MLB 2019 Changes

It seems like the newest generation of MLB managers (players whose prime was in the 2000s) doesn't wear the team uniform in games. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Dave Roberts.

I don't like it. There's no reason to stop the tradition of MLB managers wearing team uniforms, and I just think the uniform look is better.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

but if they did go with a vice look they be laughed at for copying them.  this is like their version of the vice look, just needs more color.

It's not like the Heat didn't take inspiration from a very obvious cultural phenomenon that existed before either franchise was around. Remember, the Golden Girls predated Miami Vice. And that was most people's image of Miami before Miami Vice made Miami a "cool" city. It makes sense to have several teams play homage to it.

2 hours ago, Ark said:

It seems like the newest generation of MLB managers (players whose prime was in the 2000s) doesn't wear the team uniform in games. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is Dave Roberts.

I don't like it. There's no reason to stop the tradition of MLB managers wearing team uniforms, and I just think the uniform look is better.

Managers wearing full uniforms always looked goofy to me. I'm honestly glad the practice is dying. 

7 hours ago, Ark said:

Theres every reason to end the tradition. Old non-athletes look ridiculous in full uniform, and numbers as if they’re players!  I should never have seen Charlie Manuel in a tight uniform. If you’re not on the field during actual action time then there’s no need for a uniform. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, Digby said:

Semi on-topic question:

Do any managers still wear the regular uniform top? Feels like every manager I see is wearing a hoodie or one of those other BP top-ish things. But never the regular jersey.

I don't have moral feelings on this issue, just a curious observation.

Thing that bothers me has nothing to do with wearing the uniforms or not - I tend to agree with BBTV that non/ex-players wearing full uniform looks silly - but some managers just have terrible fashion sense.

This (below) isn't an uncommon thing for Aaron Boone to wear, and it just looks incredibly sloppy, and someone like Alex Cora does the non-uniform thing, like a lot of things come to think of it, much better.

spacer.png 

spacer.png

One of those guys looks put together and professional, while the other one, frankly, doesn't. 

spacer.png

Right, at least most of the times I've noticed this season, I've seen guys wearing either the Cora look or these new numbered getups a la Woodward. Noticed recently that Tampa Bay's Kevin Cash had the numbered thing but it didn't have a hood. Honestly I thought it looked nice! Not silly like a uniform, not impractical and dated like a Connie Mack suit, not corny like a polo shirt. 

That said, I cannot abide by Aaron Boone's too casual "Belichick on holiday" outfit there. Looks like he went gameday shopping at the TJMaxx across the street.

I'm always surprised that the manager-in-uniform thing held on so long, but I guess that's baseball for you. If memory serves, it was Terry Francona during his Red Sox tenure (or maybe his Phillies tenure?) that had to get special dispensation to wear a team fleece due to a medical condition. And then that opened the floodgates.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I’ll toss my two cents in on this. I like the fact that managers wear uniforms. It’s traditional, it’s a throwback. It’s just how it’s done in baseball and that’s good enough for me. As long as the managers are wearing baseball pants, I think they need to be wearing jerseys and ball caps, not stocking caps, Joe Madden. Dugout jackets when it’s cool are fine, at least it has a put-together, professional look. I think the pullover/hoodie or BP top thing or whatever it is over baseball pants looks sloppy and half dressed. I don’t like it. It’s unprofessional. If managers insist on getting away from wearing uniforms altogether, I’d like to see them dress like the team’s athletic trainer: slacks (you know, the moisture wicking ones you’d play golf in), polo and a baseball cap. These guys aren’t wearing hats but you get the idea.

spacer.png

That’s professional looking and casual enough to be comfortable. If managers continue to ditch their jerseys, I’d like to see that instead of the BP/hanging around the clubhouse look.

3 hours ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

Chris Woodward never wears a jersey, except for promotional pics. Doesn’t look too bad/unprofessional though.spacer.png

This may be unpopular, but I think this is actually a really nice happy medium between a uniform top and causal team wear. Even though it’s indeed a casual-type zip up hoodie, it still has a uniformity to it with the solid team color, logo, and number that overall looks more professional and cohesive to a uniform than does Boone’s check-out-what-I-got-at-WalMart looking thing. 

I tend to lean more towards tradition as far as manager uniforms go, but I’m also okay with (limited) options for something else if a manager wants. In fairness, tradition has been bucked long before - Connie Mack wore a suit and tie - so I suppose a manager wearing a team-issued zip up hoodie will look more cohesive to a team’s uniform than that ever did.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

A manager does not have to have a player's build in order to look dignified in a uniform.

Image result for ralph houk   Image result for dick williams a's   Image result for joe mccarthy yankees

This is a tradition that is worth keeping.

At least Buck Showalter, who was the first manager who did not wear the jersey, had the good sense and the decorum to wear a jacket and not flaunt being out of uniform. By contrast, the goofy fashion tops seen in posts above this are totally inappropriate, even worse than a warmup would be.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

It's antiquated and other than "that's just the way it's been", there's absolutely no justification for it.

Why the hell should a 60-year-old man put on baseball pants and stirrups just to trot out to the mound two or three times a game?  Why does he need a uniform number?  It looks like they're just playing dress up.  Seriously - is there really a need for Tommy and Charlie to have stretchy-performance gear on for them to do their jobs?  Why should they be forced to wear the least flattering outfit possible?  Let them have some personality.  There's a thousand ways to look "professional" and "sporty" at the same time (note that I don't consider any of the pullover examples above to be very "professional".)

LDN-L-MCCARTHY-LASORDA-0414-1.jpg?w=524Getty-Tommy-Lasorda-1338183-BP.jpg18s08svqc8tk5jpg.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I never paid any attention to what managers wore tbh but now that's I've seen the myriad of styles, I gotta say having the coach in full uniform looks pretty ridiculous. My vote is the Chris Woodword look. 

Archived