NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Wouldn’t these need TV numbers or does that not apply with throwbacks?

They can leave TV numbers off the throwbacks.  Chicago Bears throwbacks from last year did not have TV numbers.

spacer.png

which implies that it's not necessary at all.  

They should drop the requirement since it's clearly not an issue.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

@hockey week would like a word with you guys about TV numbers (at least, how they work in hockey):

Depends on how arenas are going with press-box height. 

Remember, those sleeve numbers serve a purpose: they're typically the first and most-often used identifier of the players for the broadcast team. Players don't have their backs to the broadcast booth often enough to be the standard. Therefore, those sleeve numbers are absolutely vital. I've announced games with teams that don't have them, and it's hell. Absolutely awful games to call. 

The shoulders work if you're up high enough. Otherwise, they're a lot less helpful than sleeve numbers. I know that I've never been placed up high enough for that to work for me, but I couldn't tell you at NHL rinks.

I assume that similar logic applies for football uniforms.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

which implies that it's not necessary at all.  

They should drop the requirement since it's clearly not an issue.

I disagree. I sit in Row 53 (really - never knew that - shaddup) at Lambeau. That is 7 rows from the top of the original bowl, and well below the TV and radio booths. I use TV numbers frequently at the game and totally find them useful and necessary.

It's where I sit.

As a photographer, I find them useful for identification purposes. While I know what everyone looks like on the team I cover and could easily identify them by their faces or general build, I can't say the same about random players on the other team. And while the front and back numbers will be enough in most circumstances, there are times that the tv numbers help (when there's a scrum, it's a side shot of the player or random appendages are in the way). As for when I'm in the press box before the games, it's almost impossible to read the tv numbers (Ohio State's press box is pretty high) unless you use binoculars. So while they may not be a big deal or be helpful in some situations, they are in others.

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

@hockey week would like a word with you guys about TV numbers (at least, how they work in hockey):

I assume that similar logic applies for football uniforms.

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I disagree. I sit in Row 53 (really - never knew that - shaddup) at Lambeau. That is 7 rows from the top of the original bowl, and well below the TV and radio booths. I use TV numbers frequently at the game and totally find them useful and necessary.

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

As a photographer, I find them useful for identification purposes. While I know what everyone looks like on the team I cover and could easily identify them by their faces or general build, I can't say the same about random players on the other team. And while the front and back numbers will be enough in most circumstances, there are times that the tv numbers help (when there's a scrum, it's a side shot of the player or random appendages are in the way). As for when I'm in the press box before the games, it's almost impossible to read the tv numbers (Ohio State's press box is pretty high) unless you use binoculars. So while they may not be a big deal or be helpful in some situations, they are in others.

I'm not saying that I necessarily think they're unnecessary, but if the NFL or their spottors or broadcasters did find them to be important, then they'd be required on all jerseys.  NFL games are very highly-produced shows, and they wouldn't make "exceptions" for something that they felt was important enough to make a rule for.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, duxrcool048 said:

Here is a swap from Swapscenter on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/swapscenter/

spacer.png\\

If this is the uniform (with the jersey from the other post), I will be EXTREMELY happy as a Bears fan. Very cool, retro yet unique design that gives the traditional but stale Bears jersey some life. I would almost argue that they should switch to something like this full time.

I'm always intrigued when people say something looks "college-y," "high school-ish," or "minor league" because a good-looking uniform is still a good-looking uniform, even if it strays from what we typically see in the highest league(s).

15 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

I'm always intrigued when people say something looks "college-y," "high school-ish," or "minor league" because a good-looking uniform is still a good-looking uniform, even if it strays from what we typically see in the highest league(s).

It's not that college, high school, or the minor leagues can't have good looks, but they all have distinct visual identities compared to one another. My high school's primary home look is purple helmet, black jersey, white pants. The jersey has purple sleeve caps, and italicized numbers. You look at it and think "yeah, that's a HS uniform". Same thing with Texas, Ohio State, or USC - even more out-there looks like most Oregon uniforms "look like" they belong in college football. 

ExJworW.png

I just think about teams like Baylor and the like who forego TV numbers without any real benefit. Plus, when I was a kid in the 80s, a lot of college teams didn't have TV numbers while pro teams did. It seemed like a luxury.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Good luck identifying players in this one from a few years ago:

5b86c3a83718e.image.jpg?resize=400,412

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Lack of TV numbers looks pretty college-y  (to be more accurate, collegiate) IMO. 

The Bengals were the last NFL team to leave TV numbers off the jerseys in 1979. In 1980 they put them on the sleeve; and then in 1981 got their first "Tiger Stripe" outfit.

On 5/28/2019 at 10:31 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

Both these dolphins look incredibly unsafe.  We don't let our kids ride bikes without helmets, how can we let these poor animals just leap across the sun with their skulls so exposed and vulnerable?  It's a damn crime, is what it is... put a helmet on that lovable mammal, you uncaring bastards. 

Here’s a couple mashups I did a while back.  Neither really excited me enough to post them on a board but since we’re asking for helmets on Dolphins I figured..what the heck why not.

1. The logo on the left combines elements from the 80’s logo, late 90s/00s logo and the current logo.  The sun is obviously the updated sun.  I then took the body of the Johnson era update and made it a little more narrow.  I also applied the original logo’s body markings but kept the key elements of the face from the Johnson logo.  The Johnson-Era logo had a body tilt that was slightly flatter than the original.  I tilted it back so that the body position was more upright (less of a slouch).  I can’t remember which aqua I used.  I want to say I used the current aqua. 
  2. The logo on the right does the exact same thing except instead of using the original logo’s body markings I took the Johnson-era logo’s markings and simplified them significantly.  Removed a ton of the navy and white accents

You could easily make these “inside the sun” too.  But the symmetrically of having the head outside the sun is more modern.  Even though I put these together I think they’re really flawed.  I’m not a fan of mashups.  In fact 99% of fan concepts aren’t anything I would want a team to actually use.  I love seeing them online which is part of why I read this board.  If it were up to me I’d have the team use the throwbacks full time but I understand why that isn’t going to happen.  I still feel like they could take the new logo and use it on things like corporate letterhead, stadium specific signage/branding, team related events, etc. Basically everything except for the field of play.  Then use the throwback stuff as football game specific branding.  The team could still sell merchandise with both logos on it.  

79415965-0A54-435E-86BB-6C9AF552D8FA.png

18 hours ago, duxrcool048 said:

Here is a swap from Swapscenter on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/swapscenter/

spacer.png

The socks may be wrong on this image.  The original had blue and orange striped socks . . . and I really hope this version does too.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Leak: Chicago Bears Centennial Throwback Uniform

June 3, 2019 - 21:13 PM

Is it possible for the Chicago Bears to look better than they already do? According to a series of photos Tweeted over the weekend, the Bears are introducing a new throwback look in 2019 that’ll blow their current set out […]

Read More...

Archived