XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

Whoops, sorry! 😬

Then to keep the discussion to the XFL, it is going to be interesting to see what the ramifications of the best players from an incomplete season leaving the league look like, especially since every player was on a one year contract anyhow. All of a sudden the best talent is going to be gone, and teams that could have been competing for a championship may look entirely different with no playoff appearance or title run to show for it. For all we know next season the Roughnecks could be miserable and the Vipers could be dominant, which already sounds weird and off putting to me.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Maroon said:

Whoops, sorry! 😬

Then to keep the discussion to the XFL, it is going to be interesting to see what the ramifications of the best players from an incomplete season leaving the league look like, especially since every player was on a one year contract anyhow. All of a sudden the best talent is going to be gone, and teams that could have been competing for a championship may look entirely different with no playoff appearance or title run to show for it. For all we know next season the Roughnecks could be miserable and the Vipers could be dominant, which already sounds weird and off putting to me.

But the fact that those guys were available for the XFL in the first place is a sign that they're out there, and some will be found and play in the XFL next year.  Whether it's guys that get cut from NFL rosters this year, guys that didn't get drafted, or guys that are already in the XFL and step up, I don't see any reason to believe that the overall talent level will decrease.

They're really in no different position going into next year as they were going into this one.

The impact would be to fans that grew attached to their team and its players, and are essentially rooting for a whole different set of guys next year.  That's just the nature of minor-league sports though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

But the fact that those guys were available for the XFL in the first place is a sign that they're out there, and some will be found and play in the XFL next year.  Whether it's guys that get cut from NFL rosters this year, guys that didn't get drafted, or guys that are already in the XFL and step up, I don't see any reason to believe that the overall talent level will decrease.

They're really in no different position going into next year as they were going into this one.

The impact would be to fans that grew attached to their team and its players, and are essentially rooting for a whole different set of guys next year.  That's just the nature of minor-league sports though.

But I'm not talking about the overall talent of the league. Yes, I'm sure that will remain similar. But because (1) the two teams with the best QBs lost those QBs, and (2) every player is a free agent, those that were performing the best (Roughnecks, BattleHawks, off and on Defenders) now won't have the continuity to continue being the best teams in the league. What I'm saying is that we have no idea what any of these teams could look like, and a team like Houston could turn around and go from first to worst without anything to really show for their first season.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

15 minutes ago, Maroon said:

But I'm not talking about the overall talent of the league. Yes, I'm sure that will remain similar. But because (1) the two teams with the best QBs lost those QBs, and (2) every player is a free agent, those that were performing the best (Roughnecks, BattleHawks, off and on Defenders) now won't have the continuity to continue being the best teams in the league. What I'm saying is that we have no idea what any of these teams could look like, and a team like Houston could turn around and go from first to worst without anything to really show for their first season.

True, but like I said, that's no different than a great AA team that loses it's best players to the AAA or MLB club and then sucks.  It's just one of the things you have to accept if you're going to invest yourself emotionally in a minor-league franchise.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

True, but like I said, that's no different than a great AA team that loses it's best players to the AAA or MLB club and then sucks.  It's just one of the things you have to accept if you're going to invest yourself emotionally in a minor-league franchise.

Right again. It was inevitably going to happen at the end of the season regardless - but it's a bizarre thing that it's happening before any team in the league even had a chance to win a league championship. I'm not saying it's unfair, or wrong, or anything other than that it's bizarre and unfortunate for a brand new league that's relying on building an entirely new connection with its cities and fans. An AA team that loses all its players still has the legitimacy that comes from being attached to a major league club. An XFL team that loses all its players can go from sensation to a dud and lose all that momentum, and that's going to hurt how it is perceived in cities that haven't managed to build the emotional connection with their XFL team quite yet.

MZnWkGU.png

Right now, I am of the opinion that the XFL returns in 2021 playing a full season, post season and championship game.  However, I am also of the opinion that if the XFL doesn't return in 2021, it will never return.  To me, what determines the latter is what happens to the NFL season.  If the NFL goes on as planned or it's delayed a month, there will be an XFL season, even if it's delayed until March.  If the NFL cancels the season due to Covid-19, the XFL will never return.  

They're already overlapping MLB season a little bit at the end, so (provided venues are available) a delay of even a month shouldn't kill them.  I was really curious to see if/how MLB impacted the XFL postseason, but there doesn't seem to me like much of a difference between a 2 week overlap and a 6 week one.

It's practically a lock that NFL will be at best delayed.  If I'm VKM, I'm having people working on the contingency / continuity plan right now.  I'm assuming they already are.

On 3/24/2020 at 5:30 PM, heavybass said:

Walker and Ta'amu are going to get chances in the NFL... at least that's what the half season of XFL has proven.

If they were to get cut by the NFL teams do those XFL teams still keep those players rights or do they become XFL "free agents"

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad. I actually rather enjoyed this version and watched up until the last game. You hope they try again when we're able to congregate again, but you never know. 

It's wild that the last two spring minor leagues, for different reasons, have not been able to get through their first season. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Ah, that stinks. They were doing a much better job with the league this time around, and something outside of the control of sports killed it entirely. Big businesses, especially those in fields like service and entertainment, are facing a reality that their offerings are going to have to be pared down to what is "core" or "essential" to come out of this on the other side, I think. The XFL may be the first sports entity to perish because of COVID-19, but I strongly doubt it will be the last.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

16 minutes ago, Sport said:

Too bad. I actually rather enjoyed this version and watched up until the last game. You hope they try again when we're able to congregate again, but you never know. 

It's wild that the last two spring minor leagues, for different reasons, have not been able to get through their first season. 

This is the first time in my life that I'm glad I'm not working in sports right now.

I don't think I watched more than ten minutes of XFL action, but I feel terrible for the employees.

As risky as working going to work the XFL was, you would assume they would at least be able to make it through at least one season. Now they're out of a job with few if any other employment options through no fault of their own. That sucks.

Archived