MLB Changes 2020

kimball

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, MattMill said:

Slippery slope but do you guys live amongst native Americans? I happen to. Many wear wahoo and Redskins gear. I get more 'nice hat' from native Americans than anyone else while wearing wahoo. It's always the white dudes I know who say 'that's racist'. Odd generalizations. But it works both ways. 

Well, there is this American Psychological Association study, which says that Little Red Sambo and the Washington NFL club negatively impact the mental health of marginalized peoples. Here's a basic summary from the article.

Research has shown that the continued use of American Indian mascots, symbols, images and personalities has a negative effect on not only American Indian students but all students by: 

• Undermining the educational experiences of members of all communities-especially those who have had little or no contact with indigenous peoples. The symbols, images and mascots teach non-Indian children that it's acceptable to participate in culturally abusive behavior and perpetuate inaccurate misconceptions about American Indian culture.
  • Establishes an unwelcome and often times hostile learning environment for American Indian students that affirms negative images/stereotypes that are promoted in mainstream society.

According to Stephanie Fryberg, PhD, University of Arizona, this appears to have a negative impact on the self-esteem of American Indian children, "American Indian mascots are harmful not only because they are often negative, but because they remind American Indians of the limited ways in which others see them. This in turn restricts the number of ways American Indians can see themselves."

• Undermines the ability of American Indian Nations to portray accurate and respectful images of their culture, spirituality and traditions. Many American Indians report that they find today's typical portrayal of American Indian culture disrespectful and offensive to their spiritual beliefs.
  • Presents stereotypical images of American Indians. Such mascots are a contemporary example of prejudice by the dominant culture against racial and ethnic minority groups.
  • Is a form of discrimination against American Indian Nations that can lead to negative relations between groups.

That's kind of damning, I'd say. Anyway, enough of this topic.

On 10/9/2019 at 5:21 PM, daveindc said:

Looks like they've already decided on Nashville Stars as the name, in honor of the Negro League team:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2019/08/28/nashville-stars-mlb-expansion-team-tennessee-dave-stewart/2133502001/

I posted this in the MLB expansion thread as well:

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/113047-portland-and-other-mlb-expansion-name-possibilities/page/20/#comments

Atlanta, St. Louis, and Cincinnati would never let this happen

On 10/9/2019 at 7:56 PM, QueenCitySwarm said:

And Charlotte beats both by miles.

Charlotte has less territorial issues to deal with as well. Atlanta and DC are the for Charlotte. Where Nashville would have territorial issues with Atlanta, St. Louis, and Cincinnati.  

On 10/10/2019 at 10:54 PM, dont care said:

Would Seattle, giants and possible A’s be happy about Portland?

Oakland/SF to Portland is 600+ miles
Seattle to Portland is 175 miles

St. Louis to Nashville is 300 miles
Atlanta to Nashville is 250 miles
Cincinnati to Nashville is 275 mile 

Very different scenarios

16 hours ago, selgy said:

Oakland/SF to Portland is 600+ miles
Seattle to Portland is 175 miles

St. Louis to Nashville is 300 miles
Atlanta to Nashville is 250 miles
Cincinnati to Nashville is 275 mile 

Very different scenarios

And remember, it's not just as the crow files.  We're talking about the folks in between.  The Cards have a strong fan base in Memphis/West Tennessee.  The Reds pull from Louisville/Lexington and middle and eastern Kentucky.  The Braves are the "Team of the South" and have devoted fans in pretty much all of their neighboring states.   But alas, I suppose we will have to wait and see. 

On 10/11/2019 at 5:35 PM, BigEd76 said:

Reading back through this whole topic, it appears the only updates we have for 2020 are:

-- All uniforms getting the Nike swoosh

-- Padres brown/yellow rebrand (covered in a separate topic)

-- possibly a "White Sox" script alternate

-- Dodgers All-Star patch

-- possibly a Twins "60 years in Minnesota" patch

Anything else yet?

The Reds' MLB beat writer speculates the Reds may have a new alt in 2020, possibly based on one of their throwbacks.  Link here (note: you'll have to scroll past some pipe dreams about acquiring Mookie Betts): https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/reds-inbox-fans-ask-mookie-betts-power-hitters.

Excerpt:

There has been no word of a uniform overhaul coming for the Reds next season. Most of the time, there is about a year of lead time for such things, and I’ve heard nothing about it behind the scenes. After the 15 throwback uniforms were such a hit while celebrating the Reds’ 150th anniversary season, I could envision possibly one or two of those uniforms becoming an alternate look.

2 hours ago, Beeperino said:

And remember, it's not just as the crow files.  We're talking about the folks in between.  The Cards have a strong fan base in Memphis/West Tennessee.  The Reds pull from Louisville/Lexington and middle and eastern Kentucky.  The Braves are the "Team of the South" and have devoted fans in pretty much all of their neighboring states.   But alas, I suppose we will have to wait and see. 

It's only the Braves who have a somewhat plausible claim on Nashville... somewhat being the operative word.

But we've seen with the Brewers and Astros switching leagues and being closer to rival cities that it actually helps baseball to have teams closer together. Not spread out.

FWIW, a local Marlins beat reporter says the team is aware of the feedback regarding the visibility issues of the black on black jerseys but he hasn't heard anything about them giving in to any changes just yet.

I doubt any changes happen in 2020 but, contrary to popular opinion, this new ownership has been more open to fan feedback than the previous knuckleheads so maybe if there's enough feedback on this then a tweak does eventually happen.

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

FWIW, a local Marlins beat reporter says the team is aware of the feedback regarding the visibility issues of the black on black jerseys but he hasn't heard anything about them giving in to any changes just yet.

Now is the perfect time with a new provider.  They're getting new unis anyway.  And wear the blue jerseys during the season!

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

I can't imagine the Marlins making any significant changes for 2020, but it wouldn't surprise me if they drastically overhaul the black alternate for 2021. Eventually either MLB or the team will give in (I do believe they are more amenable to fan feedback than Loria was). It'd be nice if they wear the black jersey much less than 43 games, though. I could see that happening.

I'd also be surprised if the blue jersey enters the regular season rotation in 2020. I know it gets much more love than the rest of the set does, but it looks way too much like a practice jersey as is. It is a very nice vibrant shade of blue (and that's presumably why people prefer it), but it's not ready for regular season games until they add some piping and replace the cap insignia on the breast with a Marlins wordmark. Frankly they are wasting a perfectly good color with their the barren design work. It reminds me more of a cool dri workout shirt than a baseball jersey.

Wearing the blue jerseys is another big feedback that the fans have given them and, if they've heard the feedback on the black jersey, then I'm sure they've heard the feedback on the blue jersey so I'd imagine it eventually happens BUT I would think they'd actually wait until they make a new blue alternate with a wordmark first. The blue jersey gets a lot of love for it's color but it's clearly intended to be a practice/spring training jersey in its current form so I feel like they'll make more of an in-game version first.

8 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

It'd be nice if they wear the black jersey much less than 43 games, though.

Ever since Jeter came along they only wear black jerseys on Fridays and Saturdays, with a few exceptions along the way. This is a major upgrade from the Loria years where their black jersey was possible almost every game and was usually worn on the road more than the road grays were. 

As long as they continue to have a set schedule on when to wear the black jerseys I'm happy with that as at least it regulates it to a degree.

On 10/12/2019 at 10:22 PM, Marlins93 said:

I've seen that 73-77 Indians cap on the shelves of several Lids stores (outside of Cleveland) since they ditched Wahoo.

That's the logo used for throwback stuff now since wahoo stuff can only be sold in NE Ohio and the Reds heavily curtail the Indians' ability to use the wishbone C (mostly allowed for 1933-72 game cap replicas)

I don't like it when teams wear alternates more than average, but the Nationals' navy ones are arguably better than the rest of their uniforms.

I wish there was a white version of them. Make those the homes and it would match perfectly with the roads.

I fully expect to see the "Nationals" script on their primary home jersey fairly soon. I have no inside information, this is just pure speculation on my part, but they've been slowly bringing it into the spotlight. 

In 2017 they introduced their current BP/practice jersey, the first time the script appeared on an on-field jersey:

40838200405_9cdcffbf16_b.jpg

Then in 2018 they introduced the navy alternate, first time the script appeared on a jersey that was used during a game.

SJYPJKXO44I6TO362IBG5YGBTE.jpg

And obviously the prior mentioned ST jersey, which they totally could've seen as a prototype kinda thing.

Archived