.png

Saints.png

Seahawks.png

Steelers.png

Texans.png

Titans.png

Vikings.png

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Well, if the "Legend" jerseys are polyester and not cotton, I guess that basically makes them soccer jerseys, minus any sewn-on patches or embroidery. $80 still seems steep for that option. $50-$60 would probably be more in line with what you get for the price.

As someone who still carries a torch for the Orlando Thunder, boy, I like that Seahawks one, and wish it would replace their pointless gray alternate.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

11 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

I see no love for the Redskins color rush (which they won't be using), but who wears all yellow better, Redskins or Rams?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsPLr7EXgAA0Sjs.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsPP2F9VMAAMUZJ.jpg

Rams....it could seriously be used as a replacement for the white/away uni.

9 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Well, if the "Legend" jerseys are polyester and not cotton, I guess that basically makes them soccer jerseys, minus any sewn-on patches or embroidery. $80 still seems steep for that option. $50-$60 would probably be more in line with what you get for the price.

As someone who still carries a torch for the Orlando Thunder, boy, I like that Seahawks one, and wish it would replace their pointless gray alternate.

$150 seems like a lot for the Limited.  Either way, Nike and the NFL aren't afraid to separate people from their money.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

33 minutes ago, canzman said:

You are correct the design and approval process of the NFL takes about a year so all 32 teams had their color rush in the works going into last season. The NFL just chose to only roll out a few last year to see reaction before going league wide with it.

Seriously, the NFL and Nike didn't really think this out well. They'll either have to introduce 2 Color Rush unis per team ("clash kit" I guess), or put out the Thursday night matchups well before the NFL schedule is even announced. With a bit of forethought, they could have avoided this mess. They could have learned from past history too...like the NFL mandating that one team wear a white jersey way back in 1957. Clearly they understood then that it was too hard to tell teams apart on the ol' black-and-white tellies.

OTOH, the NFL could just say "to heck with your color-blindness" and have the teams wear their colored uniforms. They could just say "hey, we're sorry about your disability but we have jerseys to sell." :blush:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

So why can't teams like the Texans, Cardinals, and Falcons, who all have preexisting alts that would clash with their opponents' Color Rush uniforms, wear those, and thus still partake in the color on color aspect of the program? As far as I can imagine, The Texans wearing red would clash with the Patriots navy, the Cardinals in all red would clash with the 49ers wearing all black, and the Falcons in all black would clash with the Bucs in all red. Then they can wear their actual special Color Rush jerseys next year or whatever. I don't get it. 

11 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Rams....it could seriously be used as a replacement for the white/away uni.

I agree with you here...almost. The pant stripe that the Rams use here (and on the beautiful throwback uniforms) is one of my biggest pet peeves in sports aesthetics. The Rams are one of the few teams who should avoid the use of white all together (like the Cavs). The white stripe sticks out like a sore thumb and immediately draws your eye. A pant stripe should not be the first thing someone looks at when they see a football uniform.

Great thoughts from everyone. I think the missing part of all of this (confusion on the schedule, etc.) is these jerseys clearly seem to be for more than 2016... like they might even be "permanent". So therefore, these are literally an alternate uniform for the team IF they play on TNF. My assumption is the NFL 5 year rule will apply to these as well. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I second the point that the NFL and Nike should have gone all out and given each team TWO Color Rush looks to avoid the color-blind clashing/opponent matching issues. 

Yes, I know some teams like the Colts and Jets only have one color plus white, but you could stylistically do an impressive white Color Rush look similar to Dallas'.

This whole thing just feels so half-assed now. 

Archived