NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

30 minutes ago, ptaylor said:

-Research shows that fans want an identity that conveys a "sense of aggression, of boldness, of edginess"

EDIT: Edited before the MOD EDIT

• LOL 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

16 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Unless they already had something in the works, I believe it's already too late for next season.

Even so, I hope Mixon or Burrow or one of their other young foundational players can get that proverbial ball rolling. 

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

Even so, I hope Mixon or Burrow or one of their other young foundational players can get that proverbial ball rolling. 

Careful what you wish for. Player involvement doesn't offer much more than fire emojis.

• Like 15

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, ptaylor said:

Rundown of Washington Football Team's president Jason Wright's comments on the radio today: 

-Burgundy and gold is staying as team colors 

-Name should connect to area or history of the club (basically be meaningful to the fanbase and not some random name)

-Research shows that fans want an identity that conveys a "sense of aggression, of boldness, of edginess"

-New name will most likely be announced AFTER the 2021 season

This vaguely points in all directions to the new name being “Redwolves”

spacer.png

• Yawn 1

7 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

The amount of people who think "Football Team" is their new nickname is unbelievable

I don't think that's the issue at all, it's just that in all the databases, 'Football Team' is stored in the 'Team_Nickname' column, so the systems use it whenever the nickname is called for, which can lead to situations where you have "Eagles are visiting the Football Team", which looks ridiculous.

• Like 20

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I don't think that's the issue at all, it's just that in all the databases, 'Football Team' is stored in the 'Team_Nickname' column, so the systems use it whenever the nickname is called for, which can lead to situations where you have "Eagles are visiting the Football Team", which looks ridiculous.

This is exactly the reason. Most places you see team names are automated procedures that pull team nicknames in. Especially with 2 LA and NY teams, much easier to use nicknames.

• Like 6

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

9 hours ago, jn8 said:

Hot take: keep Washington Football Team. It’s unique and quirky and kinda fits a team that’s been around forever, giving like a 1930s type of feel.

The idea of just sticking with Washington Football Team full time has grown on me as well.

I was listening to Tony Kornheiser’s show recently and I thought he had a good point in saying that no matter what name the team lands on, Redtails, Redwolves, whatever, it’ll never satisfy the fan base. The new name will always be compared to the old name, so just stick with WFT.

• Like 4

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Kornheiser is wrong. "Washington Football Team" is and has always been a copout. Just because some people are bound to complain about whatever name they choose doesn't mean they aren't obligated to stop this nonsense and pick a new name ASAP. This isn't soccer.

As for the argument that WFT fits a team that's been around since the '30s: football teams had actual names in the '30s. This particular team was founded in 1932 as the Boston Braves, not the Boston Football Team. Their current non-name and non-brand would have stuck out like a sore thumb back then just like it does now.

• Like 13

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

NFL Divisional Round Uniform Matchups

January 16, 2021 - 15:39 PM

The NFL Divisional round starts today and, just as we did last weekend, we’re again bringing you the uniform matchups you can expect to see on the field over the next two days. We’ve got two games on Saturday, two games on Sunday, winners will move on to the Conference

Read More...

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Could the Bengals possibly look worse, though?

Considering how many people HATE the Rams new look, and consider how many also thought their update would be a slam dunk classic, YES the Bengals could possibly look worse.

• Like 8

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

I've seen plenty of regular people calling them Football Team, be it tongue-in-cheek or not

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Well the Rams look worse and so did the Bucs and Browns so yes

2 hours ago, HailGoldPants said:

I was listening to Tony Kornheiser’s show recently and I thought he had a good point in saying that no matter what name the team lands on, Redtails, Redwolves, whatever, it’ll never satisfy the fan base. The new name will always be compared to the old name

How will having no name satisfy them then? People have been saying this about keeping WFT too.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

How will having no name satisfy them then? People have been saying this about keeping WFT too.

The point he was trying to make is that he believes the fan base would be more willing to accept WFT/No name versus a new team name that’ll always be compared to the old name. If they can’t have “(Washington Football Team)”, WFT/No name would be an easier pill to swallow. At least that is what I got from it.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

14 hours ago, jn8 said:

Hot take: keep Washington Football Team. It’s unique and quirky and kinda fits a team that’s been around forever, giving like a 1930s type of feel.

Speaking of hot takes, I don't know why they wouldn't capitalize on the hottest trend in sports and go with Team de Foot Washington. A fitting nod to the area's history.

A Brief History of Pierre L’Enfant and Washington, D.C.: How One Frenchman’s Vision Became Our Capital City

Today's Washington, D.C. owes much of its unique design to Pierre Charles L'Enfant, who came to America from France to fight in the Revolutionary War and rose from obscurity to become a trusted city planner for George Washington. L'Enfant designed the city from scratch, envisioning a grand capital of wide avenues, public squares and inspiring buildings in what was then a district of hills, forests, marshes and plantations.

The local press would inevitably dub them Les Enfants or Les Planificateurs once they understood the rich history behind the team's name.

• Like 2

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

7 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

This is a bit hyperbolic. The only thing that really makes the Bengals uniforms as bad as they are is the inexplicable side panel. Aside from that while the uniforms aren't perfect they aren't fundamentally flawed like some.

• Like 2