NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

2 hours ago, kimball said:

Limited in how? The core court is the main court, but the City Court just replaced the midcourt logo with the Los Angeles script from the City Jerseys .

But, I agree, it'd been awesome to have a throwback court with those Braves' jerseys.

oh man, that’s a travesty. I thought this black court was going to be the court for when they wear their city uniforms, and they would go back to the normal blue & red when not wearing those. Now it just looks horrible when they wear their regular uniforms and nothing matches, you know? 

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, d11king said:

oh man, that’s a travesty. I thought this black court was going to be the court for when they wear their city uniforms, and they would go back to the normal blue & red when not wearing those. Now it just looks horrible when they wear their regular uniforms and nothing matches, you know? 

Agreed. It's super dark and looks like it should be in Brooklyn.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, MattMill said:

This is ground zero of where my issue with the current jerseys lies. Three games. Two different venues. And the same exact jerseys? That comes off as lazy to me. Why can’t we just see a home and road set of an alternate/throwback identity and call it a day. Have a different light/dark set. 

A orange braves and white blazers would look equally awesome. 

but I’m sure we’ll see those two next year. It’s all about longevity and getting jerseys sold over time. You can’t sell two braves sets in a year and make sales quotas. So it is what it is. Same with speeding out the hornets aqua/white/purple set. All in one year is too much by NBA standards. But they’ll push it out to 3-4 years. 

just thinking out loud. With other leagues, when’s the last time a nfl or hockey team wore the same exact jerseys home and away vs the same team. I’m sure it’s been done. Cowboys in white at home and white on the road vs the same team? I’m probably over thinking it. 

It would never happen because that would just be too many jerseys, but it wouldve been nice to see one city vs. city matchup.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

10 hours ago, mgfoxx said:

Not to pick any nits, but this seems a good a time as any to remind everyone of the time the Jazz broke out their mothballed green uniforms at home on St. Patrick's Day against the Pistons during Karl Malone's rookie season ('85-'86). This was the only time that he ever actually wore the green unis.6507346465_a545d26848_o.jpg.142027c194ca

Additionally, were the Hawks the first team to don an alternate uniform in the NBA? This topic has always fascinated me.DxC966SUcAAzvxS?format=jpg&name=medium

I'm pretty sure that I was the first person to post about the Jazz wearing those unis, many many years ago (the pic you posted was one of a few screen grabs I made from that game and sent into Uni Watch)!

Regarding the Hawks, they wore both blue and green unis interchangeably on the road from 1970-72, so I guess they'd have been considered the first true alternate unis. There had been teams that had worn multiple road unis in a season, but that was more a case of wearing one set for half a season, then switching to a new set (similar to how the Pittsburgh Penguins changed from blue to black & gold unis in midseason 1980).

There's one more team that wore alternate unis prior to 1994 - from 1983-84 the San Diego Clippers wore both red and blue road uniforms roughly an equal number of times. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Satomiblood said:

I loved that orange set, but was disappointed that they didn't use it as long as I would've liked.

They were EXTRA terrible in them. That one season they went to the playoffs, but if I could remember everytime they played in them they lost

9 minutes ago, andregunts said:

They were EXTRA terrible in them. That one season they went to the playoffs, but if I could remember everytime they played in them they lost

Nah. They started wearing them during the 2013-14 season, the year after they last made the playoffs. But yes, they weren't great in terms of on-court success. At least they looked good while losing.

45 minutes ago, andregunts said:

I know. So? It's not as if the uniforms affected their game. The orange unis should've stayed.

4 hours ago, Discogod said:

I'm pretty sure that I was the first person to post about the Jazz wearing those unis, many many years ago (the pic you posted was one of a few screen grabs I made from that game and sent into Uni Watch)!

Yeah, I sent in a couple screengrabs as well. This wasn't the only time the Jazz wore green at home in the 80s.

Granted, this was their primary at the time, but they wore their green jerseys (on St. Patrick's Day) against the Lakers who were in purple.

Here's video from the game >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In4VziOMgf0

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

4 hours ago, Discogod said:

6 minutes ago, kimball said:

Yeah, I sent in a couple screengrabs as well. This wasn't the only time the Jazz wore green at home in the 80s.

Amazing finds! I love the idea of the Jazz being one of the first franchises to experiment with color at home and color vs color. Interesting tidbit about the Clippers too! I never realized they had a red version of that particular uniform. 

Regarding the screengrabs being sent in to Uni Watch, I totally remember seeing them on there! I had just purchased a green Karl Malone Adidas soul swingman jersey, and I remember that somebody had called me out for wearing it saying that Karl never wore it (the Jazz started using purple again in 1985 when Malone was drafted). Anyways I used my newfound information to put that fairweather Jazz fan in their place. spacer.png

Fun memories. It's hard for me to believe that I've been visiting that blog daily for nearly ten years. 

15 hours ago, MattMill said:

but I’m sure we’ll see those two next year.

That might be the case with the Blazers, but the Clippers don't wear throwbacks very often unless it's for a special occasion. The orange Braves throwbacks from 2005-06 were celebrating the franchise's 35th season, the LA Stars throwbacks were part of an ABA history event, and the white Braves throwbacks for this season are celebrating the franchise's 50th season. The only time I can recall them wearing a throwback just for the sake of it was when they wore the old San Diego Clippers unis back in 2003-04.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

5 hours ago, truepg said:

It's not as if the uniforms affected their game. 

It boggles my mind how people think this.  The Heat had some bad games wearing the white vice unis and fans made a big deal how they were "cursed".  Even the media got in on it!  I did a game by game analysis of those months and they were not much better wearing the other uniforms.  

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

17 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

It boggles my mind how people think this.  The Heat had some bad games wearing the white vice unis and fans made a big deal how they were "cursed".  Even the media got in on it!  I did a game by game analysis of those months and they were not much better wearing the other uniforms.  

And it's a professional league we're talking about here.

1 hour ago, truepg said:

And it's a professional league we're talking about here.

Cursed or not, Knicks stopped wearing their orange alternates during Carmelo years; on the other hand, Cavs started wearing black for the Finals, and Washington Nationals wore their dark Jersey throughout the playoffs.

3 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

It's sports.  Athletes are superstitious and by extension, so are their fans.  

spacer.png

I was not a fan of the purple jersey when it was announced, especially with the purple socks and accessories, but this is a much better look. AD’s look is perfect, especially with the white socks. Think it looks a lot better on the road..

Ps: I’ve been talking about white on the road being an annoying look at times, but I realize because of the Lakers colors (specifically) teams would need to wear white since those colors won’t look good together. 😔

1 hour ago, d11king said:

spacer.png

I was not a fan of the purple jersey when it was announced, especially with the purple socks and accessories, but this is a much better look. AD’s look is perfect, especially with the white socks. Think it looks a lot better on the road..

Ps: I’ve been talking about white on the road being an annoying look at times, but I realize because of the Lakers colors (specifically) teams would need to wear white since the colors won’t contrast.. 😔

Also AD's black undershirt is helping complete the look a lot here...

Though the black is very untraditional for the lakers I think the black accessories really compliment that sleek purple and black look which emphasizes the gold and white stripes. Though I personally would have preferred purple or black socks to keep the all dark look

IMG-7122.gif

I also would like to give kudos to the wizards for changing their arena light because it’s made their court look 10x better than it was last year with that ultra bright lighting. Also removing the wordmark on the sides and replacing it with capital one strangely looks great too. Heck the lighting even made their jerseys look good. I’ve never been a fan of their jerseys and court until now. 
old:

EBE38-E1-B-96-DA-4743-95-C2-89-EC9106-DC
new:

34-F6574-C-8-EBD-4382-BBF2-B14-F23275-B8 

IMG-7122.gif

Archived