Teams that ignore their 90s identity

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

The periwinkle Anaheim Angels, pinstripes and all.

Which is unfortunate because that was so many worlds better than their current look.

Anaheim Angels (1997 - 1999)

I'm still trying to find a 59/50 of this guy that will actually fit my weird alien head properly.

The Islanders paid homage to the Fisherman uniforms with a warmup jersey in 2015... 
new-york-islanders-fisherman-header.jpg

...And starting this past November they've actually begun selling replicas at their team stores. Personally I think they should bring it back for a game, but just as an annual April Fools' Day one-off, à la the Devils' St. Patrick's Day throwbacks. I think a team wearing their all-time worst uniform (and one of the worst period) as a joke on that day would be kind of fun. :P

9 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Which is unfortunate because that was so many worlds better than their current look.

I'm still trying to find a 59/50 of this guy that will actually fit my weird alien head properly.

Oh, you have a weird alien head too?

On 6/25/2019 at 8:30 PM, ~Bear said:

80s nostalgia is high right now. In about 5-10 years, I'm sure you'll start to see more 90s throwbacks. It hasn't been that long since the 90s, so just give it some time and then teams will start rolling them out. 

'80s nostalgia has been in for like 20 years at this point. I swear, Gen Xers are the new Boomers.

53Ocz8U.png

On 6/26/2019 at 9:13 PM, Ark said:

56412980_original.jpg?1296513885

Maybe not in this scrutinizing community, but it's worth noting that the black-heavy Sixers actually had 3 iterations of uniforms when the gold-heavy logo was the primary.

Version 1 - narrower shoulders, wordmark outlined in red.

mar-1999-allen-iverson-of-the-philadelph

Version 3 - Neck trim changed, shoulder trim removed, piping.

andre-miller-of-the-philadelphia-76ers-m

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

On 6/27/2019 at 12:39 AM, Chromatic said:

What size? Ive got a 7-1/4 thats too tight for me

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

9 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

Maybe not in this scrutinizing community, but it's worth noting that the black-heavy Sixers actually had 3 iterations of uniforms when the gold-heavy logo was the primary.

Something is goofy with your pics.  Here's other images (from NBA Jersey Database):

NOTE - they got the shoulders wrong on the V2 - they should be much wider.

tumblr_ot7tt6bX3G1wulfg9o2_r1_1280.png tumblr_ot7tt6bX3G1wulfg9o4_r2_1280.png

tumblr_ot7tt6bX3G1wulfg9o5_r1_1280.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/25/2019 at 6:53 PM, Ice_Cap said:

The Pistons have no reason to reference the teal years. Though I did see teal Grant Hill throwbacks on sale in Tampa. If they're selling them in Tampa they're probably selling them in Detroit.

The Pistons' teal look falls into the category of 90s unis that didn't really leave that much of an impact. Remember, not every 80s, 70s, 60s, etc... uniform gets featured as a throwback. Only the ones that represented noteworthy teams or were otherwise memorable looks. The Raptors made a statement with their 90s look that stuck with people. It didn't age well, and the team was right to drop it. Still, it's remembered fondly. Compare that with the Pistons' teal, which was a huge departure from the traditional look. And represented some awful basketball between two championship eras where the team wore their traditional colours.

In that context? It's not hard to see why one look has nostalgic value and gets an on-court throwback while the other doesn't.

Adidas before the switch and now mitchell and ness did a big run of hardwood classics with the 90s designs, including the real horse hill jersey. The foot action and other urban footwear/ clothes shops out here in sac still carry them.

The Dodgers have never worn their short-lived 1999 alternates since. Although their blue spring training jerseys are kind of similar, I guess. Frankly the '99 alternates weren't terrible with a few small tweaks.

The Kings have never brought back their Burger King jerseys as far as I know, not even as a one-off joke. (I don't follow hockey as closely as baseball so if I'm wrong please correct me).

3 hours ago, Quillz said:

The Dodgers have never worn their short-lived 1999 alternates since. Although their blue spring training jerseys are kind of similar, I guess. Frankly the '99 alternates weren't terrible with a few small tweaks.

The Kings have never brought back their Burger King jerseys as far as I know, not even as a one-off joke. (I don't follow hockey as closely as baseball so if I'm wrong please correct me).

Fans HATED those jerseys. They were supposed to be for Think Blue Week, but they’re best remembered for Chan Ho Park’s kick. Ironically, the matching cap continued to be listed as an alternate cap, even though they wore it on the field for less than a year.

As for the Burger King jerseys, the Ontario Reign did don them in a game.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 6/28/2019 at 11:14 PM, Ark said:

The St. Louis Blues (they ignore red in general, unfortunately).

W7Lcnzc.jpg

I really made this post though because of this. 

18j4tzg1jx4j4jpg.jpg

Please wear this for a game.

We fans don't speak of that blasphemous use of the color associated with beginning the collapse of the franchise.

st__louis_aces_player_sig___tom_davis_by_verasthebrujah-d9w1l6u.jpg

On 6/25/2019 at 8:58 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Speaking from experience, the Bucks' purple period is well-represented in Milwaukee with plenty of retro gear. It's probably the second most popular set behind the current look and just in front of the later Irish Rainbow. It helps that the last period of relevance for the Bucks prior to the current one was the purple/green/silver/black squad led by Ray Allen. 

It's a shame that there really haven't been any '80s triple green irish rainbow retro jerseys available.

16 hours ago, Quillz said:

Yeah. It’s close to being a good alt. If you remove all the Silver, wear the normal cap, and use White Piping.

Original from the Mothership:

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

I've noticed that the Carolina Panthers seem to have completely memoryholed their original logo and Hulkamania wordmark, at least in terms of merchandising. Until recently, they didn't have a page on the Mitchell & Ness online store, and the "retro" section of their Fanatics store just features their current identity stylized onto vintagesque t-shirt designs.

Archived