MLB 2019 Changes

16 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

Today

EAgX_MDWwAAot_8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Why is it so hard to add front numbers to replicas?

14 hours ago, mjd77 said:

...and sleeve patches when necessary.  It's always irritated me.  Just charge a few bucks more and get them right.

Price point. That's the difference between replica and "authentic".  

Why would someone shell out an extra $100+ for just different material. 

:censored: I remember just 15 maybe less years ago the replicas all used the same single color block font for names and numbers. Never team specific lettering/numbering.

Gotta pony up for the real McCoy. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really love the Phillies cream alts and I love that the players are wearing blue accessories to go with the caps but perhaps they need blue socks too?

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not really a fan of the blue up top, red at the bottom look and I think is is one of the few times where pants all the way down look better than wearing high socks.

From day one, they should have had blue socks and either blue or black belt/shoes.

Red socks, belt, and sleeves looks silly, and contrary to the look they're trying to emulate.

Switch all the accessories, then ditch the cartoon-bubbly numbers and NOB and go with a true NNOB look with large block numbers and we've got ourselves a good alt.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, Brandon9485 said:

I know the Big Red Machine gets a lot of love, but this is the right look in my opinion. spacer.png

spacer.png

Ditch the pins and these are a thumbs up for me.  I don't like the pinkish hue they give off.

White C never looked right to me on any uniform it was on. Looks worse against the pinstripes.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 hours ago, NicDB said:

Ditch the pins and these are a thumbs up for me.  I don't like the pinkish hue they give off.

Which is what they did 1968-71, and those are coming up next.  Fingers crossed that the positive feedback from the red and white uniforms (with no black or navy) will be loud enough that the team will make that switch back very soon.  They can still sell merchandise with black in it, even as the predominate color.  They did so prior to the addition of black to the uniforms in 1999.  I've got a couple Starter jackets from the early 90s with black trim on them, and you can slap any logo on a black cap, polo, or hoodie, even if there's no black in the team's uniform.  I'm not buying retail sales as a reason that black has to be kept in the uniform, as some have claimed.

2 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

Which is what they did 1968-71, and those are coming up next.  Fingers crossed that the positive feedback from the red and white uniforms (with no black or navy) will be loud enough that the team will make that switch back very soon.  They can still sell merchandise with black in it, even as the predominate color.  They did so prior to the addition of black to the uniforms in 1999.  I've got a couple Starter jackets from the early 90s with black trim on them, and you can slap any logo on a black cap, polo, or hoodie, even if there's no black in the team's uniform.  I'm not buying retail sales as a reason that black has to be kept in the uniform, as some have claimed.

A good example is the Red Wings...plenty of merchandise with black, but there's no way the jerseys will be anything other than red and white. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I’m not a fan of the MLB allowing players to individually pick which color accessories they’d like to pair with the uniform. 

It reminds me of the NBA allowing players to wear shoes that in no way match the teams color scheme. It looks awful 

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

I’m not a fan of the MLB allowing players to individually pick which color accessories they’d like to pair with the uniform. 

Likewise, I don't like the idea of players freestyling on their socks.  When you see multiple sock styles on the same team (next to the goofballs who don't show any sock), it looks very sloppy.  A player can't decide to wear his own style of cap; the undershirts and socks are no less parts of the uniform.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

It reminds me of the NBA allowing players to wear shoes that in no way match the teams color scheme. It looks awful 

It doesn’t thrill me either but it’s been a big part of the marlins look this year.  The players that have worn it best have done a lot with blue and red arm sleeves and cleats 

1 hour ago, THRILLHO said:

It doesn’t thrill me either but it’s been a big part of the marlins look this year.  The players that have worn it best have done a lot with blue and red arm sleeves and cleats 

It only really works in the Marlins' case because the uniforms have so little color in them to begin with that the players have to basically supplement color themselves. I tend to notice the sleeves and cleats before I do the jerseys and caps.

The previous uniforms didn't exactly have loads of color either but they used to look like garbage whenever Stanton or Ozuna would wear those neon highlighter yellow compression sleeves. I'm surprised the team even allowed that.

11 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

It only really works in the Marlins' case because the uniforms have so little color in them to begin with that the players have to basically supplement color themselves. I tend to notice the sleeves and cleats before I do the jerseys and caps.

The previous uniforms didn't exactly have loads of color either but they used to look like garbage whenever Stanton or Ozuna would wear those neon highlighter yellow compression sleeves. I'm surprised the team even allowed that.

The league must have cracked down on that because you don’t see it anymore.  Guys on other teams were doing it too. You’re right about the marlins colors though.   Loria really f-ed up the original uniform when they remade it in 2003 to make teal a third color. I’m confident they will adjust the design to bring the colors out more with this new set. 

14 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Over the winter I took my son to Ballpark Village to watch the Cardinals blue jersey announcement and I recall one of the questions that was asked was something along the lines of "how's that blue going to look with Ozuna's neon yellow compression sleeve?" and everyone laughed.  The response from Bill DeWitt III was said in a joking manner, "Someone may have to have a discussion with him about that."  It came off as just a funny quip, but to be honest, I don't recall seeing it on him this season.  Maybe DeWitt wasn't joking as much as he let on.  😆

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

15 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

The league must have cracked down on that because you don’t see it anymore.  Guys on other teams were doing it too. You’re right about the marlins colors though.   Loria really f-ed up the original uniform when they remade it in 2003 to make teal a third color. I’m confident they will adjust the design to bring the colors out more with this new set. 

Guys still wear non-team colors fairly regularly. Willson Contreras has a Venezuelan-inspired chest protector with a fair amount of yellow. Eloy Jimenez wears red batting gloves for a black/white CWS squad. Lindor and Santana in Cleveland wear multicolor batting gloves.

7 hours ago, ZipperClub said:

Guys still wear non-team colors fairly regularly. Willson Contreras has a Venezuelan-inspired chest protector with a fair amount of yellow. Eloy Jimenez wears red batting gloves for a black/white CWS squad. Lindor and Santana in Cleveland wear multicolor batting gloves.

I watch a ton of marlins games.  Selection bias on my part.  

Semi on-topic question:

Do any managers still wear the regular uniform top? Feels like every manager I see is wearing a hoodie or one of those other BP top-ish things. But never the regular jersey.

I don't have moral feelings on this issue, just a curious observation.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

29 minutes ago, Digby said:

Semi on-topic question:

Do any managers still wear the regular uniform top? Feels like every manager I see is wearing a hoodie or one of those other BP top-ish things. But never the regular jersey.

I don't have moral feelings on this issue, just a curious observation.

I don’t see much of the Marlins so I don’t know how often he wears it, but Mattingly comes to mind:

spacer.png

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived