Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

10 hours ago, Dilbert said:

The Sharks should have been out a long time ago but the NHL keeps handing them gimmies. They got past Vegas and Colorado on blown calls and its continuing into the St Louis series. Its a clear fix by the NHL because they are so embarased that the top teams were eliminated in the first round that they didnt want low seeded teams playing for the cup. Carolina just imploded with Boston but each San Jose series has been a clear cheat by the NHL. Its disgusting.

When did I say it was cheating, get your spectacles on, you aint seeing right. 

9 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I call BS like I see it and if you dont agree with it thats okay. You are entitled to your wrong opinion.

What a great summary encapsulating the beauty of online message boards. "It's fine if you disagree with me because you're wrong."

They are far more deserving to go to the cup than San Jose. San Jose deserves a trip to the cup again but this year is not that year.

Sure, it'd be nice if every franchise got a Cup at least once every 30 years, but unfortunately that's not how this works. Life's a bitch and so forth. Need more proof? No matter who moves on from this series, they'll likely lose to a Boston team that is blazing right now. So all of this does nothing more than fuel the "chokers and cheaters" narrative.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like the Knights didn't have to give up 4 goals on the 5 minute major, the Blues didn't have to give the tying goal with the empty net. The Sharks tied the game with 50ish seconds left after a Blues player missed a shot from center ice (and that's 25 minutes after the missed delay of game call). If you let it get to overtime where ANYTHING can happen (like, say, a missed hand pass that leads to a goal) you're responsible for being in that dangerous position where anything can happen. 

of course they should get the call right and it's absurd that play isn't reviewable, but I don't feel like they got as hosed as the internet is shouting. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

My dream scenario is for Boston to win tonight and then get swept in the finals, which would mean the Penguins got swept by a team that got swept by a team that got swept by a team that got swept, which is way more embarrassing than just missing the playoffs, somehow. They should probably blow up the entire roster. Take 5 or 10 years off. Hell, go Full-Pirates and disappear for like 23 years. It'd be good for everybody. 

The most wooden of all spoons!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes really.

What exactly constitutes "downhill?" I see where Admiral is coming from when he made his post, and while I don't agree, he at least explained it beyond blind rage. You're a Jackets fan, shouldn't you be celebrating how the post-lockout period has been relatively successful for you guys?

Im not even gonna waste my breathe talking to you on this one.

Look at everybody who is pointing out how the Blues totally got a gimmie as well, one that they briefly turned into a late lead. It's universally-bad officiating, not "NHL is rigged in the Sharks' favor and their successes are illegitimate and evil." That's laughable.

One of the greats. Deserves the cup but not this year. Earn it like everyone else.

Oh, he's "earned" it. Get out of here with your SabresRule-tier, conspiritarded crap. Whine on HFBoards, r/NHL, or some other place with a downvote button.

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I was going to say But the Blues tied the game when they should've been on the penalty kill for the missed delay of game call, but there was a lot of shouting happening. 

It sucks it ended that way because it was otherwise one of the best games in the playoffs. Too bad one of these teams has to lose to Boston. 

Having not watched the game, I had no idea.  

When we're going to play the "bad call decided the game" game we should probably examine more than just the last call.  I think there's a similar scenario (though I forgot how it exactly played out) in the infamous Ohio State National Championship win vs. Miami.  Bad call in OT kept OSU alive and they won. But I think Miami had a drive kept alive in regulation on a bad call...i.e., the game should never have been in OT; OSU should have won in regulation.  

It's frustrating how we focus on one call when you don't really know who'd have won a "correctly-called" game.  Maybe the Sharks vs. Vegas is an exception, given the size of the lead, the nature of hockey, and the 5-minute major.  But for the most part, you have to be very careful (barring one-sided games, like a couple of Steelers Super Bowls from the previous decade) blaming calls.

That said, if you can review someone being an inch off side several seconds before the goal, there's no reason you cannot review whether one of the assists on the goal was via a handpass.  In the football (college, anyway) all TDs are reviewed.  All goals should be reviewed in hockey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

of course they should get the call right and it's absurd that play isn't reviewable, but I don't feel like they got as hosed as the internet is shouting. 

They didn't, but the hockey internet loves to latch onto something and never let it go, plus I think everyone's in a bit of a state right now because the Hurricanes, America's Team for people who retweet @dril, are in the midst of embarrassing themselves. Did you see Justin Williams leads the league in adjusted being-a-dumbass/60?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

Having not watched the game, I had no idea.  

When we're going to play the "bad call decided the game" game we should probably examine more than just the last call.  I think there's a similar scenario (though I forgot how it exactly played out) in the infamous Ohio State National Championship win vs. Miami.  Bad call in OT kept OSU alive and they won. But I think Miami had a drive kept alive in regulation on a bad call...i.e., the game should never have been in OT; OSU should have won in regulation.  

It's frustrating how we focus on one call when you don't really know who'd have won a "correctly-called" game.  Maybe the Sharks vs. Vegas is an exception, given the size of the lead, the nature of hockey, and the 5-minute major.  But for the most part, you have to be very careful (barring one-sided games, like a couple of Steelers Super Bowls from the previous decade) blaming calls.

That said, if you can review someone being an inch off side several seconds before the goal, there's no reason you cannot review whether one of the assists on the goal was via a handpass.  In the football (college, anyway) all TDs are reviewed.  All goals should be reviewed in hockey.

You're correct. There was a bad no-call in the 02 NCG that Miami should've been flagged for before the infamous call in overtime that went against Miami. I'm pretty sure the play was a third down, late, and the DB held the wide receiver from the line of scrimmage through the pass being thrown his way. OSU had to punt, Miami came down the field and kicked the tying field goal which sent it to overtime. If that's called correctly as holding or pass interference then OSU keeps the ball with the extra yards and a first down, kills the clock, likely wins in regulation. People love to forget that, including The U Part II. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 hours ago, Dilbert said:

The Sharks should have been out a long time ago but the NHL keeps handing them gimmies. They got past Vegas and Colorado on blown calls and its continuing into the St Louis series. Its a clear fix by the NHL because they are so embarased that the top teams were eliminated in the first round that they didnt want low seeded teams playing for the cup. Carolina just imploded with Boston but each San Jose series has been a clear cheat by the NHL. Its disgusting.

There is no fix, there is no conspiracy; the NHL's refs are just incredibly stupid, like they've always been.

34 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:

There is no fix, there is no conspiracy; the NHL's refs are just incredibly stupid, like they've always been.

There’s no conspiracy, but there most certainly can be a fix... Hire refs that know what their doing. And most certainly review OT winners. Really every goal in the playoffs should be reviewed quickly by Toronto to get the all clear. Sure regular season, same things happens, who cares. But when there’s a lot on the line, it helps to have a backup for the reffing crew on the ice. They should know what their doing, but as we can see, (especially this year,) that’s not always the case

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Just now, who do you think said:

Why would there be a fix in favor of the Sharks over the Blues?

"Dude, you gonna watch the Stanley Cup Finals? The Sharks are playing!", said literally no one outside of the San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara MSA.

I always thought SJ was a bigger market than St. Louis. 

Which is usually the reason NHL seems to skew it towards certain teams. 

Just now, AustinFomBoston said:

Which would explain why Chicago was terrible for all eternity and the Rangers are usually pointless.

7 minutes ago, AustinFomBoston said:

"muh media markets!"

There's a killer "if a tree falls in the forest..." joke to be made here about big market teams and hardly anyone in said market giving a crap about them, but I'm too lazy to find it and put it together.

1 hour ago, who do you think said:

"muh media markets!"

There's a killer "if a tree falls in the forest..." joke to be made here about big market teams and hardly anyone in said market giving a crap about them, but I'm too lazy to find it and put it together.

My point is the NFL probably makes more $$$ in markets like SJ than in St Louis, which at the end of the day is the only thing they give a damn about. 

How was that hand pass not called? Any competent ref would of caught it... maybe it was because it was in the heat of the moment or whatever. The thing is now it's done and over with. St. Louis needs to move on and prepare for Game 4. 

The last thing they want is to be down 3-1 heading back to San Jose knowing that the Sharks would be dead set on delivering the knock out blow in front of their home crowd.

Archived