MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I remember when (other than Gretzky) it was really strange for hockey players to have really high numbers.  I think it was mostly the Russians and Czechs that made it commonplace, and now when you see #71, 88, 91, 93, etc., it looks normal to me.

I don't know if I'll ever get there with baseball.  I have a feeling those high numbers - especially the ones that are higher than most spring-training numbers - will always look out of plac.e

I think I'm already used to high numbers in baseball. Except for the Yankees.

Days late but on the discussion of players wearing non team colors does anyone know why Nolan Arenado always has teal in his cleats and batting gloves? He's done this for years and years and it's such an uncommon color that I figure there's an actual explanation behind it. Anyone know? 

21 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I really like seeing this. But I would also like them to break out the original, more ornate number font that was worn with this uniform in 1972 and 1973.

c0d9fd159a440a97eee19ed9f72457ce--braves

1973-Hank-Aaron-Atlanta-Braves-Sand-Knit

Was that a commonplace font at the time? I know the Astros had that font on their original tequila Sunrise jerseys, and until now I just assumed that was unique to them.

Image result for jose cruz astros jersey

Why would you complain about potbellied old men looking silly in uniform when today's managers are all just dudes who retired three years ago?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

... and another thing... now that base coaches wear helmets, it can be easy to momentarily mix the 3rd base coach up with the runner, especially since they’re allowed to run home practically to the plate. 

F Rob Manfred for allowing this absurd practice to continue. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

... and another thing... now that base coaches wear helmets, it can be easy to momentarily mix the 3rd base coach up with the runner, especially since they’re allowed to run home practically to the plate. 

F Rob Manfred for allowing this absurd practice to continue. 

Maybe it’s just me but I think it’s pretty easy to tell who’s the player on third, one is swinging his arm all over the place and obviously not a player, standing a couple feet off the base path, while the other is either on the base path or on the bag, it’s not that hard to mix up.

I actually haven’t commented on this whole managers uniform debacle, but I really don’t mind what they wear, whether it be a uniform, a team hoodie, a suit, they can do what they want

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I’ve always enjoyed when the Braves bring out the 1970s feather throwbacks. They’re definitely a classic. But the more I see them in the modern era, the more I realize they need to clean them up in the same manner they cleaned up their normal sets.

The script is much too imperfect looking, with none of the endearing attributes you sometimes see from other throwback scripts. It just looks ugly. The letter weights, outlines, and negative space are very inconsistent.

spacer.png

This is the same problem that they cleaned up on their primary sets. They went from this:

spacer.png

To this:

spacer.png

...which is funny because their cream fauxback (the one without the tomahawk) has always had the cleaned up script so there was a time where the old script home whites and the creams coexisted.

There have also been some inconsistencies with the lowercase a logo over the years. At times, it has looked like this (which I believe was more historically accurate but does not match what the team uses in the modern era- the modern era logo looks much cleaner, in my opinion):

spacer.png

This is the cleaned up version. It looks like they’re using a raised rubber application on the helmet. I think it looks great.

spacer.png

spacer.png

If the club could fix the script issue, these would be a great alternate. Right now, they still look too rough around the edges for my liking.

4 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Has anyone noticed the Rockies have a new pair of white pants they wear with their purple jerseys? They are solid white with a purple stripe down the leg. I like them better than the pinstriped pants for sure.

These are new starting this season. While I do like the single stripe piping, I'm disappointed I haven't seen pinstripes as much this season because the Rockies wear their alternates so often.

4 hours ago, Griffinmarlins said:

Has anyone noticed the Rockies have a new pair of white pants they wear with their purple jerseys? 

They also wear them with their black alts. This was announced prior to the season.

nolan-arenado-of-the-colorado-rockies-hibrendan-rodgers-of-the-colorado-rockies-

I can't be the only person that thinks the Rockies use way to much black, right? Their helmets should really have purple brim to match their alternate hat, which should be their main hat. It just looks better IMO.

trevor-story-of-the-colorado-rockies-rea

pitcher-wade-davis-and-tony-wolters-of-t

nolan-arenado-of-the-colorado-rockies-in

The Rockies team store had replica Players' Weekend jerseys in stock during today's game. They were all black with silver trim. Button-down versus the pull-overs from years prior. I think they look like Raiders apparel, so I can't imagine they'll sell particularly well in Denver.

UNsLmvd.jpg

YY8oQUc.jpg

2019 World Series, Postseason Logos Officially Revealed by MLB

August 5, 2019 - 16:51 PM

Major League Baseball today announced its 2019 Postseason and World Series schedule and along with that, the logos for each of the postseason rounds we’ll be seeing everywhere this coming October. The big feature is the rainbow of colour that […]

Read More...

On 8/2/2019 at 4:32 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm a Sixers fan (during the playoffs), not a basketball fan.  Either way, one can be a fan of a sport while acknowledging that it's participants are mostly dummies.

You know what's really dumb?  Wearing a hot-wool suit at an event where you are actively moving around, sweating, and having big sweaty men drape their long-ass sweaty-smelly arms on your suit jacket, resulting in an instant trip to the dry cleaners.

It's dumb, and people who coach in suits are dumb.  I don't think Lebron is like "well, I don't really want to run this play, but... he's wearing a suit... so he must know what he's doing".

Most coaches are not that physically active during the game and arenas are air conditioned. At the college/professional level people are getting paid a lot. If they/the league want them to look professional what's your problem?

Is it the most practical thing in the world to wear a suit? No. But there's literally no activity where it is, that's not the point. I don't care that much suit or no suit, but I don't think it's dumb.

Archived