Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

Gotta be up there with the worst branding overhauls in sports history.  

• Like 25
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

8 hours ago, UncleJunior said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

None of these jerseys look like they belong to the same team. The fact the white jersey has no yellow at all except for the swoosh is just dumb. That wordmark on the home and alternate uniforms is k=just horrible. Even if you got rid of the lines on the top it's horrible. May as well have called this team the Generals, because they look like a team that would get beat by guys wearing candy stripe pants. 

• Like 12

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Well, we wanted the one-helmet rule gone.  And it looks like the commanders are going to take the new rule out for a spin. If they  are really going to wear the black helmet with the white uniform, then this is not really a team with an identifiable helmet. They will have two helmets that are roughly equal.

This is why I was always happy that the one-helmet rule existed.  The helmet is about to take a step down in its role in NFL team identifies.

• Like 12

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I can’t get over the Black helmet! The W on the front just seems so tacky. It’s like they saw Dartmouth and went “that looks fire” without understand what makes it so iconic. It’s closer to the Arizona Hotshots but that at least worked.

I’d call these a train wreck but train wrecks have some semblance of cohesion. These are just awful.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

This is why I was always happy that the one-helmet rule existed.

Unfortunately, the problem is with it in place a lot of the popular throwbacks that would need new shells just can't happen (like Bucco Bruce or Pat Patriot), so it's kinda a lose-lose situation.

That "W" logo is one of those things that skirts between 3D and 2D and bugs the hell out of my eyes.

I'm in the same boat as everyone else though. The awful that is these new Commanders uniforms is completely on par with the 2014-2019 Browns and Buccaneers uniforms. Wow they're bad.

• Like 8

This uniform "set" (with how disjointed each feels, it's hardly a set, but I'm feeling generous) feels like something you'd see out of a movie.  I feel it belongs in the Any Given Sunday universe, where you have the Dallas Knights with a big cross as the front of a uniform (specifically the black helmet with the dumb W on the front).  

(I lied in my previous post.  Apparently not completely speechless)

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Unfortunately, the problem is with it in place a lot of the popular throwbacks that would need new shells just can't happen (like Bucco Bruce or Pat Patriot), so it's kinda a lose-lose situation.

I like some of those throwbacks too but I still want to each team to have a single helmet as a primary identifier. And it looks like that might be going away for some teams. I will like to see Bucco Bruce once a year but I don’t think it is worth seeing identities like this be watered down.

• Like 5

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

8 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Why does Nike hate block fonts?   I am sick of these terrible numbers.  

Two things:

1) The Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets, and (to a lesser degree) the Cleveland Browns say hi. 

2.) In the grand scheme of things--and especially given some of the more heckneyed concoctions the Swoosh has churned out lately--these numbers are actually very tame. I could take or leave the stencil effect thing, but the overall form actually looks clean (and at any rate doesn't have any unnecessary cuts, angles, or serifs--looking at you, Tennesssee).

57 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

Wordmark on left is another test for possible ads on jerseys (like Rams)?

They should just keep previous jerseys

Actually, I think the left chest wordmark on this black jersey approximates the service branch name tapes over the left breast pockets of cammie/utility/combat uniforms. Actually, I think that entire uniform takes after combat/utility uniforms, with the "unit patch" on the left shoulder, and the flag on the right. 

23 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

spacer.png

The only thing I can think of as to why the little W is where it is on the black helmet at that size is to approximate rank emblems on kevlar helmets. (Which would further press that alternate into jingoistic cosplay territory.)

21 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

image.png

If everything else was rather tame by comparison (which with this set is not the case), then there's that one headscratching WTH detail that always seems to make it into Nike's football uniform designs...I got nothing for that one.

All this said, and given the way Nike took to renaming the NBA and WNBA uniform designations (Icon, Association, Statement, et al, and then Heritage, Elite, and Rebel--to "ingeniously" spell H.E.R., by the way), a practice MLS then took up, for some dumb reason, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised to see the Commanders, or perhaps Nike, or both, gave each of these uniforms and at any rate the black alternate some kind of "special nickname".

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

So the franchise had to rebrand because the last name was "racist." So lets scrap the logo that was created by a Native American. And then let's rebrand the entire franchise to a US military theme. The same US military that basically wiped out these same Native Americans and forced them onto reservations.

Perfect. 

Not trying to start a storm with this post or sticking up for the old name. Just pointing out the irony.

• Like 12
  • WOAH 1