NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

26 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but didn't the Texans initially unveil a white helmet when they were awarded the franchise? I remember playing Madden back then, and they initially included the Texans with a white helmet and generic uniform design. Of course, that's because they had yet to unveil their inaugural uniforms by the time the game was released. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

spacer.png

33 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong, but didn't the Texans initially unveil a white helmet when they were awarded the franchise? I remember playing Madden back then, and they initially included the Texans with a white helmet and generic uniform design. Of course, that's because they had yet to unveil their inaugural uniforms by the time the game was released. 

Yes, their first helmet was plain white with the logo on it. Had it happened now, EA would have just sent an update to the game after they were released. 

• Like 6

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I think we should talk about the Bengals 2021 redesign as a smashing success.

The base design is great but we also need to give props to the equipment staff in Cincinnati that have consistently made good pairings for each week. 

1345860439.0.jpg1347117554.0.jpg

22HQGKH3FBF4LJ37NODHEUIFZY.jpg
Bengals-Bears-Football-1-1632333707.jpg
2ZHB5SAS4D3AG57QPNLYE6F6EE.jpg

Wearing white socks with the black pants on the road is terrific for starters but also keeping the black socks with the white over white (paired with the black striped pants) and going with orange/black/orange last week have been so satisfying to watch. I even liked it when they went black over black with black socks because it still felt like the right choice with that particular combination.

I agree its a major upgrade. But, I still don't love them due to the different patterns on the stripes between the helmet, jersey, and pants. 

I figured this out: On TV from the aerial view of the field, they look amazing. To piggie back off of what you said, the color combos have been great. But once you see a zoomed in angle of a player, I can't get past the 3 different striping patterns. The last combo: orange helmet, orange jersey, black  pants, orange socks is my favorite because at least the stripes are consistently colored. Black stripes on an orange base. It feels the most cohesive.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

It was just a placeholder helmet for the press photo. I think a fair amount of people conflate the jax/car expansion round where all the bidding cities had logos and prototype uniforms to be the norm when new franchises are awarded/announced and that was really the exception.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

White helmet navy facemask at the first unveiling of the name I think. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Part of what makes the Texans "boring" is the navy color, absolutely. The RWB scheme is almost overused in American sports (esp. Baseball). Navy with some red & white has been done for the NFL, and it's the globally recognized Patriots. Their rival in the Titans has gone to a navy-centric uniform set, and sit in a division with Royal Blue Colts, and Black&Teal Jaguars, something else is needed.

The Texans have awesome starts, I think their logo is one of the better ones in the NFL.  Only one team in the league has true red helmets (Chiefs, Washington is burgundy with TBD on the new look), there are a handful white ones (Chargers, Colts, Cardinals, Bills, Dolphins), and a handful of navy (Broncos, Bears, Titans, Seahawks). If they went with the red uniforms, they'd differentiate themselves from their division, the patriots, and the Navy is opposite enough of the Chiefs yellow. I'm almost envisioning a red-sox type brand for them.

Both the Cardinals and Texans can really stand out with a red helmet. I am a sucker for a white helmet though, but I think there's a ton of potential in there being a lack of red in the NFL, which is all the point is.

The Cardinals are due for an upgrade, but I think they should go forward with it, not go traditional. Doesn't mean gimmick, but I've had ideas I may throw in the Concepts forum at some point.

• Like 7

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

17 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

The Cardinals are due for an upgrade, but I think they should go forward with it, not go traditional. Doesn't mean gimmick, but I've had ideas I may throw in the Concepts forum at some point.

None of your concepts use the Arizona state flag, right? RIGHT!?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flyersfan said:

The RWB scheme is almost overused in American sports (esp. Baseball).

I hate when teams say they have a RWB color scheme but the blue is navy. It makes sense for the Texans because the Texas flag uses navy, but it's so stupid for teams like the Pats and Nats who are obviously trying to evoke the US flag colors

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I hate when teams say they have a RWB color scheme but the blue is navy. It makes sense for the Texans because the Texas flag uses navy, but it's so stupid for teams like the Pats and Nats who are obviously trying to evoke the US flag colors

Well the flag is navy so yea that makes sense.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

Nah it's brighter

It’s navy, not midnight navy but navy none the less. It certainly isn’t royal or anywhere close to it. And with the limited number of textiles available to teams going with navy is by far the better choice.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s navy, not midnight navy but navy none the less. It certainly isn’t royal or anywhere close to it. And with the limited number of textiles available to teams going with navy is by far the better choice.

The color of the flag notwithstanding, certain RWB teams would look better with brighter blues than navy

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 8:06 AM, tBBP said:

we very nearly had chromedomes with red flames shooting out the sides...

To be honest, that sounds better than the helmet they went with.

• Like 3

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

The color of the flag notwithstanding, certain RWB teams would look better with brighter blues than navy

Disagree, it often ends up looking far over saturated when teams do red and royal blue. The colors are just too close to eachother in terms of brightness. They need the contrast 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Delicate Genius said:

Now, the question is: will they use the above iteration of the red/white uniforms (2009 throwback to 1963)? Or will it be the 1985 version (below)? I like elements of both of these uniforms, but I don't feel more strongly about one over the other. If I had to guess though, I'd guess the 1985 version or perhaps an early 90s one with the red facemasks.

spacer.png

I do prefer the '85 version. Mainly because the history of wearing them in their first Super Bowl appearance.  

I really liked this Retro-Inspired concept too. 

Silver helmet on red does not look as bad as I thought. 

I still hope one day they will bring back their 90's throwbacks

I don't care if the oversize logo if goofy & stupid, they were my favorite version of the Patriots uniform. 

The white jersey especially was sick. 

Uni Watch's Friday Flashback - Remembering New England Patriots' awkward  pre-Tom Brady phase

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Now, the question is: will they use the above iteration of the red/white uniforms (2009 throwback to 1963)? Or will it be the 1985 version (below)? I like elements of both of these uniforms, but I don't feel more strongly about one over the other. If I had to guess though, I'd guess the 1985 version or perhaps an early 90s one with the red facemasks.

spacer.png

This version is better because the striping pattern is consistent

And god I love those uniforms

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad