Los Angeles NFL Brands Discussion

OnWis97

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Just because it’s theirs doesn’t mean it’s not lacking in concept. It’s an idea that simply makes no sense, unlike birds standing on bats, which is an entirely plausible situation to encounter.

Lacking in concept or not, the horns looked fantastic in action. I also thought they served as a reinforcement of the Rams' identity. I didn't think it was overkill at all. I believe in owning the heck out of unique elements in a team's visual identity, be that an unusual color scheme or...well, horns.

6025214371_4f15c8f5c9_b.thumb.jpg.f8b8bee6a7f0627a9ba7d2d7e2f11c4c.jpg

On 11/3/2017 at 10:20 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You guys are nuts. The Rams' shoulder horns are uniquely theirs, and can only be theirs. It's as distinctive a feature as the St. Louis Cardinals' birds on a bat.

You don't abandon an essential part of your identity (well, unless you're the Padres).

THANK you. 

On 11/3/2017 at 8:51 AM, andrewharrington said:

A ram doesn’t have four horns, and if it did, the extra set probably wouldn’t be on its shoulders.

Do eagles have wings coming out of the top of their heads?

Alligators aren't orange and blue, but I'll take Florida's normal uniforms over their attempt at looking like alligators.  Realism really isn't required for uniforms.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2017-11-03 at 6:50 AM, Gothamite said:

See, I think the shoulder horns steal focus and take away from the overall effect. Especially when compared with the very literal helmet horns.

That’s one element I would definitely leave in the past (and reserve for the inevitable throwback set).

On 2017-11-03 at 8:51 AM, andrewharrington said:

They already have have a great uniform. They just need a great logo to match. :-)

Wholeheartedly agree. Quite frankly, I never understood the appeal of the shoulder horns in the context of the whole uniform. A ram doesn’t have four horns, and if it did, the extra set probably wouldn’t be on its shoulders.

The Northwestern stripes are nice, but they’re still a bit detailed to pair with the smooth horns for me. I like how they look with the notched horns, though.

The best pairing with the smooth horns for me is a simple USC-style shoulder stripe. The shape works well with the horns, evokes the shoulder horns without going full horn overload, connects to the St. Louis uniform and the white uniform of the Fearsome Foursome look, and it’s a good use of space on today’s style of jersey.

On 2017-11-03 at 10:11 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

Thirded.

I’m sorry, but I have to side with @Ferdinand Cesarano and @Red Wolf on this one. 

The shoulder horns are both unique and they look good. I don’t see any way in which they’d be described as “fussy,” nor do I think they draw attention away from the helmet. 

If anything? They allow the jerseys to remain sufficiently “Rams-esque” when worn by a fan. That’s why while I’m a fan of gold as the Rams’ primary home colour? I’m only really in favour of it if they use the colour rush jerseys as a base. Those Northwestern stripe jerseys just don’t do anything for me. They don’t say “Rams” to me at all. 

If the shoulder horns cannot be used? Then over the shoulder striping like they currently use/used on their white jerseys during the blue and white era is perfectly acceptable. 

I just don’t see why the ram horn sleeves are such an issue though. It’s a fine look for a jersey. It manages to stand out while not verring off into absurdity (unlike the Broncos, Falcons, Browns, Bengals, Cardinals, turn of the century Vikings and Bills). 

On 11/5/2017 at 11:15 AM, Ice_Cap said:

I’m sorry, but I have to side with @Ferdinand Cesarano and @Red Wolf on this one. 

The shoulder horns are both unique and they look good. I don’t see any way in which they’d be described as “fussy,” nor do I think they draw attention away from the helmet. 

If anything? They allow the jerseys to remain sufficiently “Rams-esque” when worn by a fan. That’s why while I’m a fan of gold as the Rams’ primary home colour? I’m only really in favour of it if they use the colour rush jerseys as a base. Those Northwestern stripe jerseys just don’t do anything for me. They don’t say “Rams” to me at all. 

If the shoulder horns cannot be used? Then over the shoulder striping like they currently use/used on their white jerseys during the blue and white era is perfectly acceptable. 

I just don’t see why the ram horn sleeves are such an issue though. It’s a fine look for a jersey. It manages to stand out while not verring off into absurdity (see Broncos, Falcons, Browns, Bengals, Cardinals, turn of the century Vikings and Bills). 

I think we have to agree to disagree on whether they compete with the helmet and even on whether it makes sense to have horns on the arms or for there to be four of them on the uniform or whatever. I would contend, though, that the horns are just unnecessary when the helmet has them. In the 1980s, they at least looked good, but on today’s jersey, they just crunch all the design elements together, and look like a half assed version of a once glorious design element. Why bother with such a cumbersome puzzle of number, maker’s mark, and horn when the plain shoulder stripes simply look cleaner and better in this day and age? The horns are still right there on the helmet.

F56735BB-34F5-4B9D-9C10-987F1D56BF53.thumb.jpeg.ba58310430f1c24cdab50fe0ad34bbe6.jpeg

The fact that it works better for a fan makes sense, but I hate designing through merchandising goggles. I think that’s how we ended up with logos on every piece of every uniform, wordmarks under the collar, on the butt of the shorts, in the middle of sleeve stripes, inside collars, on hockey helmets, etc. Overkill for the sake of “authenticating” marks.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

8 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Do eagles have wings coming out of the top of their heads?

Alligators aren't orange and blue, but I'll take Florida's normal uniforms over their attempt at looking like alligators.  Realism really isn't required for uniforms.

As I noted in a later post (specifically mentioning the Eagles), realism isn’t the whole story. It also matters how the realism (or lack thereof) appears in context. The Eagles use their wings as the focal point of a uniform that is otherwise very spare on design elements, and it works great. They let the wings do what they’re supposed to; carry the uniform and act as the main visual signature. The evidence exists that it doesn’t work quite as well when a team tries to out-do its own signature design element with more of the same design element; Oregon using wings on its helmet along with a different wing design on its jersey shoulders. One or the other is nice. Having both doesn’t work as well.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 11/3/2017 at 8:51 AM, andrewharrington said:

A ram doesn’t have four horns, and if it did, the extra set probably wouldn’t be on its shoulders.

I never knew these existed but was at the Texas State Fair a few weeks ago and they had 4-horned rams there.  They're called Jacob Sheep or something like that.

ramphoto.jpg

pic from Google, not the fair

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I never knew these existed but was at the Texas State Fair a few weeks ago and they had 4-horned rams there.  They're called Jacob Sheep or something like that.

ramphoto.jpg

pic from Google, not the fair

I have seen these! When I originally made the statement, I was thinking that if there was a four-horned ram, it would likely be a mutation where there were two sets on the head.

Only two horns on the jerseys of millions of fans not wearing helmets, though.

I might be the only proponent of the Rams running with white/blue primaries, but they better bring back the sleeve horns. A simple, stylish, and playful, yet iconic take on sleeve striping. Subjectively, the most definitive and beloved component of their identity.

31 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

I might be the only proponent of the Rams running with white/blue primaries, but they better bring back the sleeve horns. A simple, stylish, and playful, yet iconic take on sleeve striping. Subjectively, the most definitive and beloved component of their identity.

More so than the helmet horns?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2017 at 2:10 PM, 4_tattoos said:

I'm glad the Rams are having a good season. But I really, really, REALLY hope they don't win a Super Bowl in these ridiculous transition period uniforms.

On 10/30/2017 at 2:13 PM, Still MIGHTY said:

If they win the Super Bowl this season, they could wear paper bags for all I care.

There’s a slight chance of that happening. Uh oh...

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

You guys are nuts. The Rams' shoulder horns are uniquely theirs, and can only be theirs. It's as distinctive a feature as the St. Louis Cardinals' birds on a bat.

You don't abandon an essential part of your identity (well, unless you're the Padres).

The Rams havent worn shoulder horns full time since 1999.  Yes, the design is theirs to own, but hasnt been used going on 20 years.

3 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

The Rams havent worn shoulder horns full time since 1999.  Yes, the design is theirs to own, but hasnt been used going on 20 years.

The shoulder horns are part of the team's classic uniforms, the uniforms that are most beloved by fans.  And the throwbacks have been used every year for quite some time. So those uniforms are not relics of the past; they are part of the team's current identity. 

The assumption remains that the Rams will return to those uniforms full-time once they open their new stadium.  Some people here were advocating that the team drop the shoulder horns from those once-and-future uniforms.  That suggestion -- I will repeat -- is nuts.

If the real Rams uniforms are going to come back, they have to come back intact.  Otherwise you'd have the problem of the 1956 Cardinals.

kw2KKkp.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived