Washington Commanders to debut new NFL identity

DCarp1231

No saving this one. 
This rebrand is a failure, and it's disappointing because how many clean-slate opportunities do you get with an NFL franchise? An AAF team name, a completely disjointed and badly designed uniform set, no "real" logo mark, and a feeling of "rushed" when they had 2+ years.

This. Is. Bad.

• Like 24

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

5 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

These uniforms would not have happened if the team name didn't change. If they were still [REDACTED] then they probably would have brought out the Lombardi Era throwback again.

bd7046404335ca688e73fc2252e85bc9.jpg

Most importantly, this stuff is only happening because Dan Snyder is a piece of trash. I'm glad they changed their name but any other team would've done this sensibly.

Eh…maybe. But there’s also a part of me that’s not so sure about that. They made a point to talk about legacy during the behind the scenes a month ago, and the first 1:15 of the reveal is all about legacy and everyone from Sammy Baugh to Joe Gibbs…and they still gave it all the middle finger.

Good riddance 1000x over to the name, but there were still visual elements of the teams’ history worth keeping. Even whole uniforms from the team’s past could’ve been repurposed, stripped of old name and logo, with “W” and “COMMANDERS” slapped on. At that point I’d have bought the “legacy” talk. But the team still chose this route instead. 

It could just be reactionary pessimism on my part, but I feel like something in this disjointed vein was coming whether the name stayed or not. Dan Snyder is Dan Snyder, after all.

• Like 13

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Old Sears catalogs are still awesome...

Commanders alt uniform might be the worst uniform in the history of the league (even worse than the yellow/powder blue Eagles unis)

Still don't understand why they didn't keep the metallic finish on the burgandy helmets...that was always a nice touch. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Apparently uniform cohesion is no longer a thing. They're walking a slippery slope towards NBA and UEFA type change uniforms...

Someone mentioned upthread about how it seems the NFL (and shoot even the NBA) is moving more toward soccer-style "change kits" rather than the standard home/aways we're used to. If the Rams and now these are signal flares, I'd say he's right...and if so, I don't know that any of us knows what that means for the future of NFL branding.

Oh and here's a better look at the black helmet:

washington-commanders.jpg?w=650

They better not ever think of wearing "gold" pants with that alternate...it already looks enough like the Steelers as it is.

• Like 10

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

How the F do they not have dandelion outlines on the white jersey?  They completely took a crap on the traditions that they no only claimed that they were going to maintain, but still claim that they did maintain.

For better or for worse, the NFC East is one of the more traditional divisions, and now they stand out like a bruised and bloody thumb.  

The "using a driver for a 3" put" analogy is pretty spot on.  They could have just done a Jaguars to "tear it down to bare bones" and then built it back up over time.

This.  I could maybe get on board with the burgundy primary if the white uniform looked like it was part of the same set. The  jerseys look like they belong to three different teams (The Commanders, Arizona State, and the Arizona Cardinals).  This change took, what, four times as long as the Guardians change and I'd say the Guardians did a lot better.  They actually maintained the franchise's traditional look, unlike 2/3 of this junk.

To top it all off, they missed a layup.  All they really needed to do was take the WFT uniforms and put the "W" on the helmet.  

• Name: B. It's not great, but it's a lot to ask of a team to really hit the name out of the park.
  • Burgundy Uniform: B-. It's servicable.  If the rest of the set matched it, I would not think of them as one worst looking teams in the NFL.  However...
  • Alternate Uniforms: D. I could deal with one being worn once a year with the burgundy helmet. It's not necessary but it would not be the end of the world. But throw on the black helmet and tradition is dead.
  • White Uniform: F.  No yellow. Silly diamond/gradient pattern. Looks more like the AZ Cardinals than the Commanders.  
  • Burgundy Helmet: B. Unspectacular but nice enough.
  • Black Helmet: F. Unnecessary even if it was designed well. And a bad sign of what's to come in the NFL.

This really seems like a college identity with a dash of NBA. No team in NFL history has looked further apart between their dark and white looks.

• Like 7

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

18 minutes ago, Est1980 said:

Creating a fight-song in modern times? Good luck with that.  Fight songs that still exist (PHI, CHI, MIA, etc) have been been "grandfathered" into the fabric of those teams through time, shielded from ridicule by the armor of tradition.   'HTTR' was one of those fight songs (RIP).  I think it's easier to adopt a song like the Bills have with "Shout" or something that isn't hokey-ra-ra, otherwise you'll end up with some cringy fight song like Real Salt Lake. 

Too bad they waited until after Chuck Brown passed to do the rebrand. 

57 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

The white jersey would not be a bad option for the Cardinals. 

spacer.png

Doesn't having bright yellow numbers on a camo jersey go against the definition camouflage? They should have just copied the crappy military jerseys they release every year.

• Like 3

The "W" isn't a copy of these two, but it's definitely related. It's the store where you could buy the Washington version of the shirseys @infrared41posted above.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The jerseys are overdesigned and there's no coherent look between the three. There's zero design in the pants and the socks. It's like Dan Snyder finally launched the Arena Football franchise he bought the rights to 15-20 years ago.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Overall thoughts: LOVE the new burgundy helmet. It's sharp af. Ironically my least favorite part of the set is the black helmet. Its trash. Numbers on the side and...a w on the actual front...wut? Home jerseys are fine. Not bad at all. Hope they pair it with white pants more often than not. White uniform literally could be a great updated away uniform for the Cardinals. It just doesnt go with the home uniform (yes...I know NYG is like that)...idk. dont really like that. It's a cool uniform in a vacuum. Black uniform is fine(edit...until I saw the nameplate lines). Dont like the helmet. Roundel logo is way too busy. I do appreciate them honoring their championship years on it. I like when teams do that.

I can't believe a lot of you are saying it's the worst uniform in the league...this is A LOT better than Tennessee and it's not even close. 

• Huh? 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

For any of you who are fans of reality tv competition shows, you may recognize the new Commanders logo from The Challenge on MTV

Washington Commanders officially is NFL team's new name

The_Challenge.png

I was trying to place where that came from!! I was thinking it was from a rejected Law & Order show. LOL!!!! Or Nike just took some NBA branding and moved it over,

Nba Finals Logo Png - Nba Playoff Logo, Transparent Png -  1140x570(#2925606) - PngFind

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png