NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

5 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

This version is better because the striping pattern is consistent

And god I love those uniforms

It will be that uniform because that was the last version they wore before the 1 helmet rule was put in place, but have kept that uniform in there style guide over the whole period.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Now, the question is: will they use the above iteration of the red/white uniforms (2009 throwback to 1963)? Or will it be the 1985 version (below)? I like elements of both of these uniforms, but I don't feel more strongly about one over the other. If I had to guess though, I'd guess the 1985 version or perhaps an early 90s one with the red facemasks.

spacer.png

Patriots’ HOF Twitter account said the last time the throwbacks were worn was 2012…seems like a strong hint that it’ll be the 1985 style. Nike already makes retail versions. 

For whatever reason PFT and Boston Hersld are using 2009 AFL photos. 

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 hours ago, gothedistance said:

The Patriots should use a white version of the throwbacks too. Or do they have another alternate in mind?

Don’t you think having home and road throwbacks becomes redundant? It creates an identity crisis. Look at the dolphins…do they want to be aqua or aqua fresh?

• Like 4
KISSwall09.jpg

12 hours ago, gothedistance said:

The Patriots should use a white version of the throwbacks too. Or do they have another alternate in mind?

The current roads are essentially that but with red and blue swapped. And as @hormone said it becomes redundant, but specifically because those 2 jerseys are already close to eachother.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2021 at 10:34 PM, hormone said:

Don’t you think having home and road throwbacks becomes redundant? It creates an identity crisis. Look at the dolphins…do they want to be aqua or aqua fresh?

*screams in 49ers*

(yes, home & road throwbacks are dumb)

• Like 7

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 12/3/2021 at 3:10 PM, flyersfan said:

Part of what makes the Texans "boring" is the navy color, absolutely. The RWB scheme is almost overused in American sports (esp. Baseball). Navy with some red & white has been done for the NFL, and it's the globally recognized Patriots. Their rival in the Titans has gone to a navy-centric uniform set, and sit in a division with Royal Blue Colts, and Black&Teal Jaguars, something else is needed.

The Texans have awesome starts, I think their logo is one of the better ones in the NFL.  Only one team in the league has true red helmets (Chiefs, Washington is burgundy with TBD on the new look), there are a handful white ones (Chargers, Colts, Cardinals, Bills, Dolphins), and a handful of navy (Broncos, Bears, Titans, Seahawks). If they went with the red uniforms, they'd differentiate themselves from their division, the patriots, and the Navy is opposite enough of the Chiefs yellow. I'm almost envisioning a red-sox type brand for them.

Both the Cardinals and Texans can really stand out with a red helmet. I am a sucker for a white helmet though, but I think there's a ton of potential in there being a lack of red in the NFL, which is all the point is.

The Cardinals are due for an upgrade, but I think they should go forward with it, not go traditional. Doesn't mean gimmick, but I've had ideas I may throw in the Concepts forum at some point.

I definitely think the Texans hierarchy should be red-navy-white, but I don't think the helmet needs to change. There are only 4 other teams who wear navy helmets, and none of them use red as one of their other colours (aside from the slivers Tennessee uses).

I completely agree that red is an underused helmet colour though. I think the Bills should have gone with red instead of white for the helmet on their last rebrand, especially since at the time their division already had 2 other white helmet teams. When it comes to the Cardinals, I think the white helmet & logo are the only elements they should keep.

• Like 5

Not trying to nitpick, but that Twitter account only specifies that the red jerseys will be worn. Nothing about the white helmet or white pants.

Sure we could assume those will be worn too, but let’s not count out the possibility of a different combination being worn.

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Not trying to nitpick, but that Twitter account only specifies that the red jerseys will be worn. Nothing about the white helmet or white pants.

Sure we could assume those will be worn too, but let’s not count out the possibility of a different combination being worn.

The Pat Patriots have only been worn with  white helmets and pants. Heck, up until the 1990's,  the Pats only  wore red jerseys, white helmets, and white pants.

• Like 4

Yep. I think Houston should simply switch the primary from blue to red, and wear accordingly. Add some red pants maybe. But the branding is awesome as it is. It's *them*, not gimmicky, and not boring. Could be an awesome change from the Watson+sucking era, a la the new look Browns...

• Like 9

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

Also, something I noticed on the Browns, is the 7 having half of the serif missing. I know it was a nod to classic looks on the primary, but they kept it consistent on the throwback too. Awesome attention to detail and if it wasn't applauded for before, I'm applauding it now.New throwback uniforms honor 75th anniversary of inaugural 1946 team –  BrownsZone with Scott PetrakWhat's behind the Cleveland Browns' magical turnaround this season? - CGTN

• Like 4

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

8 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Also, something I noticed on the Browns, is the 7 having half of the serif missing. I know it was a nod to classic looks on the primary, but they kept it consistent on the throwback too. Awesome attention to detail and if it wasn't applauded for before, I'm applauding it now.New throwback uniforms honor 75th anniversary of inaugural 1946 team –  BrownsZone with Scott PetrakWhat's behind the Cleveland Browns' magical turnaround this season? - CGTN

I didn't get the hype for the throwbacks at first but once I saw them on the field I was a big fan

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Yep. I think Houston should simply switch the primary from blue to red, and wear accordingly. Add some red pants maybe. But the branding is awesome as it is. It's *them*, not gimmicky, and not boring. Could be an awesome change from the Watson+sucking era, a la the new look Browns...

They already have some.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 12/6/2021 at 3:58 PM, DCarp1231 said:

Houston should absolutely be a red-first team

spacer.png

This should be the Texans home look.

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

They already have some.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am firmly in the camp that the Texans should be a red home team. Much like everyone else has said with the navy of the Titans, Royal of the Colts, Teal/Black of the Jags, they play in a heavy blue division. I would also see the switch to red jerseys at home and more frequent use of red pants away as a way to differentiate themselves from the Cowboys. I know those two teams don’t really ever meet up enough, but having a very solid and separate identity would help. And with Houston moving to red would help Dallas see itself as a blue/white brand and own that look in the state.

• Like 12

On 12/9/2021 at 7:30 PM, fouhy12 said:

Speaking of red pants, I always thought the Pats old uniforms looked really good with them. I wonder how the current road uniforms would look with red instead of blue pants.

1992_NewEngland.pngSteve Grogan: New England Patriots of the Past - Last Word on Pro Football

The current roads don't have enough/are not dominate in red in them, so I think it would be a little off putting. The navy pants is fine because it at least fits with what thier last set was. What they really need, as mentioned several times before is grey pants with the home look. HOPEFULLY next year they give that to us. 

• Like 9

On 12/8/2021 at 2:31 PM, flyersfan said:

I assumed the weird-looking 7 was just Nike being Nike. I had no idea there was actual historical precedent for it.

Regardless, while people have complained about it, it's never particularly bothered me all that much.

I also think the drop-shadowed numbers from the throwbacks look better than the single-layer numbers from their normal uniforms.

• Like 3

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12