2021-2022 NHL Jersey Changes

squamfan

This Canucks-Flames game is a very good looking game. The last time these two teams looked like this was the 1994 playoffs with Bure beating Mike Vernon to send the Canucks into the second round... Dare I say, I would be okay if the Canucks brought the flying skate back full time, if not full time, then as the alternate. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

This Canucks-Flames game is a very good looking game. The last time these two teams looked like this was the 1994 playoffs with Bure beating Mike Vernon to send the Canucks into the second round... Dare I say, I would be okay if the Canucks brought the flying skate back full time, if not full time, then as the alternate. 

cut.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 3

zzPEfBm.png

20 minutes ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I can't be the only one who thinks these Canucks jerseys are meh? Once a year, fine. I prefer the Canucks in blue and green

Agreed, not a great color set for a team from Vancouver and not to mention the colors of their biggest rival.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, AFirestormToPurify said:

I can't be the only one who thinks these Canucks jerseys are meh? Once a year, fine. I prefer the Canucks in blue and green

Its an okay look, but its too similar to  Vegas, Pittsburgh, Boston, Calgary, etc. Its definitely a look I think you can have too much of.

Meanwhile the blue and green looks wonderful, is unique, and really fits Vancouver. The Canucks kicked off the trend of PNW wearing blue and green, the reason they abandoned them in the first place is because they wanted to look more aggressive, or as people today would describe it ":censored:ing fire bro". While they're at it they might as well get the people behind the Oregon Ducks to rebrand them. 

I remain convinced the reason so many people clamour for these is 1. Nostalgia and 2. Grass-is-Greenerism. I distinctly remember during the original navy, royal and maroon orca days everyone wanted the blue and green jerseys to come back, and the stick in rink jerseys were all the rage.  There was no groundswell demanding the skate at all. Now that they're in blue and green all the time the skate becomes the new exotic throwback everyone's hyped for.

The Canucks finally have a strong, cohesive look. I've made my feelings on the orca known and I don't want this thread to turn into the billionth Canucks argument, but the reason they have identity issues is because they keep oscillating between them. They need to stop.

• Like 4

Plus, Canucks ownership has stuck with the orca for this long, I severely doubt they ever switch to the Skate full-time again. If anything, I'd actually like to see them do either a 2000's throwback sweater or go old-school and make an alt explicitly based on the WHL Canucks, front number + name and all.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I haven't been this proud to be a Canucks fan in an extremely long time until last night. Not only because the Canucks thrashed a longtime divisional rival but they looked great in doing it too. For me, the return of the black Skate uniform wasn't so much about the beautiful black, red and yellow colour scheme. It was about the Canucks wearing a Canucks hockey crest with the classic block font instead of the corporately-inspired Orca with the cheap Checkmark in Rink and bland Agency font. Many, many fans want the black Skate back full-time. If it did, I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep. However, even as a huge Skate supporter, the Canucks can't keep leapfrogging back-and-forth between colour schemes. The BC-themed blue and green scheme needs to stay. It was very wrong to ditch them in the first place. However, the Orca has long overstayed its welcome and the Checkmark in Rink is a bastardized of the classic Stick in Rink.

Here's what the Canucks can do to unite the majority of the fan base:

Option 1: A recoloured Skate in navy blue, white and green as the primary crest. I would even make the Skate level to avoid the downhill criticism. Navy blue is intimidating and with the green, it maintains the BC look. The Hartford Whalers are long gone and no other NHL franchise uses the beautiful blue and green look. Johnny Canuck would be on the shoulders and as the primary on a green 3rd...similar to AHL Abbotsford.

Option 2: Keep the Skate in black, yellow and red as what the overwhelming majority want but only as a regular 3rd. In order to keep the blue and green as the primary colour scheme, make the original Stick in Rink the primary home and away crest. Johnny Canuck on the shoulders of all jerseys in respective colours.

There are a number of good options but we Canucks fans need to be flexible. The only dealbreakers are the corporately-inspired Orca, Checkmark in Rink and cheap Agency font.

I'm fine with the Canucks using the Orca as their logo.

The Stick N Rink is better suited as a shoulder patch, even the updated one. It's nice that they're still using it.

The updated Johnny Canuck logos should be used on a heritage jersey for throwback nights. The franchise doesn't want to use a pre-NHL look as their main brand focus, moving forward.

The red, yellow, black era and the navy, maroon, silver, royal blue era, both were fads from specific time periods. Blue and green feels like the right scheme to stick with, in the modern era where we have the tools to update classic looks.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I still can’t believe they are pushing the triangle-less Penguin… This jersey would look so much better with that extra pop of yellow on the shoulders. It’s lacking currently. 

Also this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think the Preds look a little better than the Lightning tonight. The yellow buckets and socks look really, really good, and even the 3 stars on the side of the helmet works. The Bolts logo on the helmet doesn’t look great, and it feels like something a little different could have been done with the socks. Those feel like they match the Preds jersey better. If there was a normal logo instead of “SMaShViLle” on the front it would be a lot better…

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Both uniforms get an F from me for the stupid trend of having a logo on only one side of the helmet.

It looks like :censored: in football and it looked like :censored: here.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

22 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

I still can’t believe they are pushing the triangle-less Penguin… This jersey would look so much better with that extra pop of yellow on the shoulders. It’s lacking currently. 

This x1000. The penguin is just black and white and the triangle actually represents the city and just isn’t there for background noise.

• Like 1
KISSwall09.jpg

On 2/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, AFirestormToPurify said:

No, you're not the only one. The two jersey eras that succeeded it are far superior.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)