MLB Changes 2020

kimball

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The Braves actually inherited their cap logo from the Brewers, who were wearing versions of it since the 1930s.  The navy-and-red cap with white M, later associated with the Braves, was first worn by the Brewers in 1948.

When Bud first announced his plans for a new Brewers, when he the first pinstriped prototypes made in 1969, the cap logo was always the same.

Fair enough, I did know about the AA Brewers precedent because I do follow your Borchert Field blog (Fantastic blog everyone, check it out).  When I said Braves M, that M was implied too, but I didn't word it like that.

14 minutes ago, NicDB said:

The historical precedent for Milwaukee wearing a block M is comparable to Michigan.

That is an incredible stretch given that one school has had virtually the same Michigan M for a century and a half, while 3 different teams over 70 years in the same area had a block M that has evolved over its time so much so that you can identify the specific team by the type of M.  But yes, like most baseball teams that's been around for a while, Milwaukee has a block letter.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, packerfan21396 said:

Fair enough, I did know about the AA Brewers precedent because I do follow your Borchert Field blog (Fantastic blog everyone, check it out).  When I said Braves M, that M was implied too, but I didn't word it like that.

That is an incredible stretch given that one school has had virtually the same Michigan M for a century and a half, while 3 different teams over 70 years in the same area had a block M that has evolved over its time so much so that you can identify the specific team by the type of M.  But yes, like most baseball teams that's been around for a while, Milwaukee has a block letter.

You really think Michigan's M didn't evolve over time too... especially in the first half of the 20th century?

Frankly, the fact that multiple teams adopted the Block M is a testament for its ubiquity as part of Milwaukee's baseball brand.  Either way, it dates back to at least 1913 and was consistently part of baseball in Milwaukee all the way up until 1993.  That's 80 years... not exactly nothing.

29 minutes ago, NicDB said:

You really think Michigan's M didn't evolve over time too... especially in the first half of the 20th century?

1891_Michigan_Wolverines_football_team.j

1910_Michigan_football_team.jpg

d28fce185ebb96ea5ece6c158ea78b12.jpg

1215272e-d5ef-4c94-b169-a2f573a7615a-blo

current

Yes.  It has always been a wide slab serif M.

As opposed to:

1905_MilwaukeeBrewersCap_Ebbets.jpg

1926_MilwaukeeBrewers_teamphoto.jpg

1952_MilwaukeeBrewers_LoganDittmer.jpg

spahn_gi-768x992.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Stretched out and condensed, sans serif and serif, consistent line width and skinny V portion; each era had a style.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

You actually just proved my point.  Michigan's M has had plenty of variations in width, thickness, and serif length over the years; which are all noticeable in the photos you posted.

I get that you're a Barley M loyalist, but even now, a Block M in some form has been part of baseball in Milwaukee for more years than it hasn't.  And as much as I appreciate your dedication, the goofy M that accompanies the barley just isn't salvageable.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

You actually just proved my point.  Michigan's M has had plenty of variations in width, thickness, and serif length over the years; which are all noticeable in the photos you posted.

How? Michigan's M never changed shape... Milwaukee's M has at least 3 distinct styles.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Can we like the Germanic M, specifically the road version?

Absolutely, I love the Germanic set, both the Motre Bame and the M.  Huge fan of Todd Radom's work.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

1 hour ago, Beer Barrel Man said:

Besides the fact that the block M has clearly been demonstrated to have far more history with Milwaukee baseball clubs, it's also a far better and simpler design. As has been said thousands of times, the Fauxsive barley M is just too busy and overdesigned. 

Simple doesn't necessarily mean better though. I would take a lot of those updated Barley-M logos in retro colors over any other cap logo the Brewers have had. 

....i mean the current cap is already better than anything they’ve worn before, Braves, or Brewers. And much better than a Block M. But I’ll just stick to what I said above

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

7 hours ago, Proc said:

My guess is we'll see the Brewers go to just navy and yellow for all looks and lose the glittery gold.

Although I think you’re right about the metallic gold, I would be utterly shocked if the Brewers drop the royal blue throwbacks.  Not going to happen.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Although I think you’re right about the metallic gold, I would be utterly shocked if the Brewers drop the royal blue throwbacks.  Not going to happen.

That reminds me, can the Mariners finally drop those ugly fauxbacks?

16323781606_f502176438_o.jpg

I'd rather they do a direct Pilots homage (with a similar hat), just wear the Pilots' uniforms, create a PCL Rainiers-inspired set, or make a buttonfront/belted pants version of the '77-'80 uniforms. The double outlines and Friz Quadrata don't make for a very appealing throwback (don't get me started on the bad compass rose bevels). 

On 10/1/2019 at 12:12 AM, BellaSpurs said:

Simple doesn't necessarily mean better though. I would take a lot of those updated Barley-M logos in retro colors over any other cap logo the Brewers have had. 

No, not necessarily. But simple does usually mean a look with more long-term staying power.

Besides, if the block M was good enough for Hank Aaron, it ought to be good enough for literally every other player who suits up in a uniform that reads "Brewers" or "Milwaukee."

....i mean the current cap is already better than anything they’ve worn before, Braves, or Brewers. And much better than a Block M. But I’ll just stick to what I said above

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Because I do, strongly.

This take is:

CompassionateAgedBubblefish-small.gif

The BiG is the quintessential Brewers logo and it's not just because it's the most beloved just strictly logo arguably in the entire state, forget just in the Brewers identity. But also because it's just a great, simple, perfect logo. I'm not from the 80's era but it doesn't scream 80's to me at all. Every single time the Brewers wear the new Navy/Athletic gold BiG, it looks far superior. It is used on basically all official team graphics as well so I think that being the primary is a done deal, it's just a matter of when. 

I agree with what was said a few posts up in the fact that the Crew will never get rid of the throwbacks as just that, throwbacks. 1) the revenue stream is insane and 2) It's perfect as is with the royal blue, but I don't believe those would work as primaries. The Navy/Athletic gold is a much sharper and current look than the Royal look. I also hope because of that that they never go to pinstripes on the main set, just keep them with the throwbacks. 

It's my dream scenario to have the Navy BiG as the main logo with a recolonized Navy/Athletic Gold Barrel Man as the sleeve patch

Archived