NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

1 hour ago, QCS said:

Yeah, that's the point. The silver is superfluous in the identity and axing it in favor of a blue helmet is the right way to go. Not to self-promote, but I did explore this concept about a year ago:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I removed silver, burned the black socks, and replaced the sleeve logo with TV numbers. As long as there are no blue pants, this set would be pretty much perfect. The only thing it requires is a new logo with a preferably black stroke, to avoid the awful blending that happens too often with the current logo.

The logo gets a little muddy on a blue helmet. I'm sure there is a way to redo the outline to make it sit better. I like the blue helmet, but I also like the sense of depth the silver brings.

A change for the Panthers in this direction would be similar to what the Jets did (light helmet to team color helmet). It would probably be well received.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, QCS said:

Yeah, that's the point. The silver is superfluous in the identity and axing it in favor of a blue helmet is the right way to go. Not to self-promote, but I did explore this concept about a year ago:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I removed silver, burned the black socks, and replaced the sleeve logo with TV numbers. As long as there are no blue pants, this set would be pretty much perfect. The only thing it requires is a new logo with a preferably black stroke, to avoid the awful blending that happens too often with the current logo.

I think the blue helmet is an improvement.

spacer.png

• Like 9

I've always been behind the idea of a black helmet and mono-black for the Panthers. They're a young enough and  historically *bad* enough team that they can get away with it. I'd perhaps even like to see a satin black with a lurking glossy/chromeish panther, similar to the falcons current helmet. Silver can be reduced to a tertiary color.

• Like 2

fiowXOD.png

1 hour ago, O.C.D said:

The logo gets a little muddy on a blue helmet. I'm sure there is a way to redo the outline to make it sit better. I like the blue helmet, but I also like the sense of depth the silver brings.

A change for the Panthers in this direction would be similar to what the Jets did (light helmet to team color helmet). It would probably be well received.

Yeah, a bigger stroke is one of the things I'd improve if I redid the concept.

33 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

I've always been behind the idea of a black helmet and mono-black for the Panthers. They're a young enough and  historically *bad* enough team that they can get away with it. I'd perhaps even like to see a satin black with a lurking glossy/chromeish panther, similar to the falcons current helmet. Silver can be reduced to a tertiary color.

Yeah, a 25-year-old team with two Super Bowl appearances and two other NFC championship appearances is historically bad. A gimmicky rebrand would be a disaster for our brand identity.

• Like 15

the user formerly known as cdclt

21 minutes ago, QCS said:

Yeah, a 25-year-old team with two Super Bowl appearances and two other NFC championship appearances is historically bad. A gimmicky rebrand would be a disaster for our brand identity.

Their overall franchise win-loss record is 200-215-1. Which isn’t historically bad in the slightest.

12 of their 26 seasons have been 7-9 or 8-8 (7-8-1 in 2014).

For two 5-11 seasons, they’ve had three 11-5 seasons

For one 4-12 season, they’ve had three 12-4 seasons

For one 1-15 season, they’ve had one 15-1 season

Two 6-10 seasons

One 2-14 season 

• Like 3

When I think of the Panthers, I think of a team that historically is average to slightly-above-average.  Certainly not bad, and certainly not great, despite a few bad and a few great seasons.

They could do a black helmet and build their look around a lot of black, but I really think what they have now is what's best for them if they just got rid of the gimmicky combinations.

• Like 11

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Do this. Clear decal instead of black so the Panther blends with the helmet to create a panther in the shadows.

e4155df0e97974411a87575750f7f055.jpg

I understand that is just a mock-up and not an actual rendering. But that example has an extremely large graphic/logo to make that work. That size might run into issues that the Bucs ran into with the larger Flag that would not fit properly due to the newer helmet crevasses and holes.  

If you make the logo smaller does it ruin the effect? At that size it looks good. But at the same time it is also too large and would need to be smaller. 

So will a smaller logo look bad and will it allow a stripe(s) down the center?

I agree with those of you who said the Panthers don't need a change. They're a rare example of a team that got it right from the jump. 

I'm not advocating for this, because I don't think they need it, but I've always wanted an NFL team to embrace the helmet style of the USFL's Michigan Panthers -- a more immersive helmet logo that makes it appear as if the Panther is swooping up from the bottom of the helmet. I'd be curious to see what a Carolina adoption of that concept looked like. 

• Like 4

If the Panthers would stick to silver helmets and pants, I'd like to see them keep what they have. Maybe just a bit of detail clean up. But since they've more or less destroyed their continuity with the endless parade of stupid looking combinations, it's hard not to think of them as an ugly team, even though there's a solid look under all that nonsense.

• Like 13

15 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The second step is changing the helmet stripe. It’s arguably one of, if not, the worst in the league. It gets dangerously close to the helmet logos. Either go stripeless or match them to the jersey and pants.

This is far and away my biggest gripe with the current set.  The helmets stripes are terrible . . . normal in the front with weird ,unexplained curves in the back.

With regard to the blue helmet, the Florida Tuskers (seen above) offer a great real life test run.  Their uniforms were almost straight Panthers knockoffs with blue helmets . . . and blue jersey numbers.

• Like 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

8 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Do this. Clear decal instead of black so the Panther blends with the helmet to create a panther in the shadows.

e4155df0e97974411a87575750f7f055.jpg

This is very similar to what I was thinking, although it may indeed look better on paper than in practice.

I understand the comments above that show favor for the Panthers unis, and with a bit of clean up they could be very solid. But the fact is, there is a LOT wrong with them. The helmet stripes, the practically 2'' TV numbers, terrible striping/outlining inconsistency, awkward pant stripes, and too much mix-and-match. I'd like to see the Panthers phase out either white or silver, they really can't have both except for their away uni.

What this thread has shown me, however, is that the Panthers really do have one of the league's best logos. THAT should not change one bit.

fiowXOD.png

20 hours ago, BBTV said:

All those things you just said are true, but I can live with them if they would just stop playing mix-and-match so much.  Just have silver pants.  That's it.  If they need black, then they should only be worn with the black jersey maybe once a year.  at this point, they have Titanitis, where it takes you a few seconds every time they're on TV before you recognize who they are.  They had a very solid brand for close to 25 years, but they've really chipped away at it the last few.

I like the black jersey and pants together. Just not with black socks. That combo pops with blue socks. 

• Like 5

I've mentioned before that if the Carolina Panthers were to get new uniforms (since Jerry Richardson is gone now) this is what I'd personally like to see

• Blue helmets with black facemasks
  • New Panther head logo not made to resemble the shape of the Carolinas
  • Silver dropped as a uniform color, but would be okay with silver or gray used as an accent color in the logo
  • Blue primary/home jerseys as I personally dislike when team wear white jerseys at home (Panthers tend to wear white at home often in the early part of the season). Hopefully a lighter colored home jerseys would convince them not to go WAH
  • Black jerseys become alternates
  • Blue, white and black pants
  • Blue and black socks
  • Maintain the same number font
  • Official gameday uniform combinations would be (jersey/pants/socks); Primary home: blue/white/blue; Home alts; blue/blue/black, blue/black/blue, black/white/black, black/blue/black, black/black/blue; Primary road: white/blue/black; Road alts: white/white/blue, white/black/blue; Color rush options: all blue and all black
  • Any uniform combinations not mentioned in the previous point would be available in the Madden games only
  • Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, kutztown said:

Would love to see the Panthers overhaul their uniforms and go black helmets.  It just works for that identity.  Also waiting patiently for this ever elusive return of kelly green for the Eagles.

If not kelly green...at least something that isn't as dark and drab as they have now. It is terrible. 

• Like 3