Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

NHL Reverse Retro>MLB City Connect

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just sad that they wheeled this program out just when the league has come to look as good as it has looked in a loooong time. Just put the jerseys up on the monopoly website that Fanatics has, and if people like them, they will buy them.

On 8/17/2021 at 8:37 PM, schlim said:

If the concerns that upset you involve the people you think you're upsetting need to google to figure out what you're upset about, it may not be as universal as you think.

class2.png

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/19/2021 at 2:17 PM, Popmart said:

spacer.png

Nice sweatpants, bruh.

I'm of the opinion that all teams should wear socks instead of pants over the heel, and this is why.

The Angels The Dodgers... yeah that "the" thrown in there really connects with the city.

:censored:ing morons...

22 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

The Angels The Dodgers... yeah that "the" thrown in there really connects with the city.

:censored:ing morons...

Have they thrown in Los Angeles on the City Connect branding or are people just making things up to be mad about?

That said, the "Los Team Name" thing is pretty played out. Don't mind the all blue but not a particularly inspired theme and the spray paint thing seems pointless.

21 hours ago, Cujo said:

Everything Reebok did to the NFL and NHL > MLB City Connect

Eh... many of the Edge uniforms were absolute trash.  At least the MLB City Connect jerseys are only a few times a year.  Some teams (albeit they agreed to it) were saddled with complete crap for years.

With NFL, I'm not even sure if we know that RBK's design department had a hand in the changes that happened under their watch.  Hell - we know for fact that they didn't even make the uniforms.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 8/20/2021 at 10:22 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

This is the first time the Nike mark has bothered me. It really stands out against the blue.

it's done it's job then. But seriously, couldn't Los Dodgers have thrown in a single white stripe on the pants and white belts? Or just make the LA on the cap red with a white drop shadow?  This City Connect uni is just a low hanging fruit-y mess. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

On 8/19/2021 at 10:16 AM, shstpt1 said:

The "Los Team Name" thing has been stupid for years now, and this is just as stupid.  Using black to represent "colorful" street art is also dumb (cough Marlins black unis cough).......but the hat just takes it to another level of stupidity.

On 8/19/2021 at 11:00 AM, CS85 said:

"Let's add some paint to the sleeves to reflect the colorful paint that adorns the streets of Los Angeles!"

"Sounds great boss!"

puts black paint splatter on a deep blue uniform

I was going to say the same thing - why wouldn't you make it red - a Dodgers color, and something that would, you know......represent colorful spray paint instead of......black?

I’m in San Francisco for the Brewers series, and their City Connect uniforms are being absolutely savaged by the local press and fans alike.   Lots of people at the ballpark overheard talking about how “ugly”, “stupid”, and “pointless” the uniforms are. 

Last night the post-game radio team was crowing that since the Giants finally lost in them, maybe the team can stop wearing the things. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Last night the post-game radio team was crowing that since the Giants finally lost in them, maybe the team can stop wearing the things. 

That's not up to the team to decide. Their Nike overlords call the shots and you can expect them to force the Giants to continue wearing them for a weekend each month.

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

That's not up to the team to decide. Their Nike overlords call the shots and you can expect them to force the Giants to continue wearing them for a weekend each month.

Nobody has any illusions about the promotion itself.    But the negative response was really surprising to me. 

And FWIW, they don’t seem to be selling that many.  Three nights at the ballpark and I’ve seen almost none in the stands.  

1 hour ago, Marlins93 said:

Are we really going to pretend that teams don't control their own fate again? The Giants are choosing to wear their City Connect uniform multiple times, nobody is telling them to do it, it's all on the team. Please remember that it's absolutely possible for teams to make stupid decisions with their uniforms on their own. Aside from the Giants and White Sox, I don't think I've seen any team use their City Connect uniform for a second game.

Just remember this is Major League Baseball and there will be pushback if it tries to get too stupid. It happened with Players Weekend and may very well happen again.

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Nobody has any illusions about the promotion itself.    But the negative response was really surprising to me. 

And FWIW, they don’t seem to be selling that many.  Three nights at the ballpark and I’ve seen almost none in the stands.  

I can at least understand why a fan would buy some of the other CC jerseys. The Giants one is so vastly inferior to their regular jerseys that nobody wants one. The cream homes look 1000x better than the white and orange

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Are we really going to pretend that teams don't control their own fate again? The Giants are choosing to wear their City Connect uniform multiple times, nobody is telling them to do it, it's all on the team. Please remember that it's absolutely possible for teams to make stupid decisions with their uniforms on their own. Aside from the Giants and White Sox, I don't think I've seen any team use their City Connect uniform for a second game.

Just remember this is Major League Baseball and there will be pushback if it tries to get too stupid. It happened with Players Weekend and may very well happen again.

What do you mean it happened for players weekend? I still remember every team trotting out in ingot uniforms those weekends. If you mean they stopped making special uniforms for it and replaced it with city connect jerseys because they weren’t selling sure. And the NBA has shown Nike will control when teams wear what uniforms.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

What do you mean it happened for players weekend? I still remember every team trotting out in ingot uniforms those weekends. If you mean they stopped making special uniforms for it and replaced it with city connect jerseys because they weren’t selling sure. And the NBA has shown Nike will control when teams wear what uniforms.

The 2019 Players Weekend was universally hated. The Cubs wore their regular hats for one game before the league told them to stop. Now there is no more Players Weekend because nobody liked it.

sportsbbncubsplayersweekendget6215892299

Baseball is probably the only sport where uniforms are so scrutinized. This isn't the NBA. This is a different game and a different aesthetic standard for uniforms.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived