NFL 2020

FormerLurker

4 minutes ago, Glenn52-14 said:

Ehh... Just let people express themselves how they please. Do I think it looks stupid and provides an easier way to be grabbed and slung around? Yes, I do. But I probably wear or have worn some dumb stuff in the name of looking cool and I'm glad people weren't paying enough attention to me to care.

There’s not much room for individual expression within the confines of a “uniform” without manipulating the meaning some. I think it’s valid to pay attention to those details on a message board that was designed from day one for people who care about such details. 

I question why anyone that feels that there doesn’t need to be rules and that players should be able to express themselves however they want would even care about  uniforms in the first place. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's sad that an official team graphic shows them wearing cycling shorts, mummy-wrapping socks, and those stupid t-shirts.  Hell - the dufuses on the right clearly have their bone jerseys pulled up just to expose the white undershirt.

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

There’s not much room for individual expression within the confines of a “uniform” without manipulating the meaning some. I think it’s valid to pay attention to those details on a message board that was designed from day one for people who care about such details. 

The problem is, the dead horse you keep beating has to be at least 20 ft underground by now. We get it already.

2 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The problem is, the dead horse you keep beating has to be at least 20 ft underground by now. We get it already.

Some people don't.  The fact that the slob shirts and other uniform violations are actually depicted on a team-issue graphic is pretty relevant to the discussion of sports uniforms.  The horse isn't dead until every slob that wears a slob shirt learns how to wear their uniform as designed.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Titans need to pick 3 colors and run

Or, alternatively, revert to the perfectly fine uniform set they had for basically their entire existence. It makes me sad to see them playing so well in such awful jerseys.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Some people don't.  The fact that the slob shirts and other uniform violations are actually depicted on a team-issue graphic is pretty relevant to the discussion of sports uniforms.  The horse isn't dead until every slob that wears a slob shirt learns how to wear their uniform as designed.

Well I hope the players are active readers of this form, otherwise you’ll be here a looooong time

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

Obviously it’s relevant to the discussion, but you’re unnecessarily preaching to a church full of ghosts.

Like @sleuthpanther said, unless ~1,700 active NFL players frequently visit these boards, there’s not a soul taking what you’re saying to heart.

22 hours ago, TenaciousG said:

Or, alternatively, revert to the perfectly fine uniform set they had for basically their entire existence. It makes me sad to see them playing so well in such awful jerseys.

It's funny because I hated the Titans old unis when they had them. But now, looking back, they were pretty solid.

fiowXOD.png

24 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

It's funny because I hated the Titans old unis when they had them. But now, looking back, they were pretty solid.

I honestly think they would’ve stood the test of time if they chose a different number font and better helmet stripe.

24 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Couldn't agree more. Classic case of "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone." Year after year I would think that they were due for an upgrade and now I wish they could just go back. Limiting the mixing and matching would help the old set too. All they really needed was powder over white, and white over powder. If you need an alt, then navy over white.

On 10/18/2020 at 1:16 PM, McCall said:

Two NFL Teams Shut Down as the Tennessee Titans Face a Covid-19 Outbreak -  WSJ

I want everyone to take a good look at this picture.

Just look at it.

Now close your eyes, and tell me what's the first color that comes to mind when, aside from this image, you think of the Tennessee Titans brand--namely, the color they're most commonly associated with.

Do you see the mismatch?

Thats my problem with this entire set.

It's clearly obvious they went for the "dark, intimidating" route with these. The players seem to love it--last year they went navy over white and navy over columbia a few times in addition to all navy; so far this season it's been white over navy, white over navy, all white, and back-to-back mono navy. It'll be interesting to see when--or if--they break out the light blue this season, which is a real shame for a team that for so long was known by it. Whatever...we probably won't be looking at these things much longer anyways, so...

But I got an idea for them: since they apparently don't seem to care for the light blue anymore (and since the Chargers have slotted into that position anyway), they may as well drop it altogether--either that, or do like the Buccaneers with their orange and relegate it to the slightest bit of trim. Navy and grey/silver--just embrace it, since that's about all that's visible as it is.  And plus, as overplayed as those two colors are in pro sports, to date not one team from any of the major pro leagues has yet to embrace navy and gray/silver as a primary colorway, so there is that, too.

(Now there's something I never thought I'd find myself advocating for...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, Buc said:

I want everyone to take a good look at this picture.

Just look at it.

Now close your eyes, and tell me what's the first color that comes to mind when...

It's clearly obvious they went for the "dark, intimidating" route with these. The players seem to love it--last year they went navy over white and navy over columbia a few times in addition to all navy; so far this season it's been white over navy, white over navy, all white, and back-to-back mono navy. It'll be interesting to see when--or if--they break out the light blue this season, which is a real shame for a team that for so long was known by it. Whatever...we probably won't be looking at these things much longer anyways, so...

While I agree with you that the Titans should put more emphasis on the columbia blue given our fanbase's insistence that the Oilers' history is our own, it's disingenous to imply that Tennessee doesn't wear columbia at all or that it is the defining color of our time in Nashville. Honestly, when I think of the Titans I think of white and navy with some columbia thrown in. The McNair-George era was almost always white-navy-white (including the Super Bowl). This trend continues to last season where we wore navy-white-navy for the something like 5 of the last 7 games, including the whole playoff run.

To your point, I think Tennessee needs to drop the grey, focus on columbia and navy, and use silver as a tertiary color. Drop the beveling on the sword yokes, contain them to the shoulder, and make them columbia or navy only. And minimize red to only a quarternary at best. It's got a history both with the Oilers and with the defenses of the 90's, but it looks out of place being shoehorned in only on the swoosh.

Also - last season, Tennessee wore columbia over navy (our best combo) in probably the most defining win of the regular season over Kansas City. And I believe we are wearing the same combo this weekend against Pittsburgh.

With the current set, the best options IMO-

HOME

spacer.png

AWAY

spacer.png

ALT

spacer.png

These are second best-

spacer.png
spacer.png

(you can barely see the navy socks)

However, I don’t mind these-

spacer.png

spacer.png

What I see with Tennessee is they actually have a really good set, but it’s way too many options. Overcomplicated. They have a chance to utilize Columbia Blue like how Green Bay & Pittsburgh utilize yellow/gold. They also have the opportunity to demote it completely to trim color like the last four photos show and still look relatively good.

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

920x920.jpg

spacer.png

As long as they keep those grey shoulder yokes (which really throw everything else off with the Columbia pants), and as long as they keep to navy socks, these are really their best options from a cohesiveness and contrast standpoint. If they were to 86 the pit stains and do something about that number font, this might be palatable (my aversion to the switch to navy helmets notwithstanding). As it is...

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

What I see with Tennessee is they actually have a really good set, but it’s way too many options. Overcomplicated. They have a chance to utilize Columbia Blue like how Green Bay & Pittsburgh utilize yellow/gold. They also have the opportunity to demote it completely to trim color like the last four photos show and still look relatively good.

...Right there. This is and has been the unfortunate hallmark of unchained Nike design...doin' too much if not doin' the most (like these). Cleveland and Tampa eventually figured it out, so did Jacksonville (though they overcorrected the other way); its only a matter of time before Tennessee sees it as well (sooner rather than later), and then we'll be looking back on the 2010s almost the way we (who are old enough) look back on the 90s: back then we saw a bunch of stuff we'd never seen before, risks being taken and the like. Some of the stuff stuck; some didn't. Looking at the present trend in the NFL, it doesn't look like much if any of the swooshkateering phase will stick past the next 2-5 years. (I even think ATL will figure this out--okay I hope they figure it out. 😄)

Back to Tennessee...this image probably best explains the biggest issue with this set (and ideally, this should be their best combo)...

GettyImages-1067870550.jpg

If those shoulder yokes were also columbi--er, Titans Blue, this whole thing would probably look more cohesive. Yet, we have (not one but TWO) shades of gray competing for attention with the Columbia (and I won't even get into the supposed-to-be-sword-sheath double-stripe thing going on with the pants).

In comparison...

cropped_GettyImages-612681286.jpg?ts=149

Less colors/design elements = more cohesion.  (And do we see how much livelier this last set was versus now?)

Anyway, I think I've done more dissecting with the Titans' brand identity, between the two sets, than I've ever done with any other uniform set in sports history, and I'm still trying to figure out why that is!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

All the Titans needed to do with the previous set was change the number font, remove the helmet stripes, and (maybe) make the helmet logo just a little larger to take up some more space and make up for removing the helmet stripes. That would have been more than sufficient for an update. Completely changing to what they have now went way too far.

I’ve said this before, but the Titans are exhibit A when it comes to doing too much about too little. They only required a few tweaks, but over-did it and made a mess. The Bucs’ previous set did the same thing. That’s why I really dislike calls for the Panthers to rebrand, because I feel like they just need very small tweaks but have too much potential to go overboard if they cave and scrap everything. A spacesuit with claw slashes everywhere is both a terrible nightmare and a real possibility, so much like it should have been with the Titans and Bucs, it’s a good rule of thumb to be careful what you ask for when calling for overhauls.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I really don't see the Titans that often, so seeing all these pictures of the various options is pretty eye opening... They're all terrible. Trying to figure out the best combo is kind of a waste of time.

That's an awful uniform in any combination.

I wouldn’t say the uniform is awful. Like I said in my above post, the Titans made it over complicated for no good reason.

They need to either

1:

Three jerseys (Navy, White, Columbia)

One pair of pants (columbia)

One pair of socks (navy)

OR

2:

Two jerseys (Navy, White)

One pair of pants (White)

One pair of socks (Navy)

Archived