Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

18 minutes ago, dont care said:

Proper nouns don’t get translated, how many times does it need to be said?

But then what's the point? The jerseys usually say Bulls or Dodgers, not The Bulls or The Dodgers. These are generally just a lazy attempt at selling jerseys aimed at Spanish-speakers

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, dont care said:

That so?

D_ZEAl8XkAA7OF_.jpg:large

24 minutes ago, sportsfan7 said:

But then what's the point? The jerseys usually say Bulls or Dodgers, not The Bulls or The Dodgers. These are generally just a lazy attempt at selling jerseys aimed at Spanish-speakers

Bingo.  It's just pandering.  At least use what's already being sold on the MLB Shop.

ff_4279392-bd3c3a4d6f69a69494aaalt1_full

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, dont care said:

But then it's an incorrect translation. You don't see the team walking around with "The Bulls" on their jerseys, which is essentially what "Los Bulls" or "Los Dodgers" is doing. 

And just because it's a proper noun doesn't mean you can't translate it's non-proper equivalent. Like what the Giants have done on occasion. 

spacer.png

I'm loathe to give the Giants credit for anything, but the above is sure as hell better than "Los Dodgers" or "Los Bulls".  Toros on a Bulls jersey is a hell of a lot better. 

I think word etymology has a role here; to use an NHL example, "Los Yotes"/"Los Coyotes" is fine since...well, "coyote" in itself is already a Spanish word (borrowed from Nahuatl, but still); but something like "Los Leafs" or "Los Rangers" just sounds really friggin' dumb. 

That's also why I like that the Sharks use the proper "Los Tiburones" as their Spanish name instead of the much dumber "Los Sharks".

6 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Which again begs the question...

Which again raises the question...

http://begthequestion.info

On more substances matters, I don't think that we can say that the City Connect uniforms have been all good or all bad. Miami did a throwback-inspired uniform, adopting the aesthetic of another team. For me that is the best of the bunch, in that it is better than the team's regular uniform, and ranks second in team history behind only the original 1993 uniforms as the best ever.

The White Sox took another approach, doing a sort of remix of their current identity. If I were to consider dark-coloured pants and reverse pinstripes in the abstract, I would be horrified. Yet I think that the White Sox' City Connect uniforms look superb, especially when worn with a white belt. And the cap stays well within the team's established aesthetic.  I wouldn't want to see these uniforms every day (as opposed to the Marlins' City Connect uniforms, which I would welcome as the everyday set). But this is a rare example of an alt uniform that I really like.

For the Giants' uniforms, I suppose I will give the team credit for trying.  I like the bridge idea, and I guess I will take their word for it that the orange is a different shade from the normal shade. I also think that the orange-on-white colour scheme looks very nice. (Though thinking about a potential road version of that uniform gives me unpleasant B.C. Lions orange-on-black

thoughts.)

But the "fog" ruins the whole thing. That alone brings the grade on execution from an solid A down to a D-, just above failing.

Then there are the abject failures, a category which was inaugurated by the Red Sox, and which now includes the Dodgers, for two opposite reasons.

The Red Sox' colours and lettering are so immediately identifiable. They should have used the lettering to put some other name on the front of their uniforms, such as "Beantown", or something along those lines. By totally turning their backs on their colours and script, they earn the lowest possible grade of F-triple-minus to the power of googolplex.

The Dodgers stuck with their colours and identity. But, unlike the White Sox, they did nothing interesting with them. The Dodgers could have used other colours, invoking the powerful imagery of Hollywood. Here I am not talking about doing throwbacks to the PCL Hollywood Stars. But some movie-related or Oscar-related design was there for the doing, and the team blew it.

6 hours ago, dont care said:
7 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

It reminds me of the NBA's half assed attempts to do that.  Los Bulls 🙄 

No matter how many times it's said, it's wrong.

The Dominican clubs the Águilas Cibaeñas and the Tigres de Licey are known in English as the Cibao Eagles and the Licey Tigers, respectively.

Similarly, the Mexican club called the Diablos Rojos del México is referred to in English as the Mexico City Reds. Similarly, another team that used to play in the capital, the former Tigres del México (now Tigres de Quintana Roo) was called the Mexico City Tigers in English.

Finally, the Puerto Rican club the Cangrejeros de Santurce is called by English speakers the Santurce Crabbers.

In Major League Baseball we have seen Gigantes and Cerveceros. And, when I was a kid, the Angels were typically referred to as los Serafines in Spanish-language media, though this is less common today.

So in the NBA we should have seen Toros uniforms.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Right!?

If they ever get this travesty down to San Diego (fingers crossed the junk it next year and don't foist this bull :censored: on everyone else), I half expect the jersey to say "Stay Classy" on the front. Not realizing that movie sucked ass and wasn't even filmed here. 

Hey, it could be worse... they could trot out in jerseys that say "Whale's Vagina" while playing the Brewers in jerseys that say "Bark Twice." 

52 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Dodgers stuck with their colours and identity. But, unlike the White Sox, they did nothing interesting with them. The Dodgers could have used other colours, invoking the powerful imagery of Hollywood. Here I am not talking about doing throwbacks to the PCL Hollywood Stars. But some movie-related or Oscar-related design was there for the doing, and the team blew it.

Nothing is official yet...

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Dodgers leak.

E84rquIVkAAisLo?format=jpg&name=large

Since it’s Nike, I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess the black pattern at the ends of the sleeves are the outlines of palm trees. 

This is such a lazy attempt. I thought Nike would gone “Hollywood Swingers” here. 

Edit: Nevermind, I’m wrong and have no clue what Nike is doing here. The pattern on the socks is probably what is on the jersey. 

NYCdog.png

Seeing the Dodger's LaBrea uniforms had me going like 🤮

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

On 8/11/2021 at 2:37 PM, PlayGloria said:

The Los Angeles the Dodgers

or translated even further:

The The Angels The Dodgers

I honestly hate every teams attempt at shoving a "los" in front of their name in order to connect with their proximity to Mexico. It's lazy at this point.

It's a guy telling a waiter "el bring-o me my el food-o" but framed as a DEI initiative. Sometimes I just want to clutch my head and scream.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

It's a guy telling a waiter "el bring-o me my el food-o" but framed as a DEI initiative. Sometimes I just want to clutch my head and scream.

If the concerns that upset you involve the people you think you're upsetting need to google to figure out what you're upset about, it may not be as universal as you think.

But thanks for making me google DEI. Now I know.

Archived