MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

On 3/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

It's an odd quirk of design with one-color marks on items alongside multi-color logos.   Do you go with the most prominent color in the logo, or the outtermost, since that's what was chosen to sit on the background color?   The white maker's mark was what Majestic also went with at least from the late 00's on.   Similar things play out on caps (Minnesota, Boston, Seattle, Colorado).

Russell and Rawlings both went with blue and, while it is a better and more fitting choice, it's also hard to see. That alone is probably why Majestic, Nike and New Era on the hats went with white.

1626365270491.jpeg

• Like 2

XM4KeeA.png

Not that it matters a whole lot, but the Rockies’ NE mark on the hat is silver, and I’m guessing the same for the M’s. Using the team color instead of boring white is a good choice for contrast.

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

8 hours ago, Glover said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but it looks like someone may have talked some sense into the Guardians with the fonts of the NOB. This looks so much better than using the custom font used in the second picture. 

I’m just annoyed that we’ll have to look harder to properly archive the “CLEVELAND” font. Ah well, let’s hope the Guardians do the same thing the Brewers did and use their new font as a web font.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, walkerws said:

Thaat may just be spring training gear that doesn't have the updated fonts available. Either way is fine to me. The standard MLB Block does have a slight edge though with some odder naming conventions

I kind of want to see the NOB in mono-color (plain blue or plain white) just as a way to distinguish it from the stylized fonts.

By having it in the same color schema (red outlined in white), my eyes want to see the NOB and the number as being the same font, even though they aren't.

If I were to make a suggestion, it would be to scrap the outlined lettering for a more plain design to highlight that it is different.

• Like 2

So will all 30 clubs have "City" editions this year and the clubs that had "City" sets last year will be retained?

I always love guessing on the NBA edition sets so I'll try for MLB.

Atlanta- Navy 70's Hank Aaron Fauxback

Washington- Cream Senators Fauxback

Philadelphia- Maroon Liberty Bell Inspired

Cincinnati- White w/Red Pinstripes Fauxback

Milwaukee- Royal Blue County Stadium Inspired

St. Louis -White Honoring Stan Musial (Cardinals follow Lakers of NBA who dedicate City editions to past players)

Pittsburgh- Black w/Yellow Pinstripes Fauxback

Colorado- Dark Green and Purple Rocky Mountain Inspired

San Diego- Brown 80's Fauxback

Baltimore- Black & Orange Earl Weaver Fauxback

New York- White/w Pinstripes 1927 Fauxback

Tampa Bay- Dark Green 1998 Fauxback

Toronto- Red Honoring Canada

Cleveland - Brown & Orange honoring the Browns

Detroit- Cream 1920's Fauxback

Kansas City- White w/Red honoring Kansas City Monarchs

Minnesota- Purple Prince Inspired

California -Navy 1980's Fauxback

Houston -Orange Astrodome Inspired

Oakland- Monochrome Green honoring Charlie Finley

Seattle- Blue & Gold 1980's Fauxback

Texas- Blue & Red 1980's Fauxback

• Hurl 1
  • Dislike 2

10 minutes ago, ThunderCeltic said:

So will all 30 clubs have "City" editions this year and the clubs that had "City" sets last year will be retained?

St. Louis -White Honoring Stan Musial (Cardinals follow Lakers of NBA who dedicate City editions to past players)

No. Unless something's changed, the way it was originally announced, the City Connect program is a slow roll out over three years, so a few more teams than last season (I'm guessing 11-12 total) will debut theirs this year, and the remaining teams will unveil theirs in 2023. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderCeltic said:

San Diego is a no based on their Miami vice-esq socks, also these are city connect uniforms, none will be fauxbacks

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 10:40 AM, Glover said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but it looks like someone may have talked some sense into the Guardians with the fonts of the NOB. This looks so much better than using the custom font used in the second picture. 

The Ramirez isn't... too bad.   Bieber looks worst thanks to every letter but one having the serif at the top.   All of them next to each other looks so cluttered and discordant.   But I like the more plain font.   There's plenty of precedent for it and it's a nice nod to the past.   Of course, I'm a NNOB guy, but it is what it is.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:36 PM, insert name said:

Russell and Rawlings both went with blue and, while it is a better and more fitting choice, it's also hard to see. That alone is probably why Majestic, Nike and New Era on the hats went with white.

1626365270491.jpeg

The same reason why no matter what the rest of the set looks like, the plack piping on the black jersey just doesn't belong.   It blends in.   Sometimes you gotta break the rules, like the random silver on the Atlanta navy alt.   Just looks the best.

On 3/14/2022 at 4:13 PM, WSU151 said:

Not that it matters a whole lot, but the Rockies’ NE mark on the hat is silver, and I’m guessing the same for the M’s. Using the team color instead of boring white is a good choice for contrast.

Colorado's appears white on the website.   Seattle's looks... kinda possibly darker.   But it may be just such a light silver that it's hard to see in that photo.

Looking at the collection, it appears that the rule is generally that if you have a single-colored insignia, the logo is the same color (Yankees white, Mets orange, Braves white, Pirates gold).   If the insignia has an outline, the logo is generally the same color (Boston white, Angels white, Cubs white).   There are some random exceptions, probably choices made by the teams on individual basis.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

14 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The same reason why no matter what the rest of the set looks like, the plack piping on the black jersey just doesn't belong.   It blends in.   Sometimes you gotta break the rules, like the random silver on the Atlanta navy alt.   Just looks the best.

While I disagree on the placket piping for the Mets black jersey (I happen to really like it), I agree wholeheartedly that occasionally breaking the rules to make something look right is the way to go.

That's why I prefer the navy on navy version of the Braves road alternate while breaks several of my cardinal rules of design but I always was attracted to regardless.

956270940.jpeg

On 3/14/2022 at 3:36 PM, insert name said:

1626365270491.jpeg

I used to despise these uniforms, but I have grown to appreciate them over the past few years. One of my personal favorite (and I would argue only good) BFBS uniforms.

rAUPGPZ.png

It's neat that they used the brick since there's the warehouse and it's the park that made brick cool again, but it's tough to see how well it actually looks on the actual patch.  Also the "th" in 30th is kinda camouflaged.  Might have been neat to work some green in there too since the green seats are (to me, anyway) one of the defining characteristics of the park.

• Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

30th Anniversary of playing at OPACY

1500x500
spacer.png

Was hoping the O's would bring back the early 90s unis for a throwback weekend, like they did in 2017, but it's not on the promotion schedule.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I've always liked the black uniforms for the Mets. It could be because I am a 90's kid so it was my first conception of them, but the orange and blue on black reminds me of the vibrant NYC lights coming off the buildings at night. It's a fitting colorway considering their moniker. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's neat that they used the brick since there's the warehouse and it's the park that made brick cool again, but it's tough to see how well it actually looks on the actual patch.  Also the "th" in 30th is kinda camouflaged.  Might have been neat to work some green in there too since the green seats are (to me, anyway) one of the defining characteristics of the park.

The brick is legendary and from the look of their past anniversary logos, they know it.   That TH actually looks more distinct compared to the last one.

wny5rwgrqoaobkqy1t2vbuz34.gif7091_baltimore_orioles-stadium-2017.png

• Like 2

spacer.png

spacer.png