Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

36 minutes ago, ColeJ said:

I mean, like the name or hate the name.... Some of y'all's reasoning is just grasping at straws though.

I still think it's the best NHL expansion team name in decades.

Wait, how many decades? I think the Blue Jackets is better. Most of the 90s expansion/relocation team names are better too.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always though Seattle Sockeyes was a really bad choice for a team name.  And it's a :censored:ing ugly fish on top of that.  But it's still a million times better than Kraken.

That said, I agree that I don't think this rumor is true.  

On 1/30/2020 at 9:09 AM, ColeJ said:

I still think it's the best NHL expansion team name in decades.

Considering we've had like...two expansions this century and only three decades, that's not saying a lot.

And I unironically prefer "Sharks", "Mighty Ducks", "Panthers", "Lightning", "Predators", "Thrashers", "Wild", "Blue Jackets", and "Golden Knights" to "Kraken" as a team name. "Sharks" works because San Jose is in the Red Triangle, "Mighty Ducks" is kinda goofy but still sounds good and works for a Disney team, "Panthers" is a very standard team name that's always worked, "Wild" is unconventional but flows well, and the rest are all pluralized as team names should generally be.

Three of them also have actual ties to the state that aren't massive stretches; Atlanta's name and color scheme tie to Georgia's state bird, the Tampa Bay area is the "Lightning Capital of North America" due to the frequent thunderstorms in the area, and "Blue Jackets" is in reference to Ohio's history in the Civil War.

"Kraken" is not only singular, it's a stupid attempt to cash in on a dead meme with very, very faint ties to the region if you reaaaaaally squint and it flows awfully. I seriously hope it isn't actually the name they're going with, because it's just a terrible name all around.

47 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Considering we've had like...two expansions this century and only three decades, that's not saying a lot.

And I unironically prefer "Sharks", "Mighty Ducks", "Panthers", "Lightning", "Predators", "Thrashers", "Wild", "Blue Jackets", and "Golden Knights" to "Kraken" as a team name. "Sharks" works because San Jose is in the Red Triangle, "Mighty Ducks" is kinda goofy but still sounds good and works for a Disney team, "Panthers" is a very standard team name that's alwaysw worked, "Wild" is unconventional but flows well, and the rest are all pluralized as team names should generally be.

Three of them also have actual ties to the state that aren't massive stretches; Atlanta's name and color scheme tie to Georgia's state bird, the Tampa Bay area is the "Lightning Capital of North America" due to the frequent thunderstorms in the area, and "Blue Jackets" is in reference to Ohio's history in the Civil War.

"Kraken" is not only singular, it's a stupid attempt to cash in on a dead meme with very, very faint ties to the region if you reaaaaaally squint and it flows awfully. I seriously hope it isn't actually the name they're going with, because it's just a terrible name all around.

Easily prefer Sharks, Panthers, Predators, Thrashers, Blue Jackets, and Golden Knights.  (Not to mention Coyotes).

I still think "Wild" is the worst non-racist name in big-time sports.  Kraken is better...by default.

Might Ducks?  I hated the whimsy of "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim."  I think Seattle Kraken is a better name...but, at these that's been corrected.

After 20 years, I guess we've been desensitized to "Minnesota Wild." But to this day, I hate it. It hangs like a cloud over the franchise (though you can't always see it because the cloud of perpetual mediocrity is more prevalent).  

I'll be honest...I had to google "Release the Kraken."  Never saw the movie it was from.  Don't really remember seeing memes alot. But, one of the links had this doo-doozy: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Release the kraken

So if it is in fact a name that pretty much comes from a well-remembered movie line, then I guess this most closely resembles Raptors riding the wave of Jurassic Park.  That's why I didn't like the Raptors name. I still don't love it, but it's serviceable.  

Evergreens would have been so, so much better. Disappointed. But not surprised.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

3 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Again, "Kraken" sounds like a RHI team. I'm pretty sure that's not the kind of association you'd want your NHL franchise to have. 😛

Disagree.

I still want !Salsa! to join the NHL. (Don't know how to do an upside down exclamation mark for the first one) 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

5 minutes ago, KJTALBOT said:

It seems like people are ready to hate any name choice. 

Just wait for the full package including logos and uniforms. 

The Minnesota Wild came out with a great logo/uniform package.  The name was still terrible.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Kraken is awful, and I feel a lot of the people pulling for it on social media are not even from Seattle (except Mayor Durkan, but she’s the personification of Seattle’s Tesla-driving rich people who refuse to pay taxes to help the poor).

Since we’re resurrecting old memes, folks, just go ahead and name Leeroy Jenkins Head Coach and the Budweiser frogs as mascots. 

The Seattle Kraken: “WHAAZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPP”

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

11 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Living in Seattle for over 30 years, Sockeyes is a perfect name as it is well known and well thought of throughout the region. A local name that fits. We aren't Norway and that connection to Seattle’s Ballard neighborhood died 10+ years ago. 

No argument from me. It was already said that Kraken and Totems(my #1 choice) were already eliminated from the list and now it's rumoured that the top 5 choices are Sockeyes, Emeralds, Rainiers, Sea Lions and Cougars have made the final 5. 

13 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

I'm at the point where I really don't care unless it's Sockeyes and includes something like this @sparky chewbarky logo.

zZcMdso.png

That’s so good I would buy a hat even if it’s not an officially sanctioned logo

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

2 hours ago, Maroon said:

I like Kraken rum if that counts for anything.

Me too 😜...

I've always liked the "Krāken" name and what it conjures up.

I think there are 4 directions that this franchise could take re: its identity.

- Indigenous (Sockeye, Totems, Thunderbirds (if that name was made available))

- Rustic/Outdoors-y with a plaid as a colour 🙂 (Evergreens, Sawbucks, Sasquatch, Rainiers)

- Nautical (SeaLions, Pilots, Krāken)

- Other ( no theme actually...just name, colours) ( Mets, Cougars, Eagles)

"Other" would almost be a disappointment to me, as the first three themes could all be so dynamic.

I like the nautical option and the wealth of images, icons, music, etc., that could be incorporated into merchandise, mascot, promotions, fan participation...

If "Krāken", I'd focus less on the monster and more on what the name suggests (Kinda like the NY Giants).

I agree with @ColeJ ...It would have to be done properly, but if done so, it could be unique, fun, fantastic.

2 minutes ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Me too 😜...

I've always liked the "Krāken" name and what it conjures up.

I think there's 4 directions this franchise could take re: its identity.

- Indigenous (Sockeye, Totems, Thunderbirds (if that name was made available))

- Rustic/Outdoors-y with a plaid as a colour 🙂 (Evergreens, Sawbucks, Sasquatch, Rainiers)

- Nautical (SeaLions, Pilots, Krāken)

- Other ( no theme actually...just name, colours) ( Mets, Cougars, Eagles)

"Other" would almost be a disappointment to me, as the first three themes could all be so dynamic.

I like the nautical option and the wealth of images, icons, music, etc., that could be incorporated into merchandise, promotions, fan participation...

If "Krāken", I'd focus less on the monster and more on what the name suggests (Kinda like the NY Giants).

I agree with @ColeJ ...It would have to be done properly, but if done so, it could be unique, fun, fantastic.

There isn't really anything inherently 'Indigenous' about Sockeye. Yes, salmon played an important role in traditional PNW Native society, but you could make that argument for Evergreens, Sealions, Cougars, etc.

1 minute ago, Chromatic said:

There isn't really anything inherently 'Indigenous' about Sockeye. Yes, salmon played an important role in traditional PNW Native society, but you could make that argument for Evergreens, Sealions, Cougars, etc.

You're right, C...( except that "Sockeyes" is the english form of the indigenous word(s) Suk-kegh, meaning red-fish).

I should have said, that if it was "Sockeyes", I think that they'd have an indigenous style to it.

Archived