Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

15 hours ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

Make that the big five, and it's a no contest in worst team name as far as I'm concerned.

spacer.png

WFT would be light years ahead  of CF Montreal.

I disagree.

A lot of soccer teams use FC for their names. Montreal followed along into the trend and use the french translation of FC. I think it's great. I'm pretty sure they shortened "Football" to "Foot" so that nobody confuses it with Canadian Football and the Alouettes. Franchises with NFL teams usually only have FC in the logo, again probably to set the 2 sports apart. Miami, one of the exceptions, spell it in spanish "Fútbol".

For American Football, every single team has a standard name. I don't think it will work for any of the big 4 sports franchises to simply call themselves the *insert city* Hockey Team, or Baseball Team, etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

The worst name in the big 4 is Orlando Magic. Very embarrassing.

One of the few things you think of when you think about Orlando is Disney World. The team was smart to capitalize on that (Disney even has ads on the jerseys). As it stands right now, the Minnesota Wild, Washington [insert name], and Los Angeles Clippers* have worse names.

*(Hot take?)

• Like 2

I know I’m in the minority, but... it would totally be a WFT move to go with Groundhogs, and I’m gonna jump on that bandwagon. Or at least I think that’s what they are going to unveil, and then pull a “due to overwhelming dislike of the new name, we are now the xxxx” but it’s all staged to look like the public hated it.

Also, my gut tells me that the WFT roundel will stay in their rotation. If the team can make money on the merch even after the switch, why wouldn’t they? It’s just something I wouldn’t be surprised by.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

45 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

I disagree.

A lot of soccer teams use FC for their names. Montreal followed along into the trend and use the french translation of FC. I think it's great. I'm pretty sure they shortened "Football" to "Foot" so that nobody confuses it with Canadian Football and the Alouettes. Franchises with NFL teams usually only have FC in the logo, again probably to set the 2 sports apart. Miami, one of the exceptions, spell it in spanish "Fútbol".

For American Football, every single team has a standard name. I don't think it will work for any of the big 4 sports franchises to simply call themselves the *insert city* Hockey Team, or Baseball Team, etc.

CF Montreal would have been fine as a new club but the city already had an established identity, even into the MLS era. History does matter, it’s why I wouldn’t mind something like RedHogs for the WFT. I could easily see KC becoming the Wizards again, the whole Sporting thing feels dated already and we’re only like 10 years in to that brand.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, habsfan1 said:

I'm not aware of a team anywhere in the French-speaking world that uses "Club du Foot" in its name.  Now we know why. Quebec French isn't THAT different! 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Digby said:

I'm not aware of a team anywhere in the French-speaking world that uses "Club du Foot" in its name. 

It's the short term for Football used mostly in europeen french vocabulary. I don't know any teams either.

Quebec borrowed a word from their jargon.

Soccer has a very different team name format, and while people complain about MLS using it, I don't think that makes any of their names bad per se.  Let's be honest, the original MLS names were actually much worse:  Dallas Burn?  KC Wiz?  Really bad.

Of the major leagues that use the City + Nickname formula, I think the worst (if taken outside of their historcal context and based just on quality) are:

5.  Cleveland Browns-- Take the history out of it and this is a bad name.  With the history it is totally understandable. 

4.  Minnesota Wild-- The logo is amazing, the name is just wrong. 

3.  LA Lakers-- Outside of Minnesota, this name makes no sense.  

2.  Utah Jazz-- We all know why this is ludicrous.  Had the team not moved, maybe OK.

1. Any team named after the color of the socks they wear.  Would any new team today do that?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

It's the short term for Football used mostly in europeen french vocabulary. I don't know any teams either.

Quebec borrowed a word from their jargon.

Missing the point. The standard in France is FC. Football Club. Take a look at ligue 1 and teams across france. Ever more reason it should have been FC Montréal, as it's a name that works in both French and English. Montréal FC also has backing in French as well.

Yes, foot is used a lot in France and in French. just like basket is to shorten from basketball. Has no bearing that the Impact should have been FC Montréal or Montréal FC.

Back to the '32s discussion. Should be the '32s, though I like WFT more than I expected.

• Like 3

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I think WFT is perfect. It was absurd at first, but I think given the complicated history of the franchise and how difficult it's been to rename it, staying with the Washington Football Team name -- a first in that style for the NFL -- is kind of bold. I hope they keep it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I think WFT is perfect. It was absurd at first, but I think given the complicated history of the franchise and how difficult it's been to rename it, staying with the Washington Football Team name -- a first in that style for the NFL -- is kind of bold. I hope they keep it.

I just see it as a backdoor way to keep the R------s name around. WFT is like those three years between the Cleveland Indians dumping Chief Wahoo and becoming the Cleveland Guardians - unsatisfying and symbolic of how the franchise was dragged kicking and screaming towards adaptation.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Missing the point. The standard in France is FC. Football Club. Take a look at ligue 1 and teams across france. Ever more reason it should have been FC Montréal, as it's a name that works in both French and English. Montréal FC also has backing in French as well.

Yes, foot is used a lot in France and in French. just like basket is to shorten from basketball. Has no bearing that the Impact should have been FC Montréal or Montréal FC.

Technically, you're correct. But FC isn't french enough for Quebec french speakers, so they translated it. Inter Miami also uses CF.

---

32's would be fun for a fantasy franchise in the video game's create-a-team.

For the real thing, it doesn't roll off the tongue as well as Washington Red Hogs or Washington Commanders. I hope Washington Admirals doesn't become the name. I associate the name with the minor league hockey team from Milwaukee much more. There are far better choices to pick from. It they use the name of their Quidditch team, it would be a very uninspired choice to just slap something already being used by various minor league teams.

• Like 1