Tampa Bay Buccaneers Unveil New Uniforms

tBBP

If the current helmet rule stays, it would be worth considering the switch back to a White helmet.  

You could design home & aways in the Pewter/Red-Orange/Orange/Black scheme, but with a change of a face mask, easily have the Creamsicle throwbacks.  

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure it's worth it to design your new look around the idea that it would make it possible to wear a particular throwback.

especially if they do decide to change the helmet rule, you're stuck with your choice for the remainder of 5 years.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm not sure it's worth it to design your new look around the idea that it would make it possible to wear a particular throwback.

Well, it’s not like a white helmet would be a particularly bad look for a simplified pirate flag design. Besides, the team can at least have one non-messy uniform in their repository with a white helmet (a Bucco Bruce throwback).

I just don’t trust the Bucs with a pewter helmet and pewter in general. Once it got on the uniforms, it really made it clear how ugly the color was.

6 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't think bringing back the creamsicles or the '90s uniforms would be the right move. What they should do is emphasize pewter over everything else:

spacer.png

I’d agree, but pewter only works in a gloss form. Nike’s incredible inability to do anything but matte makes pewter look pretty muddy. 

25 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I’d agree, but pewter only works in a gloss form. Nike’s incredible inability to do anything but matte makes pewter look pretty muddy. 

I think pewter should be relegated to trim. I don't trust anyone to pull it off with modern flex fabric. White helm, red primary, creamcycle alt jersey.  Vivid white jersey, worn often at home, with red numerals trimmed in creamcycle. Red or creamcycle facemask options. Red or creamcycle sock options. White pants with red and creamcycle stripes. Maybe alt pewter and red pant options with stripes. But white pants with white hem work the best with the 3 potential jerseys. Bring back a traditional font?

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don't think bringing back the creamsicles or the '90s uniforms would be the right move. What they should do is emphasize pewter over everything else:

spacer.png

Thanks to Nike's influential overanthracting the bejeebus out of CFB--and Adidas and UA following suit with that trend--gray isn't even a unique color anymore; in fact these days it's quite the opposite (to me anyway). 

They really should have just left well enough alone (the '97 rebrand, that is). But they didn't, and so now here we are. That update did a superb job of combining four colors (not counting white) into a cohesive uniform and identity. This current mess is textbook Nike "design by committee" disjointedness. Being that uniform design is trending back to a more minimalist direction, as @Bucfan56 pointed out they could be tempted to overcorrect the other way and end up something like the current Jaguars--which probably doesn't need to happen.

I may have to get back in the concept kitchen on this one....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 minutes ago, Buc said:

Thanks to Nike's influential overanthracting the bejeebus out of CFB--and Adidas and UA following suit with that trend--gray isn't even a unique color anymore; in fact these days it's quite the opposite (to me anyway). 

They really should have just left well enough alone (the '97 rebrand, that is). But they didn't, and so now here we are. That update did a superb job of combining four colors (not counting white) into a cohesive uniform and identity. This current mess is textbook Nike "design by committee" disjointedness. Being that uniform design is trending back to a more minimalist direction, as @Bucfan56 pointed out they could be tempted to overcorrect the other way and end up something like the current Jaguars--which probably doesn't need to happen.

I may have to get back in the concept kitchen on this one....

Actually, take the Jaguars set and recolor it in Bucs colors and it's not that bad.  It'd still be an overcorrection, but it'd work better for them than it does for the Jags.  Just make sure there's only pewter pants - no white - and it could work.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Pewter and creasmsicle orange just look gross together. That's what made the 1997-2013 set work. It understood pewter didn't need to be overused to be effective. Helmets and pants. Perfect. And the orange, while there, never touched the pewter.

14 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

They already nailed the new flag logo. So no need to touch that.

I disagree. This logo is befitting a team called the "Buccaneers." The flag looks weathered like an old pirate flag or a treasure map, the swords look properly chipped, and the skull looks like it belongs on a jolly roger.

w234nmr.png

This logo doesn't work at all. The flag is too clean despite the tears at the end, the swords are too perfect and don't look like proper illustrations you'd see on a flag, and the glossy terminator skull doesn't look like something you'd see from the Golden Age of Piracy at all.

yXW5SB1.png

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I disagree. This logo is befitting a team called the "Buccaneers." The flag looks weathered like an old pirate flag or a treasure map, the swords look properly chipped, and the skull looks like it belongs on a jolly roger.

This logo doesn't work at all. The flag is too clean despite the tears at the end, the swords are too perfect and don't look like proper illustrations you'd see on a flag, and the glossy terminator skull doesn't look like something you'd see from the Golden Age of Piracy at all.

Looking at the responses on the last page, this will be one opinion where I'm in the minority. I kinda like the Terminator better, so it is what is.

The old logo's rugged-ness does kinda fit in with ancient pirate theme, old items from centuries ago sorta. But I feel they may have "cleaned" it up to make it easier to reproduce for merch purposes. I could be wrong, but this is a guess of mine.

A less “winky” Bucco Bruce (like @Buc‘s concept) would accomplish a similar goal.

Give Nike (or any design firm, really) fewer colors to work with and you’ll get better results. Maroon and creamsicle orange would be a fantastic look, without the problems inherent in the pewter shade (e.g., poor translation across multiple surfaces). Heck, a maroon/creamsicle version of the original flag could look excellent.

I like the ‘97-‘13 uniforms and their association with the team “getting good,” but it’s been so long since that 2002 peak. It wouldn’t be bad to see pewter go, especially since it only really worked in the “dazzle” period of fabrics. Maybe eliminating it would produce a better set. I’ve used these same arguments for the Mariners modernizing their set in a way that maximizes colorful ness and brings the look out of the mid-‘90s.

6 hours ago, Lights Out said:

spacer.png

The only thing that I think could work from this set is the number font. 

Your pewter also looks suspiciously anthracite/grey-y

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

A less “winky” Bucco Bruce (like @Buc‘s concept) would accomplish a similar goal.

Give Nike (or any design firm, really) fewer colors to work with and you’ll get better results. Maroon and creamsicle orange would be a fantastic look, without the problems inherent in the pewter shade (e.g., poor translation across multiple surfaces). Heck, a maroon/creamsicle version of the original flag could look excellent.

I like the ‘97-‘13 uniforms and their association with the team “getting good,” but it’s been so long since that 2002 peak. It wouldn’t be bad to see pewter go, especially since it only really worked in the “dazzle” period of fabrics. Maybe eliminating it would produce a better set. I’ve used these same arguments for the Mariners modernizing their set in a way that maximizes colorful ness and brings the look out of the mid-‘90s.

That is something I've often thought about...and when I do, my mind usually goes straight to Virginia Tech. Now while that dark a maroon would be way too much, I'm thinking something a scoche bit darker than Tampa's former vermilion--maybe even FSU's former garnet-- might be the way to go. (As trim, of course.)

Now, I'm sure by now it's no secret around here I'd personally love to see the old creamsicle and white return. IF in any way revenue generation becomes a part of the consideration in the case of a possible update, being 22 years removed from the introduction of pewter as we are,  I'm just about willing to bet orange and white would sell real fast, even if only because it'd be new (again).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

17 hours ago, mafiaman said:

No way.  The beat-up flag with the non-Terminator skull logo was far superior to the updated version.  

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Pewter and creasmsicle orange just look gross together. That's what made the 1997-2013 set work. It understood pewter didn't need to be overused to be effective. Helmets and pants. Perfect. And the orange, while there, never touched the pewter.

w234nmr.png

yXW5SB1.png

To summarize, what I wrote with pics to prove it!  😀

The darker red helps a ton too.  This head-to-head battle is no contest at all.

7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I agree, though it would be more worth it than designing a look around whatever bad ideas they had for this current set.

Archived