NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

The “bad“ news: Spurs will have a camo City jersey this year.

The good news: They’ve announced this will be the last year of camo City unis. 

https://www.nba.com/spurs/spurs-and-usaa-celebrate-nations-veterans-during-november-9-military-salute-night-game

To thank those who have served and continue to serve, and to celebrate the team’s final year wearing camo-themed Nike City Edition Jerseys,

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

https://www.nba.com/amp/spurs/spurs-and-usaa-celebrate-nations-veterans-during-november-9-military-salute-night-game?__twitter_impression=true

giphy.gif

How come they can wear the SAME city design for like 5 years?!! When everyone else has the 1 year rule?

It's only cause those camo unis suck ass (no disrespect to the military).

shado_logo.gif

54 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

https://www.nba.com/amp/spurs/spurs-and-usaa-celebrate-nations-veterans-during-november-9-military-salute-night-game?__twitter_impression=true

as a Padres fan...BARF. get these damn uniforms off the court.

7 hours ago, BigDmo said:

From a fan perspective/jersey fanatic, I think it's great that I could see more of a variety of uniforms on any given game I attend, especially when it's a team I've seen before. Same with home teams wearing away colors at home, unless you travel, you likely would never see your team in that color. 

That being said, some of these uniform matchups are grossly mismanaged and do look WRONG. 

But you’re only seeing ‘more variety’ from your home team essentially. It’s all a false sense of choice and variety. You may think your getting to see more, but are you truly?

Reds, blues, yellows, greens, and purples are rare in home arenas where those teams don’t use those colors. 

I used to attend spurs games and would love to see what the away team was wearing. That’s where you saw your variety. Now your home team is being this so called variety.  But they’re masking the 10-15 times a green or blue team is now wearing black or white. 

I’m with others here. Go all in with color vs color. 

The Knicks wore navy blue statement or city jerseys last year. All at home. I believe most of those were navy vs white. They neglected the fans opportunity to see the away teams color jerseys. So like others are saying, go all out and never look back. 

Knicks fans were treated to Celtics wearing black, bulls in black, and Kings in white. But hey they got to see the Knicks in blue at home! Awesome variety!

looking at the Knicks alone, they will see blue, white, and black more than anything else. Home fans have the illusion of 5-6 jersey sets and variety. But reality is, we’re seeing less visually striking matchups than ever before. Watching on tv is fine. But those season ticket holders, yeah. You’re not getting the variety you think you’re getting. 

2 hours ago, MattMill said:

But you’re only seeing ‘more variety’ from your home team essentially. It’s all a false sense of choice and variety. You may think your getting to see more, but are you truly?

Reds, blues, yellows, greens, and purples are rare in home arenas where those teams don’t use those colors. 

I used to attend spurs games and would love to see what the away team was wearing. That’s where you saw your variety. Now your home team is being this so called variety.  But they’re masking the 10-15 times a green or blue team is now wearing black or white. 

I’m with others here. Go all in with color vs color. 

The Knicks wore navy blue statement or city jerseys last year. All at home. I believe most of those were navy vs white. They neglected the fans opportunity to see the away teams color jerseys. So like others are saying, go all out and never look back. 

Knicks fans were treated to Celtics wearing black, bulls in black, and Kings in white. But hey they got to see the Knicks in blue at home! Awesome variety!

looking at the Knicks alone, they will see blue, white, and black more than anything else. Home fans have the illusion of 5-6 jersey sets and variety. But reality is, we’re seeing less visually striking matchups than ever before. Watching on tv is fine. But those season ticket holders, yeah. You’re not getting the variety you think you’re getting. 

It’s going to suck for Brooklyn with all that white black and gray they’ll see all 41x.. they really need to go color on color there for sure (unless it’s Spurs)

1 hour ago, d11king said:

It’s going to suck for Brooklyn with all that white black and gray they’ll see all 41x.. they really need to go color on color there for sure (unless it’s Spurs)

Silver vs gray would make for a close second to my all time favorite color clash game...ny_g_anthony_1296x729.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:47 AM, mgfoxx said:

Silver vs gray would make for a close second to my all time favorite color clash game...ny_g_anthony_1296x729.jpg

It still baffles me that this color matchup was even allowed. And it actually makes me wonder if the Hawks were at fault here. It's not like teams wearing alternates for select home games was unheard of at the time. Generally, the road team would wear white in this scenario. The Hawks also would've had the option of wearing their primary blues for contrast, so I think there may have been some miscommunication.

^That's one beautiful orange uni the Knicks had right there.

I've explained this a couple times on here before, but I'll say it again, since it's relevant:
The logic and reason for wearing white at home, as I see it, and as makes the most sense to me, is that the home crowd is familiar with the home team colors, AND the colors are displayed on the court - whereas the visitor team is representing its identity by wearing a colored uniform. On top of that, if the visitors will always wear white, which, by looking at the games' highlights, has unfortunately become the norm, the home crowd won't be seeing any other colors apart from its home team's, as has already been mentioned.

I can understand Nike's mercantile motives of showcasing team's different unis to the home crowd, but as MattMill said, there wasn't such a problem in the days of Jordan. Neither do I like color on color, since to me it's overkill, but I'd rather go that way, if you have to make the home team wear color occasionally.

The "showcase different uniforms to the home fans" thing never made any sense to me, not since the maximum-merchandising era came about well after the radio era.

That said, in the days of home/away/alternate, it always seemed odd that an alternate jersey, which feels like it's meant to be a special thing, would be worn primarily or exclusively on the road, but alternates are almost always a color jersey. So I don't know what makes the most sense.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I’m not aging myself too much but around 2000, we had your sixers blue alternate, twolves blue, kings purple, pacers yellow, and a few others. These were worn 80% or more on the road , and I don’t think there were many complaints from home fans. Just prior to that was MJ and the black pinstripes, and earlier, your hornets purple. There are a few cases of color at home but it may not even cross over single digits. 

Color is in. Color sells. Maybe it’ll trend elsewhere in a year or two. But every new throwback, it seems they go with the color/away color first. And they want to show it off to home fans first and foremost. I’m sure they’ve done a study where they find color jerseys outsell their white counterparts 3:1. 

Even your Mitchell & ness throwbacks. Most are going for the crazy colors that set them apart. How many statements or city uniforms are white? 5 of 32 city were white last year. I think it all stems to trying to cater to entitled fans. 

yet I think it’s totally strange that united center bulls fans won’t see any greens, purples, or maroons all year long. 2-3 times each of blue and yellow. And the rest is literally red, black, and white. I guess that’s what makes the sales

26 minutes ago, MattMill said:

I’m sure they’ve done a study where they find color jerseys outsell their white counterparts 3:1

I wouldn't doubt that at all, since I've always found the color "away" jerseys cooler than the whites myself.

1 hour ago, MattMill said:

I’m not aging myself too much but around 2000, we had your sixers blue alternate, twolves blue, kings purple, pacers yellow, and a few others. These were worn 80% or more on the road , and I don’t think there were many complaints from home fans. Just prior to that was MJ and the black pinstripes, and earlier, your hornets purple. There are a few cases of color at home but it may not even cross over single digits. 

When 3rd uniforms were introduced for the 1994-95 season they were worn almost exclusively on the road. The only time I recall a team wearing a coloured alternate uni at home was in 1994, when the Hornets had special dispensation from the league to debut the purple alts at home vs. Orlando (who wore their white home unis).

Interestingly, the Hornets had done this once before - for the final home game of their inaugural season they wore their teal road unis against the Bucks, who wore white. 

22 minutes ago, Discogod said:

When 3rd uniforms were introduced for the 1994-95 season they were worn almost exclusively on the road. The only time I recall a team wearing a coloured alternate uni at home was in 1994, when the Hornets had special dispensation from the league to debut the purple alts at home vs. Orlando (who wore their white home unis).

Interestingly, the Hornets had done this once before - for the final home game of their inaugural season they wore their teal road unis against the Bucks, who wore white. 

Yeah, it seemed like a number of teams who introduced alternates from 1994 to probably 2010-ish ... they would introduce and play in them at home first. I remember the Jazz doing that in 1999 against the Bulls, etc. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

The Clippers and Blazers will both be wearing their ‘70’s throwbacks tonight in LA:

spacer.png

spacer.png

All three matchups between these teams this season will feature this uniform matchup (twice in LA, once in Portland), and it should look absolutely fantastic. These uniforms were never worn against each other back in the day, as these Braves uniforms only existed from ‘71-‘73, and these Blazers uniforms were only worn from ‘75-‘77, but it’ll still be really nice to see an era-appropriate throwback matchup featuring two incredibly distinctive looks from two franchises that joined the league together in 1970. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The Clippers and Blazers will both be wearing their ‘70’s throwbacks tonight in LA:

spacer.png

spacer.png

All three matchups between these teams this season will feature this uniform matchup (twice in LA, once in Portland), and it should look absolutely fantastic. These uniforms were never worn against each other back in the day, as these Braves uniforms only existed from ‘71-‘73, and these Blazers uniforms were only worn from ‘75-‘77, but it’ll still be really nice to see an era-appropriate throwback matchup featuring two incredibly distinctive looks from two franchises that joined the league together in 1970. 

really thinking if teams come out with throwbacks, it’d be nice to have a throwback court to go with it as well so it doesn’t look too weird. The Blazers wearing these on their 50th court was sooo dope. 

And we gotta have a conversation about this new Clippers court at some point. I thought it was going to be limited?

51 minutes ago, d11king said:

And we gotta have a conversation about this new Clippers court at some point. I thought it was going to be limited?

Limited in how? The core court is the main court, but the City Court just replaced the midcourt logo with the Los Angeles script from the City Jerseys .

But, I agree, it'd been awesome to have a throwback court with those Braves' jerseys.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 hours ago, Discogod said:

When 3rd uniforms were introduced for the 1994-95 season they were worn almost exclusively on the road.

Not to pick any nits, but this seems a good a time as any to remind everyone of the time the Jazz broke out their mothballed green uniforms at home on St. Patrick's Day against the Pistons during Karl Malone's rookie season ('85-'86). This was the only time that he ever actually wore the green unis.6507346465_a545d26848_o.jpg.142027c194ca

Additionally, were the Hawks the first team to don an alternate uniform in the NBA? This topic has always fascinated me.DxC966SUcAAzvxS?format=jpg&name=medium

3 hours ago, upperV03 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is ground zero of where my issue with the current jerseys lies. Three games. Two different venues. And the same exact jerseys? That comes off as lazy to me. Why can’t we just see a home and road set of an alternate/throwback identity and call it a day. Have a different light/dark set. 

A orange braves and white blazers would look equally awesome. 

but I’m sure we’ll see those two next year. It’s all about longevity and getting jerseys sold over time. You can’t sell two braves sets in a year and make sales quotas. So it is what it is. Same with speeding out the hornets aqua/white/purple set. All in one year is too much by NBA standards. But they’ll push it out to 3-4 years. 

just thinking out loud. With other leagues, when’s the last time a nfl or hockey team wore the same exact jerseys home and away vs the same team. I’m sure it’s been done. Cowboys in white at home and white on the road vs the same team? I’m probably over thinking it. 

Archived