Seattle NHL Brand Discussion

Toronto206

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

I agree with everything except the Metros part. It sounds extremely awkward and dated and doesn’t really fit a city that prides itself on being outdoorsy. Not to mention we need to stop with new franchises leaping as the return of teams from a century ago *cough* Ottawa *cough*.

I agree to a point, but I have a soft spot for the Metropolitans/Metros name. They were the first American-based team to win the Stanley Cup, and I think that means something special. If nothing else I'd like to see the team hang a Stanley Cup Champions banner for them...provided they don't put the team's new logo on it...Ottawa.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but how sure are we that Kraken is the name?

Some Twitter account Russian Machine Never Breaks reports from a guy from MayorsManor.com on SiriusXM NHL.

Because of that I wont believe this until Seatlle NHL says its true.  Kraken is a terrible name.

Kraken sucks as a name for a team in the Pacific Northwest.  It's a mythical sea beast from Scandinavian folklore that allegedly lived in the North Atlantic.

This would be the equivalent of a new team in Miami calling themselves the Narwhals.  (yes I realize those are real) 

If only the Pacific Northwest had their own mythical beast lurking in the area...hmmmmmmm

41 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Kraken sucks as a name for a team in the Pacific Northwest.  It's a mythical sea beast from Scandinavian folklore that allegedly lived in the North Atlantic.

This would be the equivalent of a new team in Miami calling themselves the Narwhals.  (yes I realize those are real) 

If only the Pacific Northwest had their own mythical beast lurking in the area...hmmmmmmm

Beyond all that, it just sounds lame as a big league team name. 

sig.png

It sounds like a goddamn Six Flags roller coaster ride.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

57 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

Sockeye Salmon?!

For me the name will be a direct reflection on the team's owners values and if they are prepared to be successful in the NHL.

Kraken would tell me the owners are people looking to make a quick buck, be trendy, with no real care of the long term outlook for the team.

Sockeyes would tell me the owners are in touch with the region, confident in their abilities, and in it for the long haul. 

Not that I have any insight into clinical psychology, but I have designed for clients for over 25 years and see this struggle play out often in board rooms. 

11 hours ago, IceCap said:

See, that plays into it. They downplayed the dinosaur aspect so much with the new logo and the "We the North" campaign that people here were thinking they had done that, or could. The claw marks could be talon marks, etc... The mascot remained a dinosaur, they continued to sell dinosaur throwback merch, the fan gatherings were called "Jurassic Parks," and people were still going "you know they could make it mean 'bird of prey' and it would still work."

There was even talk at one point, not sure how serious it ever got, of using Drake's owl logo for the team.

st,small,215x235-pad,210x230,f8f8f8.jpg

2 hours ago, BrianLion said:

Kraken sucks as a name. The fact that its in the Pacific Northwest is irrelevant. Especially considering its mythical. 

If NHLSeattle were to be so foolish by giving the club a name that is not only bushleague but fan divisive, that would ruin Seattle's long awaited arrival of NHL hockey. There are team names, logos and colour schemes that can grow on fans and then there are others that fans would either love or hate. Kraken falls into the latter category. It would mean lots of angry bickering among the club's fans and sports fans, especially on social media and here on these message boards, prompting moderators to end future discussions about Seattle's NHL team and that wouldn't be good.

That's why it's always best to go with a team name with a rich local/state flavour, comes of the tongue smoothly, sounds compatible with other longtime traditional NHL team names and has a distinctive but simple crest and colour scheme.

3 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Some Twitter account Russian Machine Never Breaks reports from a guy from MayorsManor.com on SiriusXM NHL.

Because of that I wont believe this until Seatlle NHL says its true.  Kraken is a terrible name.

In Soviet Russia, Uniform leaks you.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think I wrote this earlier in the thread. The Kraken is a great name. The Detroit Red Wings are playing the Seattle Kraken this Saturday. The Kraken beat the Wings 4 - 3. 

Some minor league baseball team names are bad. Such as the Toledo Mud Hens beat the Binghamton Rumble Ponies. That is a mouthful. Or the now defunct New Orleans Baby Cakes. Do you want to go watch the Baby Cakes after work on Friday. Let's take the kids to a Baby Cakes game. Brutal. The new Wichita Wing Surge may have that problem.

In short, the KRAKEN is a great name that has tons of possibilities to build a great identity.

Everyone loves a roundel.

8 minutes ago, KJTALBOT said:

I think I wrote this earlier in the thread. The Kraken is a great name. The Detroit Red Wings are playing the Seattle Kraken this Saturday. The Kraken beat the Wings 4 - 3. 

I've already addressed that;

On 1/30/2020 at 8:15 AM, Ridleylash said:

"Kraken VS Red Wings", "Kraken VS Maple Leafs", "Kraken VS Blue Jackets", "Kraken VS Hurricanes", "Kraken VS Sharks"...yeah, not a fan of it at all.

The thing that the Wild and Avalanche have that helps them is that they start soft; "wuh-ild" and "ah-vuh-lanche". It's much easier to say "The Minnesota Wild are in town to face the Toronto Maple Leafs" or "The Colorado Avalanche are hosting the Philadelphia Flyers" because they don't start harshly.

Kraken, however, starts hard, "Krak-en". "Wild VS Hurricanes" or "Avalanche VS Red Wings" doesn't sound like ass because "Wild"/"Avalanche" are both softer names that flow better against other teams, and "Kraken" doesn't. "The Toronto Maple Leafs are hosting the Seattle Kraken" or "The Seattle Kraken are in town to face the New York Rangers" sounds weird, to me.

I mean, the name sounding right out of Roller Hockey International doesn't help, either. 😛

"Sockeyes" simply flows easier against every other name in the league because it doesn't start hard; "sock-eyes". "Sockeyes VS Hurricanes", "Sockeyes VS Maple Leafs", "Sockeyes VS Sharks", "Sockeyes VS Blue Jackets", "Sockeyes VS Wild", "Sockeyes VS Avalanche", etc. Those all flow really well together. "Kraken" would flow awfully either way.

"The Seattle Sockeyes are in town to face the Detroit Red Wings" and "The New York Rangers are hosting the Seattle Sockeyes" flows really nicely. Same with the reverse; "The Toronto Maple Leafs are in town to face the Seattle Sockeyes" and "The Seattle Sockeyes are hosting the Tampa Bay Lightning".

"OMG Kraken sux!"

This is the same league that graced us with "Vegas," "Blue Jackets," "Wild," and "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim." 

We'll get through this (if it's even a thing).

VmWIn6B.png

Archived