College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

It's never a good look when three fonts play in the same logomark...

• Like 8

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 1/6/2021 at 2:50 PM, tBBP said:

It's never a good look when three fonts play in the same logomark...

My thoughts exactly.  New logo is good...those retro-ish wordmarks are awful and don't fit at all with that logo. 

• Like 2

I give them credit for updating that tiger the way they did; that HAD to happen. But the new font they added (which looks like a hackjob of Demonized, itself a hackjob of Berthold City) just looks SO out of place. (If they chose to use that on its own, it probably could come across cleaner.)

Having lived in Nashville for almost five years, and having spent enough time at that campus and amongst its students and alumni, some of whom I still know, I believe I understand the attachment to the legacy TSU mark (and for the record, no one in town calls it "Tennessee State", its "TSU"). That said, the "Athletics" font, or something based on Handel, would've fit far better. Either way, pick one or the other, I say.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Citadel Bulldogs Seek Input For Reinvigorating Athletic Brand

February 9, 2021 - 17:56 PM

The Citadel Bulldogs are inviting the local community to share input on new branding that will include a consistent color palette, logos, typography and uniforms across their athletic programs. “We want our athletic branding to reflect thoughts, observations and spirit of every segment of The Citadel community – cadets, students,

Read More...

For starters, they should standardize if their uniforms will include the full name, "The Citadel," or just say "Citadel." I lean going with "The Citadel" as that is the name of the school and I would be guessing that their alumni wouldn't be in favor of messing with their establish brand, as nonconventional as it may be.

• Like 5

We all want all of our sports uniforms to say The Citadel. Merchandise and everything else included as well. Its a very sore topic among both fans and alumni. Many folks including myself refuse to buy merchandise if it doesn't have The on it. 

The first thing they should do is utilize "Citadel Blue" much more. There has been a huge over use of navy for years now. I'm not saying completely kill it off, because we need both, but keep it on a much lesser level. 

Our branding needs serious help. For years, our motto has jokingly been "The Citadel... a tradition of change since 1842!" To prove my point, the football helmet pictured isn't even current. It was last worn in 2017 before they eliminated all of the navy completely from that. That helmet was a beauty.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

"The Citadel Bulldog will be distinctive to our college and reflect the ethos of our teams and their fans.”

There are over 50 colleges with the team name Bulldogs, plus countless high school teams.  How do they expect to be distinctive???  If they REALLY wanted to be distinctive, choose a unique team name that represents THEM.

And I'm all for keeping light blue and dumping navy.

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

7 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

"The Citadel Bulldog will be distinctive to our college and reflect the ethos of our teams and their fans.”

There are over 50 colleges with the team name Bulldogs, plus countless high school teams.  How do they expect to be distinctive???  If they REALLY wanted to be distinctive, choose a unique team name that represents THEM.

And I'm all for keeping light blue and dumping navy.

They’ve been the bulldogs for 115 years. There is no chance of them ever changing it.

• Like 5

What's the difference between The Citadel, VMI, et al, and the actual academies?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

58 minutes ago, BBTV said:

What's the difference between The Citadel, VMI, et al, and the actual academies?  

They are essentially schools with just bigger ROTC programs. They aren’t contracted to serve when they enter unless they get the ROTC scholarship. Also they don’t have to enter active duty service but can choose reserve option unlike the Academies that must go active for a period. Nor do they need congressional nominations to even apply. 

• Like 3