2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

Maybe they should have just used the guitar pick here...I do agree with @AFirestormToPurify that this Preds jersey would have been at least decent without the giant SMASHVILLE mucking things up.  As it is now, though, this jersey makes me want to make another My Hero Academia reference.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I prefer the Smashville wordmark to actually fit in the yellow stripe, and the yellow stripe itself to be shrink down a little. That way, it gives the C patch a breathing space instead of being squashed terribly.

Actually, the more I look at the jersey, the more I notice a load of design flaws it has. Creative, yes, but the rest is a disasterpiece by its own right. This and the Turdburger should be a reminder of how NOT to design a jersey. Especially when it comes to one-offs and alternates.

Why has no one draw the line between tasteful and ugly when it comes to Stadium Series designs?

• Like 4

We've seen bad jerseys before but Smashville is unique in that it looks technically incompetent instead of just being a mere bad idea; like a ton of mistakes were made in the process of printing the jersey. The wordmark in particular looks less like a deliberate design choice and more like the person making it screwed the entire thing up and couldn't fix it in time.

It actually looks worse the more I see it; this morning I thought it was merely "bad" but now I'm with a lot of y'all, it's a genuine W.o.a.T. candidate.

• Like 6

That Perds jersey.... what a mess. 

1. Smashville on the front, but broken up into two words stacked on top of one another, and the lettering doesn't even fit into the chest stripe. Had they outlined the letters, they'd look better. 

2. The font choice feels weird and doesn't fit them at all. 

3. Why the guitar pick logo in the middle of said letters? And also, rotate the stars in said logo so they match the Tennesee flag, please. 

4. The white numbers that stick out like a sore thumb. 

• Like 9

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

10 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Okay, who is the paste-eater that thought putting Smashville on a jersey wouldn’t be cringe on the level of the Gordon’s Fisherman Isles jersey?

Don't you dare put the fisherman in this category!

• Like 4

IMO a nickname should NEVER be used on a jersey, but apart from that the Tampa jersey is alright.  The first thing I thought of was those old Canada jerseys with the big leaf.  I would prefer the bottom bolt moved up slightly so it's more obvious it's a bolt...the tiny white area will probably be covered by arms / pants.

1DA1dg2.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

It’s way worse than the fisherman. 

Yeah, at least with the fisherman they were trying to be original and were creative with the logo & striping, It was obviously a jarring change from what they wore before, which is the main reason it was so hated. 

The Preds just took their Winter Classic design, made the base blue, and tried to come up with a more "bold" wordmark for the chest stripe.

2 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

That Perds jersey.... what a mess. 

1. Smashville on the front, but broken up into two words stacked on top of one another, and the lettering doesn't even fit into the chest stripe. Had they outlined the letters, they'd look better. 

2. The font choice feels weird and doesn't fit them at all. 

The idea was to reference vintage country music posters like this with the font:

spacer.png

I get the thinking, but the execution is awful. Yes, the posters used mis-matching fonts, but not in the same word.

• Like 10

The Lightning should be the Chargers of the NHL and I don't know why they're not. Other than their pants stripe they remain committed to being a more boring and ripped off version of the Leafs. I don't get it. I don't like the nickname on a jersey, but actually using lightning bolt imagery to decorate the sweater is a step in the right direction. 

the SMASHVILLE jersey might be the worst NHL uniform this century. 

• Like 9

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, _RH_ said:

60kTeGL.jpg

When I finally noticed that the “S’s” and the numbers were different sizes and fonts this jersey went from a “1 cause it’s boring and weird at the same time” to a “-3 because holy crap that’s awful…”

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Yeah, at least with the fisherman they were trying to be original and were creative with the logo & striping, It was obviously a jarring change from what they wore before, which is the main reason it was so hated. 

The Preds just took their Winter Classic design, made the base blue, and tried to come up with a more "bold" wordmark for the chest stripe.

The idea was to reference vintage country music posters like this with the font:

spacer.png

I get the thinking, but the execution is awful. Yes, the posters used mis-matching fonts, but not in the same word.

Yea what they did, just comes off to me like its trying to look like the 90s, or a 20 year old interns idea of what the 90s was.

Before these dropped the BASS podcast was going to do an All-Time Big Four Alternate Jersey Hall of Failure, so I've been looking up some of the worst thirds in sports history, and I mean, I don't know how I don't give it to this.

I mean this is probably the worst:

0414-atl-3rdretire.png

Then there's this guy:

canucks3(1).jpg

And these:

ny_g_islanders_cr_576.jpg

But I feel like those are even mildly superior to the Smashville disgraces.  It's a close thing.

• Like 3
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter