MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

22 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the oversized lettering looks cheap and tacky.  Like a Chinese knock-off.

It's a good thing Saltalamacchia wasn't kicking around back then.  They barely fit "Driessen".

That being said, it's a part of the team's history, and it would be fine for them to bring it back.  It's a quirk like the multiple NY's or D's, or the Cowboy's color schemes.  I wouldn't want it across the league, but it works in one place.

I was talking about the numbers, not the NOB's. The big letters are super tacky, but the bold numbers (like what the Royals now use) are not.

070d66cfa2892c803bdd075a51739e94--royals

They're the best way to do one-color numbers with block standard.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I was talking about the numbers, not the NOB's. The big letters are super tacky, but the bold numbers (like what the Royals now use) are not.

I agree, I love the Royals' numbers and wish the Dodgers used them (especially since the Dodgers don't have the white outline anymore). Other teams that use the same block font, like the Cardinals, at least have a visible outline around the numbers, so they don't seem as thin.

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm actually really not a fan of those, they come off as too thick to me. Maybe it's because I'm used to the normal block, but those appear as blue with a blue outline in my mind. 

1 hour ago, Shumway said:

Cleveland's wearing these throwbacks tonight....

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1646/25618265101_c78648ae8f_o.jpg

(Someone asked on twitter if red pants are part of it, and they confirmed)

Blank sleeves, Wahoo continues to be phased out. Good to see a jersey with NOBs directly stitched on. I'm not sure why they are so attached to a nameplate on the normal set.

Regular Block C helmets, Rays have fauxbacks to match the hat.

10 hours ago, csura999 said:

Pictures of the Indians' throwbacks, tonight:

mike-clevinger-of-the-cleveland-indians-pitches-during-the-first-of-picture-id830888382?s=594x594

shortstop-francisco-lindor-of-the-cleveland-indians-hauls-in-the-picture-id830888508?s=594x594

Enjoyed the Cleveland throwbacks as well, but I had an empty feeling with Tampa Bay's attire. While those Indian teams during that era were mediocre,, it was still based in reality, and Cleveland had notable players like Frank Robinson, Dennis Eckersley, Gaylord Perry, etc., who played in those uniforms. Since the Rays didn't even remotely exist in 1975, it's more of a make-believe type of situation.   

3 hours ago, Gold Pinstripes said:

Enjoyed the Cleveland throwbacks as well, but I had an empty feeling with Tampa Bay's attire. While those Indian teams during that era were mediocre,, it was still based in reality, and Cleveland had notable players like Frank Robinson, Dennis Eckersley, Gaylord Perry, etc., who played in those uniforms. Since the Rays didn't even remotely exist in 1975, it's more of a make-believe type of situation.   

The Rays have been doing their faux throwbacks for a few years. I think it's a fun promotion. 

37 minutes ago, hormone said:

So we know when the devil rays became the rays, but given their 2 fauxbacks, when did the rays become the devil rays? :)

1998, when the team ditched their classic double blue and yellow color scheme for black and rainbow. In 2008, after massive fan outcries, the team reverted back to the traditional color scheme as well as the "sunburst" part of the identity. 

:P

ExJworW.png

2 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

1998, when the team ditched their classic double blue and yellow color scheme for black and rainbow. In 2008, after massive fan outcries, the team reverted back to the traditional color scheme as well as the "sunburst" part of the identity. 

What about the Devil Ray fans who long for the "green" years of '01 - '07?  Who speaks for them?

16 minutes ago, Hat Boy said:

What about the Devil Ray fans who long for the "green" years of '01 - '07?  Who speaks for them?

It was their best look, but unfortunately, some franchises are averse to looking their best.  One out in San Diego comes to mind.

Light blue and yellow or light blue and dark green (think Tulane). I'd be happy with either one and both would be unique to major league baseball. 

Navy blue and light blue can get lost forever. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived