MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

Just now, McCall said:

Yes, being only one stripe on either sleeve was awkward and looked forced. That is the issue.

However, I think adding more powder blue to the primary alternate jersey (royal blue) would feel even more forced than it already was considering it's nowhere on the primary home and aways. So removing it was the best option.

That's a good point about it not also being on the home and aways. That said, I think it would be smart for the Rangers to add it to the entire mix as an accent color. It would give a much-needed extra dimension to a look that could really use it.

On 6/12/2022 at 9:42 AM, adsarebad said:

Why is that?

If they play in that area, what is wrong with it?

It's kind of like if the Braves started calling themselves the Unincorporated Cobb County Braves or the Atlanta Braves of Unincorporated Cobb County

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

But haven't they already? I mean, they've got a head-to-toe powder blue alt in their rotation. If anything, it seems that by including it on the trim they were at least acknowledging powder blue has a place within its official color palette. 

It feels like, more often than not, we criticize teams for making use of a tertiary color that isn't part of normal color scheme. I'm thinking about the age-old (and, frankly, tired) argument against gray facemasks in the NFL. At least in the Rangers case, the older version of those navy uniforms acknowledged the full depth of the club's colors.

If there's a criticism I'd make, it's that they should incorporate it more fully rather than removing it altogether.  

I think it's the complete opposite of what you're describing here. They shouldn't have any blue anywhere else if they want to treat it like gray facemarks in the NFL. I'm fine with a powder blue alt (I think the hats probably go too far but whatever) but don't want to see it used on other uniforms. If teams want to use it like a neutral color then it shouldn't be shoehorned in everywhere else. If they actually want it to be a color in the scheme then they need to fully commit like you said. What they did with the piping was the worst option IMO.

• Like 3

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

47 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

It's kind of like if the Braves started calling themselves the Unincorporated Cobb County Braves or the Atlanta Braves of Unincorporated Cobb County

I'd be down for Cobb County Braves, but only if they play the Big Boss Man theme at the beginning of every home game.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

jNTsTyQ.png

On 6/10/2022 at 2:40 PM, plobrien said:

Disagree there. California should never been used for a professional sports team name here, same with the Golden State name.

1) Los Angeles

2) Anaheim

Those are the only two options. 

The thing is, going with the name Angels is already a nod to the team playing in LA. If you translate "The California Angels" into Spanish it is literally "Los Angeles de California".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm going to disagree with that sentiment.

It is mostly changing the name on the front to Southside but for a section of town that takes a lot of garbage, not just locally from North Side and suburban residents but on a national level, to openly proclaim yourself the Southside meant a lot. 

It wasn't mentioned in the reveal but the reverse pins also drew a lot of comps locally to the Chicago American Giants who represented Black Chicago and played only a few yards away from 35th and Shields.

To blend in with that the association with the Sox brand and its connection to hip hop with the Polo G song in the reveal struck a nerve in terms of pride of place. It's messy because there's a lot of chicken/egg stuff going on since the gothic font has been used by the Sox for ages and that found its way into hip hop and then back into the uniform but its there.

Excellent points, and I thank you for dropping some knowledge on us.

I will amend my assessment of the ChiSox to "drew on several local inspirations to make a beautiful uniform that, to an outsider, might appear as just another alternate set." 

Certainly the team was aware they were not creating something fully unique, and that might dampen outside sales, but the ultimate arbiter is the team's own purchasing base, and I'm guessing in that regard, the money will talk–loudly.

• Like 2

Maybe another look at the Milwaukee's city connect?  The hat looks much more powder instead of the "Milwaukee People's Flag" blue from the past leak. The stitching isn't as great in front but it has the New Era stickers and logo.

vF4AEUp.jpg

hQIF3Bp.jpg

from Hatstore

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sitboaf said:

Excellent points, and I thank you for dropping some knowledge on us.

I will amend my assessment of the ChiSox to "drew on several local inspirations to make a beautiful uniform that, to an outsider, might appear as just another alternate set." 

Certainly the team was aware they were not creating something fully unique, and that might dampen outside sales, but the ultimate arbiter is the team's own purchasing base, and I'm guessing in that regard, the money will talk–loudly.

It's an interesting story because the Sox explicitly wanted a set that they would be able to use as an alternate for many years. They wanted to design something that would emotionally resonate with Sox fans generally and South Side fans explicitly. That being said, I don't think they remotely anticipated that it would resonate with the fanbase like wind on the Tacoma Narrows bridge.

dis GIF

At least if we measure fan resonance with a design by completely selling out of jerseys/tshirts/sweatshirts with an hour of being offered for sale and the consistent presence of them on the street and at the ballpark.

9 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I'm going to disagree with that sentiment.

It is mostly changing the name on the front to Southside but for a section of town that takes a lot of garbage, not just locally from North Side and suburban residents but on a national level, to openly proclaim yourself the Southside meant a lot. 

It wasn't mentioned in the reveal but the reverse pins also drew a lot of comps locally to the Chicago American Giants who represented Black Chicago and played only a few yards away from 35th and Shields.

To blend in with that the association with the Sox brand and its connection to hip hop with the Polo G song in the reveal struck a nerve in terms of pride of place. It's messy because there's a lot of chicken/egg stuff going on since the gothic font has been used by the Sox for ages and that found its way into hip hop and then back into the uniform but its there.

I live on the northside, but my grandpa was a southsider from Bridgeport. Obviously his time was way before hip hop, but no one can accuse the Sox of missing the plot here. They doubled down on everything about their identity that made them connect with the southside in the first place.

• Like 2

I preferred the Rangers blue alt to have that little powder blue stripe on the sleeve with the white and red. It gave it a little contrast and made it more unique. It looks more bland and boring with just the white and red now. JMO

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

Maybe another look at the Milwaukee's city connect?  The hat looks much more powder instead of the "Milwaukee People's Flag" blue from the past leak. The stitching isn't as great in front but it has the New Era stickers and logo.

vF4AEUp.jpg

hQIF3Bp.jpg

from Hatstore

Guessing its the difference in quality between a professional render and a pic someone took woth their camera phone.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Brewers have been wearing the gold front panel cap for all road games this year.

Yes - I thought the yellow panel hat was only a road hat?

It's where I sit.

41 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Yes - I thought the yellow panel hat was only a road hat?

Seems to be the case for this season.  However, I don't believe they've worn the navy jersey at home yet.  I don't know if they will, but that jersey has always been worn with the yellow panel hat.

11 hours ago, mjd77 said:

Seems to be the case for this season.  However, I don't believe they've worn the navy jersey at home yet.  I don't know if they will, but that jersey has always been worn with the yellow panel hat.

Gray and Navy with gold paneled cap - road only.

Cream and Pinstripes with navy cap - home only.

• Like 1

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png