2020-2021 NHL Changes

squamfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

So taking a ride on the Reddit wheel of comments again, supposedly the Ducks players are the reason they are only wearing the Reverse Retros for the minimum amount.

I wonder how many of them will get a TV gig or front office job after they retire.

7 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It was clearly a failed experiment, but it's sadly taken some teams longer than others to realize this.

It's not that bad anymore. Only one team still has it and it's only on their alternate which will probably be replaced in the next year or two.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

2 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

Washington's Reverse Retros can be added to the long list of alternates they've worn since the current uniforms were unveiled that are superior to the regular look. They really need to ditch their primary uniforms because there's so much wasted potential right now.

I think they're kinda stuck with those Edge holdovers until Ovechkin retires and they start the rebuilding process. Just a gut feeling

Even if they're not going to use the screaming eagle on their next uniforms, they gotta use the beautiful NOB/number font

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Ark said:

The amazing thing about this uniform is how the bottom of the jersey blends into the pants. It's perfect.

This is exactly why I'd like to see the Avalanche wear burgundy pants on the road

3 hours ago, monkeypower said:

So taking a ride on the Reddit wheel of comments again, supposedly the Ducks players are the reason they are only wearing the Reverse Retros for the minimum amount.

Ironically the Ducks home and road jerseys are some of the worst in the league. Side panels, a faux shoulder yoke, and the awful black outline on the white sweater’s crest. They wanna wear that trash? Isn’t also true that it’s the same reason the orange alternate isn’t worn that often? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Even if they're not going to use the screaming eagle on their next uniforms, they gotta use the beautiful NOB/number font

spacer.png

This is exactly why I'd like to see the Avalanche wear burgundy pants on the road

But think of the (assistant?) equipment manager who's responsible of sewing all those names on the jerseys lol. Oooof. Does anybody know if they use kiss cut for the red outline? Especially for the NOB. I can't imagine every layer is stacked and sewn individually with such a fancy font

6 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

It's not that bad anymore. Only one team still has it and it's only on their alternate which will probably be replaced in the next year or two.

Not following you. I would argue the Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Capitals, Coyotes, CBJ, and Devils still are using an outdated template on at least one primary home or away sweater. 

And for practically every single one of these teams, they either have a historical uniform or an alternate sweater that is superior to what they're wearing. I've basically gotten used to the Jackets' current look, and the shoulder/arm treatment makes the lack of striping less noticeable. 

1. Kings - Purple RR and the Gretzky-era sweater are both superior to the current home. 

2. Sharks - Inaugural set, RR jersey, initial RBK set all superior to current set.

3. Ducks- probably the team most in need of a change, but any of their Mighty Ducks throwbacks and orange alts beat their current set. 

4. Capitals - Take your pick. RR, current alt, outdoor game "W" jersey, recently retired throwbacks all trump the current set.

5. Coyotes - Kachina white beats current road jersey, and I'd argue purple RR beats dark Kachina, but it certainly bests the 🐕 sweater. 

6. Devils - For me, take your pick. The classic sweater from the Cup era, the inaugural red and green, and the RR all have more life than their dull set, for me.

39 minutes ago, NYRFan said:

Not following you. I would argue the Kings, Sharks, Ducks, Capitals, Coyotes, CBJ, and Devils still are using an outdated template on at least one primary home or away sweater. 

And for practically every single one of these teams, they either have a historical uniform or an alternate sweater that is superior to what they're wearing. I've basically gotten used to the Jackets' current look, and the shoulder/arm treatment makes the lack of striping less noticeable. 

3. Ducks- probably the team most in need of a change, but any of their Mighty Ducks throwbacks and orange alts beat their current set. 

They should take their 25th anniversary jersey, make a matching white and call it a day. But they'll stick with orange for a long time since they wanna embrace the Orange county thing

2 hours ago, NYRFan said:

1. Kings - Purple RR and the Gretzky-era sweater are both superior to the current home. 

2. Sharks - Inaugural set, RR jersey, initial RBK set all superior to current set.

4. Capitals - Take your pick. RR, current alt, outdoor game "W" jersey, recently retired throwbacks all trump the current set.

5. Coyotes - Kachina white beats current road jersey, and I'd argue purple RR beats dark Kachina, but it certainly bests the 🐕 sweater. 

6. Devils - For me, take your pick. The classic sweater from the Cup era, the inaugural red and green, and the RR all have more life than their dull set, for me.

All the devils really need to do is revise the arm striping, add hem striping,  and fix the dated shoulder yoke. Basicallly, just take the inaugural red and green and change the green to black. Boom. You're done.

I saw someone online pointed out a small change the Coyotes made to their RR uniform. They originally wore it with the black & red gloves they use on the road, but have switched to using the kachina set gloves with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

8 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Isn’t also true that it’s the same reason the orange alternate isn’t worn that often? 

If we're to believe the Redditors who say they know people in the organization. Though it was said by the same people that players were fans of the 25th anniversary jersey, so I don't think the problem with the orange alternate is necessarily the use of the Mighty Ducks logo. Probably the orange?

8 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

Ironically the Ducks home and road jerseys are some of the worst in the league. Side panels, a faux shoulder yoke, and the awful black outline on the white sweater’s crest. They wanna wear that trash?

5 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Bunch of cowards.

As much as people on the internet and fans might want the Mighty Ducks back and embraced, I think a lot of it is still on the players. The current Ducks jerseys are black. You can't think of any reason that players would want to wear black jerseys over eggplant or orange or one with a cartoon duck crashing through the ice?

Getzlaf has said he doesn't like the Mighty Ducks look, which he did play one season as a Mighty Duck, and I would have to assume there are other players (and people) in the organization who feel the same way.

2 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

They should take their 25th anniversary jersey, make a matching white and call it a day. But they'll stick with orange for a long time since they wanna embrace the Orange county thing

I think if they are going to go back to the Mighty Ducks logo, if we are to believe and extrapolate from the Reddit comments, it'll probably not be whole-hog return. The players allegedly liked the 25th anniversary and the Samueli's are allegedly huge fans of the orange.

There appears to be a lot of crossing viewpoints within the Ducks organization surrounding what the team looks like.

I would be fine with something based off the 25th anniversary jersey, but a couple changes would have to be made. First and foremost would be removing the jade yoke.

IbjBaeE.png

12 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

If we're to believe the Redditors who say they know people in the organization. Though it was said by the same people that players were fans of the 25th anniversary jersey, so I don't think the problem with the orange alternate is necessarily the use of the Mighty Ducks logo. Probably the orange?

As much as people on the internet and fans might want the Mighty Ducks back and embraced, I think a lot of it is still on the players. The current Ducks jerseys are black. You can't think of any reason that players would want to wear black jerseys over eggplant or orange or one with a cartoon duck crashing through the ice?

Getzlaf has said he doesn't like the Mighty Ducks look, which he did play one season as a Mighty Duck, and I would have to assume there are other players (and people) in the organization who feel the same way.

Honestly...not really. Eggplant is such a great color compared to black. And since the Kings wear black, I'd hate to wear black if I was a Duck. Bring back the eggplant and jade (great colors for a young Southern California team). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Nordiks_19 said:

But but the players don't like that look or something 😕

Archived