MLB 2022 Uniform/Logo Changes

TheGiantsFan

There was a lot of speculation that the Rockies were getting some kind of [partial] rebranding or at least some new stuff just because the owner Dick Monfort told a fan on social media to expect a "new uniform." Some misconstrued this as "new uniforms."

It seems pretty likely now that he was just referring to the City Connect. I'm not sure why we didn't piece that together sooner. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

That’s so stupid. It’s just like the old Super Bowl highlight videos shortening Frank Herzog’s signature call to “Touchdown, Washington!” Changing the name is fine. Changing history isn’t something that can be done. 

Adam Conover responds to criticism of Adam Ruins Everything's reality TV  episode – reality blurred

Soooooo, actually it can? And that's Actually Good. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

We all know it was coming but I'm surprised there isn't more venting and hand-wringing about the fact that ad pitches and helmet decals are officially here.

There's not really anything more that can be said, and it just makes me angry to even think about it so I'm not going to post more about it, until the next time I post about it.

One thing I don't understand is why it had to be collectively bargained, unless the players wanted a cut of a new revenue stream.  I thought that wasn't the case, and that the money was going to the owners (and presumably trickling to the players through the higher CBT, which we all know won't actually happen.)

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

One thing I don't understand is why it had to be collectively bargained, unless the players wanted a cut of a new revenue stream.  I thought that wasn't the case, and that the money was going to the owners (and presumably trickling to the players through the higher CBT, which we all know won't actually happen.)

That’s exactly why it was collectively bargained.  It’s another revenue stream to add to the pot and how’s its split.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

That’s exactly why it was collectively bargained.  It’s another revenue stream to add to the pot and how’s its split.

But since there's no salary cap that can be raised based on a percentage of revenue, how can they "split" it?  Without knowing what the true revenue is, they can't say something like "the luxury tax will be increased by x% of the revenue from ad patches", when they have no idea what x is.  I'd really like to see the actual CBA - I think it would be a fascinating read.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 12/1/2021 at 10:08 AM, Olmec said:

spacer.png

At the very least they couldn't make it blue or orange? Nope, had to be white

It's an odd quirk of design with one-color marks on items alongside multi-color logos.   Do you go with the most prominent color in the logo, or the outtermost, since that's what was chosen to sit on the background color?   The white maker's mark was what Majestic also went with at least from the late 00's on.   Similar things play out on caps (Minnesota, Boston, Seattle, Colorado).

On 12/1/2021 at 1:49 PM, ManillaToad said:

It has nothing to do with "muh tradition muh sanctity" and has everything to do with it looking worse aesthetically. NFL jerseys would look worse with the checkmark on the front instead of the sleeves

NFL uniforms already have some small marks on the chest.   Always a wordmark.   Sometimes others like anniversary patches and the Chiefs' AFL patch.   A tiny swoosh would barely be noticeable in the same location.

On 12/20/2021 at 4:45 PM, spartacat_12 said:

The Angels going with California might have just been to avoid calling themselves "The Angels Angels".

But they were that at their inception.   They went with California because they moved to Anaheim and wanted both markets.   Same reason the Twins went with Minnesota.

On 1/14/2022 at 1:30 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

For the fan who really, and I mean really, "loves" their team...

Men's Los Angeles Dodgers New Era Olive Splatter 59FIFTY Fitted HatMen's Philadelphia Phillies New Era Olive Splatter 59FIFTY Fitted HatMen's New York Yankees New Era Olive Splatter 59FIFTY Fitted HatMen's Detroit Tigers New Era Olive Splatter 59FIFTY Fitted Hat

They've represented every branch of the military.   Time to honor those brave men and women that risk their lives and their lungs painting tanks and jeeps.

On 1/14/2022 at 2:09 PM, Bill0813 said:

Orioles GM Elias confirms 1,000 seats to be removed.  Here are renderings.

Huh...   The ballpark that inspired a thousand ridiculous outfield jogs finally has one of its own.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:25 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

The concept of the ST caps is pretty close to the Marlins' usual aesthetic so their cap is probably one of the best for this style as it's not something out of the box for them. This concept is gonna work great for some teams but not as well for others but thankfully it's not as dumb as so many recent ST/BP designs.

Love the look.   Haven't realized until seeing it now (maybe it's the proportion of this specific logo), but it's funny the team strives to go for a neon light aesthetic when I associate neon in baseball with another team, one in their very division.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 3/12/2022 at 10:18 PM, BBTV said:

But since there's no salary cap that can be raised based on a percentage of revenue, how can they "split" it?  Without knowing what the true revenue is, they can't say something like "the luxury tax will be increased by x% of the revenue from ad patches", when they have no idea what x is.  I'd really like to see the actual CBA - I think it would be a fascinating read.

I don't know exactly why it had to be collectively bargained, as I don't know how much say the players even have over uniforms. The reason the players allowed ads is presumably because it was used as a bargaining chip, because the owners are a bunch of billionaire psychopaths and the only way to assuage them when they don't get everything they want is to give them more money.

• Like 1

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but it looks like someone may have talked some sense into the Guardians with the fonts of the NOB. This looks so much better than using the custom font used in the second picture. 

06xcwOn.jpg?1

JRmEqoa.jpg?1

• Like 10

T1oYViW.png

14 minutes ago, Glover said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but it looks like someone may have talked some sense into the Guardians with the fonts of the NOB. This looks so much better than using the custom font used in the second picture. 

06xcwOn.jpg?1

JRmEqoa.jpg?1

Thaat may just be spring training gear that doesn't have the updated fonts available. Either way is fine to me. The standard MLB Block does have a slight edge though with some odder naming conventions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glover said:

06xcwOn.jpg?1

JRmEqoa.jpg?1

I appreciate Cleveland for wanting to do something different in trying to reinvent themselves, but the regular NOB font just looks better. 

• Like 4

rAUPGPZ.png