NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

Some of the Rams players with white accessories today. What a bad idea. They have every accessory available in the Bone color, why oh why would one break out white accessories with this uniform. Solid blue maybe, but not with this jersey

• Like 4

The problem is that people don't use "team" at the level of "club," "franchise," or hockey's "organ-eye-zation" to represent the greater corporate entity of a sporting enterprise beyond the players on the field. It would be like calling them the Roster -- it's alien usage. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

22 minutes ago, dont care said:

Anyone else seeing all the yellow stains on the rams uniforms. Makes them look dirty and piss strained.

They look like their laundry guy doesn't separate the whites from the colors.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gothedistance said:

Why are we calling them, Washington, the Football Team? The other 31 clubs are a football team too.

everyone I know calls them the Skins or the full old name that's banned on here. Obviously that's just anecdotal, but I can't help but think that type of thing will stick around if the team stays in nameless limbo instead of just adopting a new identity and moving the hell on

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 10:10 AM, Lights Out said:

Kornheiser is wrong. "Washington Football Team" is and has always been a copout. Just because some people are bound to complain about whatever name they choose doesn't mean they aren't obligated to stop this nonsense and pick a new name ASAP. This isn't soccer.

As for the argument that WFT fits a team that's been around since the '30s: football teams had actual names in the '30s. This particular team was founded in 1932 as the Boston Braves, not the Boston Football Team. Their current non-name and non-brand would have stuck out like a sore thumb back then just like it does now.

I agree with this. However, I’d also add on by saying anything starting with “Red” is as much of a copout as what the current name is. To satisfy the fanbase, I’d argue they need to get as close as possible to the old name as they can. “Warriors” would be the choice for this. The problem is, they need to get as far away from ‘formerly known as’ as possible to not cause any backlash.

Bottom line, stay as far away from the old name as possible.

I’d like to see the new name start with R, but not Redtails or Redwolves. I’ve always thought the name Roughriders with maybe some sort of Teddy Roosevelt motif would be cool, but I don’t think that would fly with the CFL team of the same name. Plus, the name would not be original.

I’m actually more concerned that the rebrand will come with some sort of new uniform abomination. I love the team’s unis (with the addition of gold pants) and would hate to see them stray away too far from the current look.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

21 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

everyone I know calls them the Skins or the full old name that's banned on here. Obviously that's just anecdotal, but I can't help but think that type of thing will stick around if the team stays in nameless limbo instead of just adopting a new identity and moving the hell on

I don't know anyone who uses the old name. Also anecdotal.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

31 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't know anyone who uses the old name. Also anecdotal.

I’ve noticed a lot of people, usually 40+ yrs in age, in the surrounding DC area still use the old name.

Most younger fans have accepted the new temporary name.

Overall it’s been a pretty decent and easy transition. Obviously there's been resistance, but the vast majority have welcomed the name.

6 hours ago, HailGoldPants said:

I’d like to see the new name start with R, but not Redtails or Redwolves. I’ve always thought the name Roughriders with maybe some sort of Teddy Roosevelt motif would be cool, but I don’t think that would fly with the CFL team of the same name. Plus, the name would not be original.

I’m actually more concerned that the rebrand will come with some sort of new uniform abomination. I love the team’s unis (with the addition of gold pants) and would hate to see them stray away too far from the current look.

As far as a name starting with R? I’d wonder if an identity involving Renegades would be accepted on the condition that it mimics the current temporary logos

For the uniforms, I love the current style, but if they want to focus on team tradition and history, I’d suggest do a little bit of merging between past uniforms.

The team should consider over the shoulder stripes similar to this-

spacer.png

Bring back the helmet stripes and swap the numbers color to white like this-

spacer.png

Always have three stripes on the pants. Including a new pair of white pants to match the gold pants. Relegate the burgundy pants to an alternate away option-

spacer.png

• Like 4

So barring some out-of-left-field surprise, like when Warren Sapp leaked that the Bucs were getting new unis despite nothing being mentioned prior, we aren't getting anything of note for 2021.  Maybe a patch here and there, maybe some tweaks to the WFT helmet (though nothing even hinted at by the team), but no full overhauls.  Pretty dull offseason.

• Like 8

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, Chromatic said:

This is a bit hyperbolic. The only thing that really makes the Bengals uniforms as bad as they are is the inexplicable side panel. Aside from that while the uniforms aren't perfect they aren't fundamentally flawed like some.

The number font? The side panels? The excessive striping? The Bengals have a good helmet. I’ll give them that. 

EDIT: You had already mentioned the side panels, about which we agree. I meant to say drop shadows on the numbers. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I agree with this. However, I’d also add on by saying anything starting with “Red” is as much of a copout as what the current name is. To satisfy the fanbase, I’d argue they need to get as close as possible to the old name as they can. “Warriors” would be the choice for this. The problem is, they need to get as far away from ‘formerly known as’ as possible to not cause any backlash.

Bottom line, stay as far away from the old name as possible.

Warriors is such a generic name though. I’d like something that nobody else in Big 4 sports leagues uses. 

• Like 3

Just now, MCM0313 said:

The number font? The side panels? The excessive striping? The Bengals have a good helmet. I’ll give them that. 

Oh no... not the BENGALS using TIGER stripes 😳🤯Oh My God Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

I fail to see the “excessive” amount of striping you claim to see.

spacer.png
There’s a tasteful amount of it all around. Now, if they went bonkers with it on top of the shoulders, down the sides of the jerseys, and on the socks, THEN there’d be an issue.

FFIW, I do agree with the removal of the side panels and an alteration to the number font.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1