European Super League

I'm seeing way too many people on social media say "props to Man City and Chelsea for listening to the fans and pulling out."

No! They deserve no props, because they were just as willing to make this Super League happen as every other team. They're just trying to save face after the backlash was way way more than they expected. Props to Bayern, Dortmund, and PSG, who told the ESL no from the start. Props to FIFA and UEFA (I hate saying that) for coming out as strong as they did against it. Props to all the governments - UK, France, Germany, Spain, and more - that pledged to do everything they could to fight it. We shouldn't be celebrating the clubs who were all in with this until it became financially unwise to continue.

ExJworW.png

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I'm seeing way too many people on social media say "props to Man City and Chelsea for listening to the fans and pulling out."

No! They deserve no props, because they were just as willing to make this Super League happen as every other team. They're just trying to save face after the backlash was way way more than they expected. Props to Bayern, Dortmund, and PSG, who told the ESL no from the start. Props to FIFA and UEFA (I hate saying that) for coming out as strong as they did against it. Props to all the governments - UK, France, Germany, Spain, and more - that pledged to do everything they could to fight it. We shouldn't be celebrating the clubs who were all in with this until it became financially unwise to continue.

Agreed, nobody who was slated to be in the ESL deserves an ounce of credit. Doing the right thing only after massive backlash isn't admirable in the least.

I say this as a very casual Everton fan, that the idea of the ESL is kind of intriguing and I wonder had no team decided to fold if soccer fans would've clinched their teeth and tuned in anyways, just to see their favorite teams go toe to toe with the best. Sure, having The Big Four regress into The Big Six is swell, but the more teams that can gain titles, the more intriguing it would seem to a bigger array of fans from various teams. Just a thought. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

What a damn shame. A chance for the clubs that are directly responsible for the enormous global popularity of football to actually take control, defeated by mobs of braying fools.

Of course, this is far from the first time that the masses have acted against their own interests. But it is lamentable, nevertheless. Every one of these pitchfork-and-torch-wielders has forever lost the right to complain about UEFA and FIFA.

The big clubs will now just have to stick to making their leagues better (as they have been doing for decades, to the benefits of fans). Toppling UEFA will have to wait for another day.

Pin by BANZ Carewear for kids. on Banzee and Bubzee's Jungle Friends |  Surfing, Alligator, Cute baby animals

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Super League has officially been suspended. 

Good riddance.

Now the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A (and their respective football associations) need to punish the clubs who attempted this. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Presumably part of the weregeld for moving the Rams to LA was that he not care about his Denver teams.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

19 minutes ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Good riddance.

Now the Premier League, La Liga and Serie A (and their respective football associations) need to punish the clubs who attempted this. 

I would say any punishment would have to come from UEFA much like how they banned English clubs from European competition in the 80s. 

I saw, I came, I left.

3 hours ago, DEAD! said:

I wondered what Klopp had to say about the Red Sox trading Mookie Betts.... 

“Payroll flexibility” is useless in the current European soccer scheme and that fact gnaws at John Henry, worth $2.8 billion.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Instead of trying to create the European Super League perhaps Stan Kroenke could I don't know.....actually care about the MLS team he owns?

Kroenke:  "I own an MLS club? Well fancy that!"

4 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

Good riddance.

Personally, I'd kick the English teams down to the very bottom of the English soccer pyramid.

4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Is there even anyone on this thread on board with the ESL? I guess we can agree it was a horrible idea and why it took 23 years since the rumors started for anyone to take it seriously.

literally just Ferdinand lmao

31 minutes ago, mcj882000 said:
5 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Is there even anyone on this thread on board with the ESL?

literally just Ferdinand lmao

And I'd like to reaffirm my support for the concept.

What is clear, however, is that this particular attempt was executed in an incompetent fashion, as the planners were unprepared to deal with the backlash. I mentioned in a previous comment that, if the people organising this league do not have a plan to counter the inevitable fallout from their announcement, then they have more money than brains, and they deserve to fail.

And fail they did — this time.

Perhaps next time such a league will be organised by UEFA itself, so we will be spared some of the faux outrage on the part of those skimmers of money that should rightfully be going to the clubs. From the standpoint of principle, that's not as good as a league run by the clubs themselves; but it sure would save a lot of headaches, in terms of not having players spooked by threats of bans.

The sorry saga of this failure illustrates that there first needs to be considerable progress in the culture of fans and supporters. Right now we're still subject to the poisonous irrationality of goofballs who denounce "modern football", by which they mean the influx of super-rich owners. While the big clubs obviously have plenty of fans, there nevertheless exists in England an absurd undercurrent of opinion that there is somehow something bad about teams being rich enough to sign the world's best players. 

When Chelsea were bought by Abramovic, this forced the other Premier League teams to keep pace. It set off an arms race that has led to the arrival to the league of many other rich owners, a process which has raised the stature of several clubs (Man City's presence amongst the global elite is a recent phenomenon), and has cemented the Premier League's status as the world's best league and the dream destination for virtually every elite player, thereby benefiting all clubs' fans. So the dishonest propaganda of the self-declared foes of "modern football" needs to be countered with the truth that the interests of the big clubs align perfectly with the interests of fans.

Once that battle is fought, a European league consisting of the big clubs that are responsible for sustaining football's enormous worldwide popularity will happen. And it will be glorious.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

50 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

When Chelsea were bought by Abramovic, this forced the other Premier League teams to keep pace. It set off an arms race that has led to the arrival to the league of many other rich owners, a process which has raised the stature of several clubs (Man City's presence amongst the global elite is a recent phenomenon), and has cemented the Premier League's status as the world's best league and the dream destination for virtually every elite player, thereby benefiting all clubs' fans. So the dishonest propaganda of the self-declared foes of "modern football" needs to be countered with the truth that the interests of the big clubs align perfectly with the interests of fans.

Except that the ESL would have made it so that it's far less likely for somebody to come in and buy their way to titles the way you want. Like you said, Man City's ascent is recent, and Chelsea's own rise is relatively recent (2004-2005 was their second title ever, the first being back in the 1950's). You form this ESL a decade ago, Man City is locked out of being one of the special elites that get to have a seat at the table. Same for Chelsea two decades ago.

Having an anointed cabal of permanent members is even more corrupt than the goofy-ass college football playoff. Sure, there it's virtually impossible for half the teams to make it, but we also didn't sit down and decide that only Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson (a recently elite school so bad luck if this started a decade ago), and one special extra team were going to participate.

Instead, we got a proposal that decided that some of the best teams right now would get in no matter their place on the table. Not sure how being able to skip over the gross lower class citizens provides us with the best teams. Can the best teams not beat the poors? And again, it's going to be a lot less likely that some billionaire prick is going to buy a club like Crystal Palace and push the envelope of what makes financial sense if six teams in their league are automatically ahead of them just because.

Even Liverpool had lost its lustre not that long ago and FSG had saved the day (at least for a little while). For all the pluses and minuses of a traditionally mediocre club like Leicester or Man City moving from community club to waves of foreign money ... I think it was an Athletic piece about this that said FSG et al were pulling up the drawbridge after already having crossed.

And at some point the relentless pushing of commerce overshadows even the best football on the pitch. We might be there already even without ESL. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Archived