AHL- Calder Cup Champs change name to Cleveland Monsters

Burning River

42 minutes ago, Burning River said:

http://www.wsmv.com/story/32719721/lake-erie-monsters-change-name-get-new-uniforms

I guess it's fine. It loses the identity of tying in to the urban legend of "The Lake Erie Monster".  I like the uniforms.  

This feels like a good change.  Having a body of water as a place name became entrenched by Tampa Bay, and we tend to accept it because it's an attempt not to decide between Tampa and St. Petersburg.

A similar thing happened in the MLL when the Baltimore Bayhawks became the Washington Bayhawks before settling on being the Chesapeake Bayhawks.  That doesn't refer to a city called "Chesapeake"; it combines with their nickname to refer to the Chesapeake Bay, thereby taking in both Baltimore and Washington.

Also, in the early 1990s there was a soccer team in San Jose that used the name "San Francisco Bay Blackhawks", clearly trying to appeal at the same time to San Jose, San Francisco, and Oakland.

But there are no multiple cities in the case of a Cleveland team.  Alluding to an urban legend is not enough to make "Lake Erie Monsters" a good name.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Wait, so Black and blue are the main colors in the logo, yet maroon & gold (along with black) are the main colors?

The name change is long overdue but the identity still sucks. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

13 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Wait, so Black and blue are the main colors in the logo, yet maroon & gold (along with black) are the main colors?

The main colours, according to the website, are black, wine and gold.

The blue in the logo is kind of the same as the yellow, green, blue and orange in the Blackhawks logo.

IbjBaeE.png

The template really does suck, though. 

It's very 2008, in the worst way, and the rather horizontal logo looks awful on a very vertical template with no stripes below it...and it's just as bad on the wordmark jersey.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I actually like the CLEVELAND diagonal jersey and think it might sell very well. Especially for those that might not be as diehard fans of the Monsters but like the colors and would rather have CLEVELAND across their torso than the Monsters logo that outside of Cleveland means very little to anyone.

Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't keep selling that at the Cavs team shops during the season just as much as they do during Monsters games.

54 minutes ago, mr.nascar13 said:

Maroon has always been part of the identity.

'Bout time they admitted they played in Cleveland. :P

Uniforms could be better, that colour scheme feels like they're trying to piggyback off of the Cavs. Then again the ones they had weren't all that great either, so I guess it's a wash.

I see it as a lateral move. They fixed some issues, but a few details are a step back. The name change is a good move. The team garnered a lot of attention for being lauded as breaking the championship drought. Sure, the Cavs eclipsed that eight days later, but they had a lot of exposure, a long overdue rebranding to try and capitalize on that is a good business move.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Eh, I personally think "Lake Erie Monsters" sounds better than "Cleveland Monsters", but I knew the change was going to happen eventually. Those new uniforms are terrible, but I mean, almost all AHL uniforms are terrible.

I kind of wonder if this is a precursor to the next Cavs uniform redesign. The two teams are owned by the same group, and black took on a pretty prominent role in the Cavs' identity with the addition of the sleeved jersey (which then really took off with the last three games of the Finals).

It's entirely possible (even probable) the Cavs keep the navy, but I won't be shocked if they do a uniform redesign when Nike takes over and go with wine-gold-black.

Monster in the Lake makes sense, a little less in the City.

Template awf-ucking-ful; colours? too much Cavs, not enough Jackets.

WOnder if the Cavs didn't win if they would have gone with that rip-off bandwagon colour scheme?

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

The name is a damn sight better than the "Lake Erie Monsters (Cleveland)" nonsense they've been jerking around with the past few seasons. The uniforms are atrocious. They somehow downgraded from the originals, which were merely a recolor of the Flyers' Edge 1.0 template. That should have been impossible.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The crazy thing is the Cavs changing it up to wear the black sleeved jersey's for The Finals Game #5 and #7.  No one saw that coming... maybe changing to the Wine "CLEVELAND" road jersey because of the losses. After they won, the amount of black "C" Championship gear available was insane!  I wonder too if Cavs will phase out the blue. Black was part of their color scheme in mid 90s... when The Arena opened.

Monsters always used wine and black in their jersey design, no gold.  The logo was always black with the gold eye... no wine.  So, they still haven't gotten the jersey and logo marriage right.

Here is a link to the (3) jersey designs.  (Sorry,  I cannot access and post from photo sharing sights while at work)  They will also have a gold alternate. They state that they will have the Blue Jacket themed alternate as well.

Click and Scroll down for Jersey designs

Archived